Online Test for Autism and Mental Health Issues
Published : 2011-06-09
Author : Dr. Bonny Forrest
Synopsis* : Parents and teachers concerned about a childs mental health and development can get immediate answers from an online screening with Project SKIP.
Main DigestOn-Line Screening for Autism and Mental Health Issues Provides Parents With Immediate Results.
Parents and teachers concerned about a child's mental health and development can now get immediate answers from an online screening with Project SKIP (Screening Kids for Intervention and Prevention) (www.projectskip.com).
Project SKIP was developed by Dr. Bonny Forrest, a psychologist and attorney, who has more than a decade of experience working with children with mental health issues and development disabilities, including autism.
"Project SKIP has been my passion for more than 10 years," said Dr. Forrest. "We have developed the program to effectively and efficiently screen children for social-emotional, cognitive, and developmental delays (including autism) through the use of gold standard on-line instruments." Project SKIP is for kids from the ages of two through 18.
"In May," noted Forrest, "a U.S. Government study found that 1 in 7 children have a developmental disability. Yet sadly, only about 50 percent of children with developmental problems are identified before they enter school. The parents and teachers of these children deserve to have a reliable screening tool at their disposal."
With SKIP, any parent or teacher can log on, any time, and for a $20 fee, get immediate feedback a child's behavior in relation to other children of the same age.
Dr. Forrest emphasized that the screening does not provide a diagnosis, but begins the process of understanding a child's mental health and developmental needs to access supports at home and in school.
In addition to the online screening, Dr. Forrest will provide parents and teachers with a 15 minute consult if their child is found to be "at risk" for a mental health issue or development delay. The consultation will focus on helping the parent identify any necessary follow-up services.
"We need to take mental health and developmental screening to the level of prevention in this country," said Forrest. "We brush our teeth every day, why aren't we screening for these issues regularly"
About Dr. Bonny Forrest - After practicing law for more than a decade, Dr. Forrest received her Ph.D. from Columbia University with fellowships at Yale University and the National Institute of Mental Health.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Autism Documents
- 1 - The Novel Coronavirus and Your Autistic Child : Dr. Lynette Louise offers tips to help relieve worry and ease health risks from COVID-19 when your child has autism.
- 2 - CARD Reacts to CDC Announcement of 15% Increase in Autism Rate : Autism Speaks state that the new numbers indicate a persistent undercount of autisms true prevalence among the nations children.
- 3 - Autism Prevalence Now Equals 1 in 59 American Children : Report published in CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) Surveillance Summary shows about 1 in 59 eight year-old children in 11 communities across the United States identified as having autism in 2014.
- 4 - Worldwide Free Online Course About Autism : Autism course will run from April 30 to June 1, 2018, the workload is around 2 hours a week and can be undertaken on-demand, all participants will receive a certificate upon completion.
- 5 - Autism's Social Deficits Reversed by Romidepsin Anti-Cancer Drug : Using an epigenetic mechanism, romidepsin restored gene expression and alleviated social deficits in animal models of autism.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Dr. Bonny Forrest. Electronic Publication Date: 2011-06-09. Title: Online Test for Autism and Mental Health Issues, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/health/neurology/autism/project-skip.php>Online Test for Autism and Mental Health Issues</a>. Retrieved 2021-05-05, from https://www.disabled-world.com/health/neurology/autism/project-skip.php - Reference: DW#293-7894.