Dental Implants Restore Youth to Aging Population
Author: Richmond Smile Center
Dental implants lead to a more youthful appearance by maintaining the bone structure of the face.
Main DigestThanks in part to the slow-to-recover economy, more seniors are working later in life and deferring retirement. In youth-obsessed American culture, many of those seniors know they need to look younger to stay competitive in the workforce. Charles Martin DDS, founder of the Richmond Smile Center, has one solution: dental implants.
"Dental implants lead to a more youthful appearance by maintaining the bone structure of the face," Dr. Martin explained. "And we now know a healthy mouth contributes to both physical and psychological health. Seniors with dental implants are able to eat better than those with dentures or with uncorrected tooth loss, and they report feeling better about themselves."
Removable dentures make it difficult to chew many of the foods found in a balanced, healthful diet, resulting in increased occurrence of gastrointestinal disorders; dentures also accelerate gum and bone erosion. Many denture wearers even find themselves gaining additional wrinkles, losing facial tone and having difficulty speaking clearly because their musculature and tongue dynamics simply are not truly compatible with dentures.
Dental implants, on the other hand, function like real tooth roots. Once an implant is anchored in the jawbone, a skilled dentist can attach a new tooth to it. Dental implants should not cause bone or gum loss or affect speech. Plus, says Dr. Martin, dental implants are just plain comfortable.
"For many people, implants are nothing short of a miracle," Dr. Martin stated. "Dental implants protect adjacent teeth from excessive stress while enabling patients to maintain their smiles and chew properly. Those factors contribute to a more youthful appearance and better quality of life - both of which are necessary if seniors intend to keep working past their expected retirement age."
About Richmond Smile Center and Charles Martin DDS -Founded by Charles Martin DDS, the Richmond Smile Center is a technologically advanced dental practice that delivers dental implant surgery, dental sedation, cosmetic dentistry and complex care dentistry. The Center is renowned for its smile makeovers. Dr. Martin, a graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, is a Master in the Academy of General Dentistry, Diplomat of the American Board of Oral Implantology/Implant Dentistry and has taught at Georgetown University and the Medical College of Virginia. He is the author of Are Your Teeth Killing You; Don't Sugar Coat It: The Story of Diabetes and Dentistry; and This Won't Hurt a Bit! The Smart Consumer's Guide to Dentistry. Learn more at www.cosmeticdentistryrichmond.com
- 1 - Children Should Use Fluoridated Toothpaste : University of Manchester (2010/01/20)
- 2 - Home Teeth Whitening Options for Stained or Yellow Teeth : Disabled World (2009/03/16)
- 3 - Common Foods and Drinks that Stain Teeth : Disabled World (2012/09/11)
- 4 - Get Rid of Coffee Stains On Teeth : Disabled World (2009/03/16)
- 5 - When Should I Start Taking My Child to the Dentist : Disabled World (2010/08/07)
- 6 - Do Teeth Whitening Kits Really Work : Disabled World (2009/03/16)
- 7 - Home Teeth Whitening Reduces Tooth Enamel : Journal of Dentistry (2009/04/14)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.