Swallow Fluoride at Your Own Risk
Author: NYS Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc.
Children who consume recommended fluoride doses have more fluoride damaged teeth and high cavity rates.
Main DigestSwallow Fluoride at Your Own Peril - Study Shows Risks without Benefits...
Low-income children who consumed recommended fluoride doses have more fluoride-damaged teeth and high cavity rates, according to research published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, January 2011.
Fluoride (hydrofluosilicic acid) is added to U.S. water supplies in a failed effort to reduce tooth decay. However, in Mexico fluoride is added to salt because water fluoride levels are low.
Mexican preschoolers and school-aged children in a low-income area were measured for cavities, fluorosis (fluoride-discolored teeth) and urine fluoride levels.
Despite urinary excretion within an optimal fluoride intake range, 78% of 4- to 5-year-olds and 73% of 11- to 12-year-olds have cavities while 60% of the older children have dental fluorosis.
In this study, dental fluorosis was significantly associated with the amount of toothpaste used, age and frequency of brushing. Three-fourths of the parents used fluoridated salt for cooking.
Fluoride was measured in bottled water, juices, nectars and carbonated drinks (range 0.08 ppm to 1.70 ppm)
The researchers report that "the results of previous studies show that the consumption of fluoridated water in addition to fluoride-containing products may promote an increased development of dental fluorosis lesions, even in people living in regions considered to be non-endemic areas."
"Legislators cavalierly order fluoride into the bodies of American children without considering their individual total fluoride intake, clearly causing potential harm," says attorney Paul Beeber, President, New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. "Legislators who vote for fluoridation often base their decision on hearsay and fail to look at the science behind fluoridation."
The researchers stress individual variables be considered before fluoride is administered such as nutritional status, total fluoride ingestion and excretion. Also, environment and geographical factors should be evaluated, including location, weather and altitude.
The CDC admits that fluoride's predominant mode of action is topical and that "(t)he prevalence of dental caries in a population is not inversely related to the concentration of fluoride in enamel, and a higher concentration of enamel fluoride is not necessarily more efficacious in preventing dental caries."
This study adds to a growing body of evidence indicating that fluoride ingestion is ineffective at reducing tooth decay, therefore making water fluoridation an outdated drug delivery system. See: www.fluoridealert.org/health/teeth/caries/topical-systemic.html
- 1 - How to Get Rid of Bad Breath Naturally : Disabled World (2009/07/19)
- 2 - Canker Sores or Mouth Ulcers : Terry E. (2009/03/29)
- 3 - Tonsillectomy Surgery Procedures and Information : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/01/08)
- 4 - Periodontitis Needs Evaluation for Heart Disease Risk : Elsevier (2009/06/30)
- 5 - Oral Thrush: Symptoms, Causes and Treatments : Thomas C. Weiss (2016/02/21)
- 6 - TMD Jaw Pain Study Sheds Light on Pain Disorders : UNC News Services (2011/11/10)
- 7 - Periodontal Disease Tooth Loss and Gum Disease : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/04/11)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.