Tips for Good Oral Health Habits
Published : 2010-10-02
Author : United Concordia Dental
Synopsis* : National Dental Hygiene Month tips to help build good oral hygiene habits.
Main DigestCelebrate National Dental Hygiene Month by Building Good Oral Health Habits.
In celebration of National Dental Hygiene Month in October, United Concordia Dental, one of the nation's largest dental insurers, offers several tips to help build good oral hygiene habits.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day for two to three minutes. Make sure to get the outer and inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of each tooth.
- Encourage children to brush by making it a family activity.
- Floss once a day to remove plaque from between teeth. Help children learn healthy flossing habits so when they're capable, they know how to do it properly.
- Eat a healthy diet, rich in fruit and veggies. Avoid sugary foods and eat a high fiber diet of fruits and veggies such as apples and carrots to help prevent tooth decay.
- See the dentist regularly. Children should start seeing a dentist within six months of getting their first tooth.
- Ask the dentist what toothpaste family members should use. Not all toothpaste is appropriate for all ages.
"It's important that you - and your children - see a dentist regularly," said Jerome Blum, corporate dental director, DDS. "Dentists not only take care of your teeth, they are also trained to look for signs of other issues, including bumps and sores that may be signs of a medical problem."
"At United Concordia, we take the oral health of our members very seriously," he said. "In fact, we are presently conducting a study to better understand the link between oral health and such medical conditions as heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Our ultimate goal is to help children and their parents understand the importance of proper dental care."
For a library of information about good oral health, visit the Dental Health Center on www.UnitedConcordia.com
You're reading Disabled World. See our homepage for informative disability news, reviews, sports, stories and how-tos. You can also connect with us on social media such as Twitter and Facebook or learn more about Disabled World on our about us page.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Cite Page: Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: United Concordia Dental. Electronic Publication Date: 2010-10-02. Title: Tips for Good Oral Health Habits, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/health/oral/oral-health.php>Tips for Good Oral Health Habits</a>. Retrieved 2021-06-13, from https://www.disabled-world.com/health/oral/oral-health.php - Reference: DW#284-5670.