Tips for Good Oral Health Habits
Author: United Concordia Dental
National Dental Hygiene Month tips to help build good oral hygiene habits.
Main DigestCelebrate National Dental Hygiene Month by Building Good Oral Health Habits.
In celebration of National Dental Hygiene Month in October, United Concordia Dental, one of the nation's largest dental insurers, offers several tips to help build good oral hygiene habits.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day for two to three minutes. Make sure to get the outer and inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of each tooth.
- Encourage children to brush by making it a family activity.
- Floss once a day to remove plaque from between teeth. Help children learn healthy flossing habits so when they're capable, they know how to do it properly.
- Eat a healthy diet, rich in fruit and veggies. Avoid sugary foods and eat a high fiber diet of fruits and veggies such as apples and carrots to help prevent tooth decay.
- See the dentist regularly. Children should start seeing a dentist within six months of getting their first tooth.
- Ask the dentist what toothpaste family members should use. Not all toothpaste is appropriate for all ages.
"It's important that you - and your children - see a dentist regularly," said Jerome Blum, corporate dental director, DDS. "Dentists not only take care of your teeth, they are also trained to look for signs of other issues, including bumps and sores that may be signs of a medical problem."
"At United Concordia, we take the oral health of our members very seriously," he said. "In fact, we are presently conducting a study to better understand the link between oral health and such medical conditions as heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Our ultimate goal is to help children and their parents understand the importance of proper dental care."
For a library of information about good oral health, visit the Dental Health Center on www.UnitedConcordia.com
- 1 - How to Get Rid of Bad Breath Naturally : Disabled World (2009/07/19)
- 2 - Canker Sores or Mouth Ulcers : Terry E. (2009/03/29)
- 3 - Tonsillectomy Surgery Procedures and Information : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/01/08)
- 4 - Periodontitis Needs Evaluation for Heart Disease Risk : Elsevier (2009/06/30)
- 5 - Oral Thrush: Symptoms, Causes and Treatments : Thomas C. Weiss (2016/02/21)
- 6 - TMD Jaw Pain Study Sheds Light on Pain Disorders : UNC News Services (2011/11/10)
- 7 - Periodontal Disease Tooth Loss and Gum Disease : Thomas C. Weiss (2009/04/11)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.