The childhood cancer awareness ribbon is gold in color. September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, a time to honor and remember children and families affected by these rare diseases. International Childhood Cancer Awareness Day was on 3rd February in 2015.
Childhood Cancer Types - Thomas C. Weiss - (2009-02-02)
Quick Facts: Quick Pediatric
- Stroke can occur before birth, in infants, children and young adults. Risk of stroke is highest in the first year of life and peaks during the perinatal period (a few weeks before and after birth).
- A child who favors one hand, leaves the other hand in a fist or doesn't bring both hands together during play needs to be referred to an early intervention program and a pediatric neurologist for further testing.
- Of the 12,000 babies in the United States born annually with some form of hearing loss, only half exhibit a risk factor - meaning that if only high-risk infants are screened, half of the infants with some form of hearing loss will not be tested and identified.
- Until the 1990s, children born with permanent hearing loss typically would not have been identified and diagnosed until 2.5 to 3 years of age. Since the initiation of newborn hearing screening and EHDI programs, the average age of hearing loss identification has decreased to 2-3 months of age.
Statistics: U.S. Childhood Cancer
- Childhood cancer rates have been rising slightly for the past few decades.
- Childhood cancers make up less than 1% of all cancers diagnosed each year.
- About 10,380 children in the United States under the age of 15 will be diagnosed with cancer in 2015.
- Because of major treatment advances in recent decades, more than 80% of children with cancer now survive 5 years or more.
- Cancer is the second leading cause of death in children (after accidents). About 1,250 children younger than 15 years old are expected to die from cancer in 2015.
Latest Pediatrics Publications
- Increased Risk for Abuse for Children with Specific Birth Defects
- Childhood Trauma: Symptoms & Behavior Information
- CHOPS Syndrome: New Early Development Genetic Syndrome
- Baby Formula - Higher Arsenic Risk than Breast Milk
- Bad Behavior in Kids Often Points to Later Problems
Click Here for Full List - (93 Items)
Loan Information for low income singles, families, seniors and disabled. Includes home, vehicle and personal loans.