Holistic Health: Nutrition and General Information
Synopsis: Information on the alternative medicine of holistic health a harmony and balance within all aspects of self body mind and spirit. The holistic approach takes the broadest possible view of illness and disease, identifying multiple internal and external causes and offering multidimensional healing rather than specific cures. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates 65 to 80% of the population use holistic naturopathic medicine as a primary form of health care.
What is Exactly is Holistic Health?
Holistic health is a philosophy of medical care that views physical and mental aspects of life as closely interconnected and equally important approaches to treatment. While frequently associated with alternative medicine, it is also increasingly used in mainstream medical practice as part of a broad view of patient care.
The holistic approach takes the broadest possible view of illness and disease, identifying multiple causes (both internal and external), and offering multidimensional "healing," rather than specific "cures." Holistic health is as concerned with one's propensity towards disease as it is with its transmission. These include:
- Breathing exercises
- Nutritional supplements
- Self-regulatory practices
- Psycho-spiritual counseling
- Natural diet and herbal remedies
Holistic health addresses not only symptoms, but the entire person, and his or her current life predicament, including family, job, and religious life. Holistic Health is harmony and balance within all aspects of self:
The whole lifestyle of the person is addressed, taking into consideration diet, exercise, the mind, and emotions, one's spiritual outlook, and the interaction between family, friends, co-workers, society and nature. The goal is a wellness that encompasses the entire person, rather than just the lack of physical pain or disease. This means that not feeling sick, does not necessary mean you are well, just that you are between well and sick.
Holistic health is not itself a method of treatment, but is an approach to how treatment should be applied. Holistic concepts of health and fitness view achieving and maintaining good health as requiring more than just taking care of the various singular components that constitute the physical body, additionally incorporating aspects such as emotional and spiritual well-being.
Historically, Holistic health has not been widely practiced in North America and has not been legitimized as a valid process. According to Robbie Davis-Floyd in "Medical Anthropology- Modern Midwives, Issue 20", she states that there are "links between tradition, ancestry, home remedies, the earth and the biomedical systems".
Image depicts various herbs and spices in a mixing bowl and oil bottle.
Holistic Health Facts and Statistics
- One out of three drugs prescribed in Germany is a herb.
- 74 percent of the American population desires a natural approach to health care.
- 19 percent of Fortune 500 companies offer alternative medicine as part of their health care compensation packages.
- A holistic doctor may use all forms of health care, from conventional medication to alternative therapies, to treat a patient.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates 65 to 80% of the population use holistic naturopathic medicine as a primary form of health care.
- Traditional Chinese medicine has been chosen by the World Health Organization for worldwide propagation to meet the heath care needs of the twenty-first century.
- Holistic medicine practitioners believe that the whole person is made up of interdependent parts and if one part is not working properly, all the other parts will be affected.
- Holistic medicine is also based on the belief that unconditional love and support is the most powerful healer, and a person is ultimately responsible for his or her health and well-being.
- Americans make more visits to holistic health care providers (600 million a year) than to M.D.'s and spend more money out-of-pocket to do so - about $30 billion a year by recent estimates. (Newsweek, 12/2002)
Holistic health (holistic medicine) is a diverse field of alternative medicine in which the complete person is focused on, not just the malady itself. Holistic Health is actually an approach to life. The holistic concept in medical practice, which is distinct from the concept in the alternative medicine, upholds that all aspects of people's needs including psychological, physical and social should be considered and seen as a whole. With Holistic Health, people accept responsibility for their level of well-being, and everyday choices are used to take charge of one's own health.
Holistic Health Care Facts and Statistics - Dorothy M. Neddermeyer, PhD.
👍 Share This Information To:
𝕏.com Facebook Reddit
Page Information, Citing and Disclaimer
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as X.com and our Facebook page.
Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/alternative/holistic/">Holistic Health: Nutrition and General Information</a>
Cite This Page (APA): Disabled World. (2022, April 13). Holistic Health: Nutrition and General Information. Disabled World. Retrieved February 24, 2024 from www.disabled-world.com/medical/alternative/holistic/
Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are never meant to substitute for qualified professional medical care. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.