Holistic Health Care Facts and Statistics
Synopsis: The World Health Organization estimates 65 - 80 percent of the population use holistic naturopathic medicine as a primary form of health care. Americans make more visits to holistic health care providers (some 600 million a year) than to M.D.s and spend more money out-of-pocket to do so about $30 billion a year by recent estimates. Holistic, Metaphysical, Energy or Mind, Body, Spirit healing has existed since the beginning of time amid religious beliefs and practices, along with the mystery, superstition, fear, and misunderstanding.
The Baby boomers-those born 1946 through 1964-are the largest population to require health care than ever before.
Medical practitioners and pharmaceutical companies are focusing on what pills, potions or surgeries the baby boomers-turned seniors will be likely to use in the next 30 - 40 years. Ironically, the majority of people tend to be concerned about their health after something major has occurred. The truth is if we consistently take good care of our health the aging process has little impact.
Baby boomers are voicing their concerns about better health, more than prior generations. However, many do not know where to find information and options, other than Traditional Western Medicine (TWM).
Few people research the plethora of side effects for prescription or over-the-counter (OTC) drugs-not to mention that prescription and OTC drugs are formulated to take over and hijack your body's biochemistry. Prescription and OTC drugs force blood pressure to be lower/higher or force the liver to stop manufacturing healthy cholesterol. In fact, prescription or OTC drugs interfere with normal human metabolism, and that is one reason why prescription drugs are killing people. Yet, conventional medical doctors rely on propaganda about the unknown side effects of holistic health care to convince people that only prescription or OTC drugs are safe. It is NOT that they are terrified about the side effects of holistic health care-they are terrified of people being well and they won't have their business of prescribing life-long pills and potions. Western Medicine is profit driven.
If everyone knew they could prevent some diseases with plant extracts, medicinal herbs, natural vitamins, minerals, and supplements, as well as having peace of mind-the pharmaceutical and medical industry would collapse overnight.
Holistic, Metaphysical, Energy or Mind, Body, Spirit healing has existed since the beginning of time amid religious beliefs and practices, along with the mystery, superstition, fear, and misunderstanding. Holistic Healing is now becoming recognized regardless of what anyone chooses to believe or think.
Holistic Health Care Use Facts and Statistics
- According to CNN one-half of all medical schools now offer courses in holistic health care.
- Almost one-third of American medical schools-among them Harvard, Yale, John's Hopkins, and Georgetown Universities-now offer coursework in holistic methods.
- There are five homeopathic hospitals in Great British National Service.
- One out of three drugs prescribed in Germany is an herb.
- The World Health Organization estimates that between 65 to 80 percent of the world's population (about 3 billion people) rely on holistic medicine as their primary form of health care.
- In 1993, American consumers spent almost $1.5 billion dollars on herbal remedies-ten times more than was spent on over-the-counter sleeping pills from grocery stores and drug stores.
- Approximately $22 million of U.S. government money has already been spent on alternative medical research since 1992 at the National Institutes of Health and Public Health Services.
- The American Medical Association (AMA), in Resolution #514, "is encouraging its members to become better in-formed regarding holistic medicine and to participate in appropriate studies of it.
- Mutual of Omaha says it saves about $6.50 in covering non-standard (holistic) treatments.
- One out of every ten Americans is under the care of a chiropractor.
- In 1991, Americans made more visits to unconventional health care providers (425 million) than to conventional doctors (388 million).
- One out of three Americans were using unconventional medicine in 1991.
- Americans spent almost $13.7 billion on unconventional health care in 1991.
- 75 percent of that $13.7 billion (above) was out of pocket.
- 12 percent of Fortune 500 companies offer alternative medicine as part of their health care compensation packages. That percentage was expected to increase to 18 percent by the end of 1996.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) A nationwide government survey of more than 31,000 adults on their use of complimentary and alternative medicine (CAM) showed that 36 percent of U.S. adults use some form of CAM.
- The World Health Organization, estimates that between 65 to 80 percent of the world's population (about 3 billion people) rely on naturopathic or homeopathic medicine as their primary form of health care.
- Worldwide, only 10 to 30 percent of people use traditional medicine, 70 to 90 percent use naturopathic and homeopathic health care.
- 74 percent of the American population desires a natural approach to health care.
- Of the one out of three Americans who say they have used natural techniques, 84 percent said they would use it again.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine has been chosen by the World Health Organization for worldwide propagation to meet the health care needs of the twenty-first century.
- The U.S. government sponsors the use of acupuncture in drug rehabilitation programs.
- In a Mayo Clinic study of 50 patients, six acupuncture treatments given over two to three weeks significantly improved their symptoms of pain and fatigue. Time, 2005
- Americans make more visits to holistic health care providers (some 600 million a year) than to M.D.s and spend more money out-of-pocket to do so about $30 billion a year by recent estimates. Newsweek, 12/2002
- A recent study performed by the American Massage Therapy Association revealed that 28 percent of people received a massage from a massage therapist in the past five years, up from 17 percent in 1997. Eighteen percent said they had a massage in the past 12 months. That's 10 percent higher than was reported in 1997. American Massage Therapy Association, 8/2002.
Holistic Health Care Practices Include:
- Aromatherapy/flower essences
- Ayurvedic medicine
- Chelation therapy
- Essential Oils
- Guided imagery
- Herbology/Herbal remedies
- Mind, Body, Spirit healing (using the unconscious mind)
- Movement and exercise therapy
- Nutrition therapy
- Reiki/energy medicine
- Relaxation response
- Therapeutic touch
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
The Journal of the American Medical Association Vol. 284 July 26, 2000, published an article documenting the tragedy of Traditional Western Medicine (TWM) paradigm. The author, Dr. Barbara Starfield of Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health describes how the U.S. health care system may contribute to poor health. Doctors, she stated, are the third leading cause of death in the U.S., causing 250,000 deaths every year.
This information is a follow-up to the Institute of Medicine report December, 1999, but the data was hard to reference as it was not in peer-reviewed journal. Now it is published in JAMA which is the most widely circulated medical periodical in the world.
Deaths Per Year:
- 12,000 - unnecessary surgery
- 7,000 - medication errors in hospitals
- 20,000 - other errors in hospitals
- 80,000 - infections in hospitals
- 106,000 - non-error, negative effects of drugs
250,000 deaths per year from iatrogenic - death induced in a patient by a physician's activity, manner, or therapy, especially of a complication of treatment causes - is outrageous! Yet, the majority of people continue to trust the medical profession to 'cure' them, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.
Of 13 countries in a recent comparison, the United States ranks an average of 12th (second from the bottom) for 16 available health indicators! The ranking of the U.S. on several indicators was:
- 13th (last) for low-birth-weight percentages
- 13th for neonatal mortality and infant mortality overall 14
- 11th for post neonatal mortality
- 13th for years of potential life lost (excluding external causes)
- 11th for life expectancy at 1 year for females, 12th for males
- 10th for life expectancy at 15 years for females, 12th for males
- 10th for life expectancy at 40 years for females, 9th for males
- 7th for life expectancy at 65 years for females, 7th for males
- 3rd for life expectancy at 80 years for females, 3rd for males
- 10th for age-adjusted mortality
The poor performance of the U.S. medical profession was recently confirmed by a World Health Organization study, which used different data and ranked the United States as 15th among 25 industrialized countries.
Reference: Dorothy M. Neddermeyer, PhD, Life Coach, Hypnotherapist, Author, "101 Great Ways To Improve Your Life." Dr. Dorothy has the unique gift of connecting people with a broad range of profound principles that resonate in the deepest part of their being. She brings awareness to concepts not typically obvious to one's daily thoughts and feelings.
This quality-reviewed publication pertaining to our Holistic Health section was selected for circulation by the editors of Disabled World due to its likely interest to our disability community readers. Though the content may have been edited for style, clarity, or length, the article "Holistic Health Care Facts and Statistics" was originally written by Dorothy M. Neddermeyer, PhD, and submitted for publishing on 2009/01/16 (Edit Update: 2020/11/22). Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith.
📢 Discover Related Topics
👍 Share This Information To:
𝕏.com Facebook Reddit
Page Information, Citing and Disclaimer
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as X.com and our Facebook page.
Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/alternative/holistic/care-statistics.php">Holistic Health Care Facts and Statistics</a>
Cite This Page (APA): Dorothy M. Neddermeyer, PhD. (2009, January 16). Holistic Health Care Facts and Statistics. Disabled World. Retrieved February 27, 2024 from www.disabled-world.com/medical/alternative/holistic/care-statistics.php
Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are never meant to substitute for qualified professional medical care. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.