Home Remedies: Traditional Cures for Health Ailments
Synopsis: List of home remedies for alternative health treatment and medical conditions including herbs, spices, and essential oils.
Updated - Revised Date: 2019-03-28
What is a Home Remedy?
A Home remedy is defined as a simply prepared medication or tonic often of unproven effectiveness administered without prescription or professional supervision. Home remedies may or may not have medicinal properties that treat or cure the disease or ailment in question. Every civilization defines, views and applies its home remedies differently. Historic cookbooks are frequently full of remedies for dyspepsia, fevers, and female complaints. Home remedies may or may not have medicinal properties that treat or cure the disease or ailment in question, as they are typically passed along by laypersons. A common error is to confuse home remedies with homeopathic remedies. In fact, the two concepts are unrelated.
Home remedies have become increasingly popular as the expense and hassle of conventional medicine continues to rise. Beyond the convenience, home remedies have found favor with a public that wants to take a more holistic approach to its ailments.
Today herbs are catching a lot of attention due to their very nature of cure: simple, no side effects, no chemicals, inexpensive, plus the ability of being able to cure yourself. This trend for resorting to home remedies is not new. In fact, they have their origin in ancient times. Traditionally, in India, plants with medicinal value, were grown in home gardens. These plants were used effectively as self help remedies for managing primary health care.
Close up image of age old favorite home remedy ingredients; garlic, ginger, onion, peppers, and herbs.
More and more today it seems modern science is only working to herd us into our local doctors office and load us up with expensive prescriptions drugs.
Natural remedies can be used to efficiently treat a range of ailments through correct and regular usage. Whether it is to boost your child's immune system, preventing avoiding hair loss, treating persistent acne or dandruff, treating aches, pains or cuts and burns. The medicament present in many home remedies is in the form of alkaloids, essential oils, enzymes, trace elements and minerals. Once absorbed they are assimilated only in the quantity needed by the human body.
One of the more popular examples of a home remedy is the use of chicken soup to treat respiratory infections such as a cold or mild flu, and according to recent studies, this may actually be effective. Did you know that 6 cherries have the same effect as 1 aspirin? Plus cherries are filled with antioxidants.
Other examples of medically successful home remedies include willow bark tea to cure headaches and fevers (willow bark contains a form of acetylsalicylic acid, also known as aspirin); duct tape to help with setting broken bones; and duct tape or super-glue to treat plantar warts; and Kogel mogel to treat sore throat.
Many Things Can Act as Medicinal Cures
For herbal home remedies or natural home remedies, the kitchen is a great place to start. It has almost all the medicines you would probable need at least, to deal with common ailments.
One of the most important facts about herbal remedies that consumers should be aware of is the fact that, unlike other treatments, they are not governed by any governmental agency. This means there is no quality assurance system in place to insure that the herbal remedy product you purchase contains nothing that would harm you, or even works for that matter.
Just remember that these home remedies don't provide miracle cures and aren't meant to take the place of the advice and treatments prescribed by your health-care professional. In fact, quite a few herbal remedies have adverse affects whey combined with other medications; particularly prescription meds. For example herbal remedies, including St. John's wort, Ginko biloba and Ginseng have very dangerous side effects when mixed with antidepressants.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration specifically prohibits the manufacturers and marketers of herbal remedies from claiming that their product is able to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any kind of disease or illness. This doesn't stop many companies from coming as close to that line as possible; or even going over it.
Here are Some Example Home Remedies
- Wipe your feet with a vodka-soaked rag to eliminate foot odor.
- Drink a cup of green tea to kill any trace of garlic or onion odor.
- Soaking your feet in Listerine mouthwash for 15-20 minutes, twice a day, will cure most cases of toenail fungus.
- Hiccups are annoying, but now you can stop them within one minute simply by swallowing a teaspoon full of dry sugar.
- Studies have shown that chewing peppermint or cinnamon gum increases awareness and reduces fatigue by as much as 20%.
- Chicken soup for a cold - Many studies have shown that the homemade remedy has anti-inflammatory effects that soothe sore throats and clear stuffy noses.
- Cucumber compresses for a headache works as it relieves a throbbing head by tightening blood vessels, lessening blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - Fruit Pectin for Arthritis Pain and Inflammation : Thomas C. Weiss (2016/01/12)
- 2 - Copper Sulfate (Bluestone): Uses and Remedies : Disabled World (2014/09/10)
- 3 - Effective Natural Home Cures for Cervical Spondylosis : Disabled World (2012/03/30)
- 4 - How to Treat Arthritis Pain Naturally at Home : Lionel Sweetman (2010/06/19)
- 5 - Some Natural Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain : Charles Gray (2010/06/18)
- 6 - Remedies for Dry Mouth Syndrome : Disabled World (2009/07/19)
- 7 - Home Remedy for Sore Throat : Disabled World (2009/07/19)
Home Remedies: Full Document List
Disclaimer: Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Disclosure: Disabled World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information.