Skin Tags - How to Remove Acrochordon at Home
Author: Disabled World : Contact: Disabled World
Published: 2009-06-24 : (Rev. 2016-12-02)
Synopsis and Key Points:
A number of suggestions on ways to remove skin tags using home remedies and household products.
An acrochordon (plural acrochorda, and also known as a cutaneous skin tag, skin tag, fibroepithelial polyp, cutaneous papilloma, fibroma molluscum, fibroma pendulum, papilloma colli, or soft fibroma, is a small benign tumor that forms primarily in areas where the skin forms creases, such as the neck, armpit, and groin and looks like a small piece of hanging skin.
Skin tags are not skin cancers and cannot turn into skin cancers. Skin tags are often described as bits of skin or flesh-colored tissue that projects from the surrounding skin from a small, narrow stalk. They can be skin color, or darker and can range from 1mm to 5mm in size. Both men and women tend to get skin tags as they age. Skin tags are also more common in pregnant women, obese people, and people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. About 46% of people develop skin tags at some point in their lives.
A number of medical procedures are also used for skin tag removal, freezing, burning, and cutting off with scissors are the commonly used medical methods for removing skin tags. While skin tags are harmless and do not cause any annoying symptoms, many people who have them prefer to remove skin tags for cosmetic reasons.
Home Remedies for Removing Skin Tags
- Fingernail polish
It has found to act well on tags. They are available in all houses and you can easily procure a bottle. Apply it for three days and you can see the difference. This is an ideal home remedy for skin tags - however never use nail polish around or near the eyes or other sensitive areas.
- Tree oil is useful in curing tags
Wash the area with soap and water and then put three drops of this medicine on the tag and massage it into the skin. Within a few days you can see effective changes in the size of the growths.
- Vitamin E extracts
When applied to a bandage and covered on the area affected brings out remarkable changes. Use this home remedy for skin tags and make your skin clear.
- Duct tape
Secure the part using the tape and leave until the part starts to get loose. Repeat the technique to the extent that the tag becomes weak.
Medical Removal of Skin Tags
If removal is desired or warranted, a dermatologist or similarly trained professional may use cauterization, cryosurgery, surgical ligation or excision to remove the acrochorda.
- Ligation: Interrupts the skin tag's blood supply, causing it to wither.
- Cryotherapy: Removes the skin tag by freezing it with a liquid nitrogen probe.
- Cauterization: Burns the skin tag off by using a heat technique known as electrolysis.
- Excision: Numbing medication is first applied to the skin before cuting or shaving the skin tag off.
- 1 - How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes and Dark Circles : Dr. Kay (2009/07/03)
- 2 - Copper Sulfate (Bluestone): Uses and Remedies : Disabled World (2014/09/10)
- 3 - Hangover Causes and Home Remedy Cures : Disabled World (2009/01/16)
- 4 - Effective Natural Home Cures for Cervical Spondylosis : Disabled World (2012/03/30)
- 5 - Home Remedies for Toothache Pain : Kevin Pederson (2009/02/20)
- 6 - How to Treat Dark Circles Under Eyes : Juliet Cohen (2009/07/03)
- 7 - How to Heal a Cold Sore Quickly : Dr Jenny Tylee (2009/03/23)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.