Home Remedies for Toothache Pain
Author: Kevin Pederson
Published: 2009-02-20 - (Updated: 2019-03-30)
Home remedies for a toothache to ease the sharp throbbing shooting or constant pain that keeps you awake at night.
Most toothaches occur at night when you are trying to sleep because of the increased blood pressure towards your head. Try keeping your head elevated to decrease some of the pressure.
If you find your toothache still pains you after trying either Ibuprofen, Aleve, Codeine, Tylenol, Aspirin, or Acetaminophen, then give these home remedies a try to stop toothache pain.
A toothache is a soreness or pain within or around a tooth, signifying irritation, and swelling, reddening and possible infection with a possibility of tooth or gum abscess. Toothache is a very common problem that occurs to anyone without any warning. Sharp, throbbing, shooting or constant pain is the first sign of upcoming toothache. If not treated the tooth will eventually be extracted.
The severity of a toothache can range from chronic, mild to sharp, and excruciating. The pain may worsen or get aggravated by eating and drinking hot and cold foods and beverage. The weather can also worsen the situation.
The main cause is tooth decay that results from diet comprising of excessive consumption of soft drinks, candy, pastries, refined carbohydrates and sugar in all forms. Bacteria in the mouth break down sugar in acids that combine with calcium in the enamel and also cause decay or erosion.
Remedies for Toothache Pain
Clipart illustration of a broken tooth with face and band-aids.
- First try a pressure point remedy by rubbing an ice cube into the V-shaped area where the bones of the thumb and forefinger meet on one hand for 5 to 7 minutes.
- A clove of garlic with a little of rock salt, placed on the affected tooth will relieve the pain. Alternatively you can chew a garlic clove daily in the morning.
- A good home remedy for toothache is to Place 2 - 3 drops of vanilla extract on the tooth that is aching this will provide instant pain relief.
- Apply a dab of "Vicks vapor rub" on the side of the face where the pain is. Place a paper towel on top and lay down in bed. The heat from the vicks absorbs into the skin and brings you toothache relief.
- Cut off a piece of potato and put on your sore tooth for about 15 minutes.
- A hot tea bag pressed to the tooth will provide almost instant relief.
- Halls Cough Drops has a small amount of anesthetic in it. Pop two in your mouth and let them dissolve.
- The juice of wheat grass is an excellent mouthwash for dental decay and cures toothache. It draws out toxins from the gums and checks bacterial growth.
- Asafoetida grounded in lemon juice cures dental ache. Heat the solution, soak a cotton swab and place it in the cavity of the tooth to relieve pain quickly.
- Paste of the bark of bay berry mixed with vinegar applied on the affected area will alleviate the pain and strengthen the gums.
- Clove oil or oil of cloves is a mild anesthetic and applied to the cavity of the decayed tooth provides instant pain relief from the toothache. Oil of oregano on the paining tooth is also nearly as effective.
- Try gargling some Listerine antiseptic.
- Chewing leaves of the guava tree (if you have a backyard guava tree) will provide some relief from tooth pain.
- A pinch of pepper and 1/4 tsp of common salt prevents dental cavities, foul breath, bleeding from the gums, painful gums, and toothaches.
- A pinch of pepper powder mixed with clove oil can be put on the cavities to alleviate the toothache.
- Put an ice cube on the aching tooth or on the nearest cheek for 15-20 minutes at least 3 or 4 times a day.
- Squeezing cotton wool soaked in brandy against the affected tooth helps numb the pain or try taking a swig of whiskey and holding it over the painful tooth.
- If the pain in the mouth is caused by trapped food, take a mouthful of water and rinse it vigorously. A thorough rinse may dislodge the food particles.
- Floss your teeth gently to remove tiny bits of hard food. Be soft on your gums as they are likely to be sore.
- Gargle a glassful of water mixed with 1 tsp of salt after each meal and at bedtime.
- Chewing raw onion for approx 3 minutes is sufficient to kill all the germs in the mouth and ensure protection from host of tooth disorders.
- Lime prevents decay, loosening of the teeth, dental cavities, toothache and bleeding of the gums.
Proper cleaning of the teeth is essential to prevent tooth decay and consequent toothaches. Brushing in circular motion ensures that all the dental surfaces are cleaned. For gentle stimulation to improve blood circulation in the gums, brush the gums lightly. Dental decay, destruction of the bone around the teeth and infection of the gums can be prevented with an appropriate diet. Restrict sugar intake, ensure that your diet includes plenty of raw veggies, whole wheat bread and whole foods.
Tooth Abscess Pain and Causes - An abscess in the tooth refers to an infection that was caused by a pocket of pus residing in the tissue around the tooth.
Wisdom Teeth: Information, Extraction & Dry Socket - Information on wisdom teeth including extraction surgery impacted wisdom teeth and dry socket pain.
- 1 - How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes and Dark Circles : Dr. Kay (2009/07/03)
- 2 - Copper Sulfate (Bluestone): Uses and Remedies : Disabled World (2014/09/10)
- 3 - Hangover Causes and Home Remedy Cures : Disabled World (2009/01/16)
- 4 - Effective Natural Home Cures for Cervical Spondylosis : Disabled World (2012/03/30)
- 5 - Home Remedies for Toothache Pain : Kevin Pederson (2009/02/20)
- 6 - How to Treat Dark Circles Under Eyes : Juliet Cohen (2009/07/03)
- 7 - How to Heal a Cold Sore Quickly : Dr Jenny Tylee (2009/03/23)