Study Shows Bio-k+cl1285 Can Prevent Antibiotic-associated Diarrhea
Author: Bio-K + International inc.
Published: 2010-08-08 : (Rev. 2016-06-13)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Canadian Independent Medical Study Shows Bio-k+cl1285 Can Prevent Antibiotic-associated Diarrhea.
Canadian Independent Medical Study Shows Bio-k+cl1285® Can Prevent Antibiotic-associated Diarrhea.
The Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology November issue features a Canadian medical study1 showing that a daily intake of Bio-K+ CL1285 is a safe and effective means of preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) in hospitalized patients, a growing problem that has become an important public health concern. The probiotic used in the study is available in Canada and the US, under the brand name Bio-K+CL1285®.2
The use of probiotics is gaining interest in the scientific community as a potential measure to prevent AAD. In the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial conducted from September 2003 to May 2004 at Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital in Montreal, Quebec, hospitalized patients were randomly assigned to receive either the Bio-K+ CL1285 formula or a placebo on a daily basis for the entire duration of antibiotic treatment. Among 89 randomized patients, AAD occurred in 7 of 44 patients (15.9%) in the Bio-K+Cl1285 group and in 16 of 45 patients (35.6%) in the placebo group (p=0,05).
"Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea is a major concern for all patients receiving antibiotics, and can lead to serious complications and extend the hospitalization time," says Dr Pavel Hamet M.D., Ph.D., CSPQ, FRCP(C), specialist at Hotel-Dieu Hospital in Montreal, and chairman of the scientific advisory committee. "This unique Canadian study is unequivocal scientific proof of the beneficial health effects of Bio- K+CL1285® formula in preventing AAD. While this Study focused on hospitalized patients, it is fair to conclude that Bio-K+ would be equally effective in reducing the incidence of AAD amongst non-hospitalized patients, as well", asserted Dr Hamet.
Diarrhea is one of the most frequent side effects of antibiotic use.
In Canada approximately 21 million antibiotics prescriptions are written each year, and in the US this number is over 161 millions annually3. Most antibiotic treatments are prescribed in outpatient clinics.
AAD occurs when antibiotics disrupt the natural balance of "good" and "bad" bacteria in the intestinal tract, causing harmful bacteria to proliferate far beyond their normal numbers. Often, the result is frequent watery bowel movements. It can affect up to 35%4 of patients receiving antibiotic treatments.
1 Effect of fermented milk combining Lactobacillus acidophilus CL1285 and Lactobacillus casei in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, CANJ Gastroenterology, Vol 21, No 11, November 2007, 732:736.
2 Product and placebo were provided by Bio-K+ International Inc, which also provided a research grant to cover the pharmacy administration fees.
3 Canadian Bacterial Surveillance Network, February 2006, and CMA Foundation, 2006.
Most often, antibiotic-associated diarrhea is fairly mild and clears up shortly after the patient stops taking the antibiotic. But sometimes the patient may develop colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine, often in a particularly serious form called "pseudomembranous colitis". Any form of colitis can cause abdominal pain, fever and bloody diarrhea. Pseudomembranous colitis can be life-threatening. There is increasing awareness that good bacteria must be present in high numbers in the intestine to ensure proper function of the digestive system and maintain the delicate balance of good digestive health.
Bio-K+CL1285® contains a unique, powerful, and effective patented formula of bacterial strains (Lb. Acidophilus, and Lb. Casei). It is available in the form of 98g bottles of either fresh fermented milk or soy, containing a minimum of 50 billion fresh, live and active bacteria at consumption, and as enteric-coated capsules. Bio-K+CL1285® is currently used in 35 Canadian hospitals and health centers, and is sold in the health specialized sections of grocery stores, pharmacies and health stores across Canada and US. About Bio-K+ International inc.
Founded in 1994, Bio-K+ International Inc. is a family-owned Canadian biotech company with its head offices located in Laval's scientific and high-tech park. With more than 70 employees, Bio-K+ International inc. is dedicated to the manufacture, distribution and sale of Bio-K+CL1285® products. For more information, please visit the web site www.biokplus.com
- 1 - Benefits of Water Kefir and How to Make it at Home : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/07/22)
- 2 - TriActive Biotics: Revolutionary New Probiotic for Digestive Health : Essential Source, Inc. (2014/09/02)
- 3 - Probiotic Beer Boosts Immunity and Improves Gut Health : National University of Singapore (2017/06/28)
- 4 - Probiotics Improve Memory in People with Alzheimers Disease : Alzheimer's Research UK (2016/11/11)
- 5 - Study Shows Bio-k+cl1285 Can Prevent Antibiotic-associated Diarrhea : Bio-K + International inc. (2010/08/08)
- 6 - Mothers Probiotic Use Limits Eczema in their Babies : Norwegian University of Science and Technology (2010/07/20)
- 7 - Lactic Bacteria: Information on Digestive Health : Disabled World (2014/09/15)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.