Bio-K+ CL1285 Probiotic Fights Listeria Monocytogenes Bacteria
Author: Bio-K + International inc.
Information and effectiveness of Probiotic Bio-K+ CL1285® in inhibiting the growth of pathogenic bacteria including Listeria monocytogenes.
Main DigestInformation and effectiveness of Probiotic Bio-K+ CL1285® in inhibiting the growth of pathogenic bacteria including Listeria monocytogenes.
In the wake of the food crisis currently hitting Canada, biotechnology company Bio-K+ International Inc. believes that it is important to go public with the results of an in vitro study1 conducted in 2005 by researchers at the INRS- Institut Armand- Frappier. The study, which was published in 2007 in Letters in Applied Microbiology, a peer review journal, demonstrates the effectiveness of Bio-K+ CL1285® in inhibiting the growth of certain pathogenic bacteria, including Listeria monocytogenes.
The in vitro experiment conducted by Dr. Mathieu Millette, under the direction of Dr. Monique Lacroix, Professor and Researcher at the INRS-Institut Armand-Frappier, demonstrated that the Bio-K+ CL1285® formula reduced the development of several pathogenic bacteria, including Listeria monocytogenes, in a proportion of 78.4% after a 12-hour incubation. It should be noted that the experiment was conducted with the same formula as the fresh product available in stores and in the same concentration, which is 50 billion friendly bacteria.
According to Mr. Claude Chevalier, the company's President and CEO : "it goes without saying that this study constitutes a significant indicator of Bio-K+CL1285®'s ability to act on pathogenic bacteria. Although further study is required to understand the full extent of the product's effectiveness in the human body, we think it is crucial that Canadians be aware right now of the results obtained in vitro, because they demonstrate that the product reduces the growth of the pathogenic bacterium, Listeria monocytogenes."
This in vitro research is even more relevant in view of the randomized double-blind study conducted at the Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital in 2004 that was recently published in the Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology.2 This study concluded that Bio-K+ CL1285 ® was effective in preventing the antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) in patients in a hospital setting. Other randomized double-blind studies are currently underway to treat patients suffering from traveler's diarrhea, which is often associated to food poisoning, and from AAD in several hospitals as well as from Clostridium difficile.
About Bio-K+ International Inc. - Founded in 1994, Bio-K+ International Inc. is a Quebec-based family biotechnology business that specializes in the production, marketing and distribution of 100% probiotic products. The company, which is headquartered in Laval's Science and High Technology Park, has more than 80 employees in Canada and the United States, and distributes its products in natural food.
1 Millette, M., F.M. Luquet, M. Lacroix. 2007. In vitro growth control of selected pathogens by Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus casei-fermented milk, Letters in Applied Microbiology, Vol. 44. P. 314-319. Available at www.biokplus.ca
2 Beausoleil, M., N. Fortier, S. Guenette, A. L'Ecuyer, M. Savoie, M. Franco, J. Lachaane, K. Weiss. 2007. Effect of a fermented milk combining Lactobacillus acidophilus CL1285 and Lactobacillus casei in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea : A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, Vol. 21. P. 732-736. Available at www.biokplus.ca stores, pharmacies and supermarkets across North America.
For more information, please visit www.biokplus.com
- 1 - Benefits of Water Kefir and How to Make it at Home : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/07/22)
- 2 - TriActive Biotics: Revolutionary New Probiotic for Digestive Health : Essential Source, Inc. (2014/09/02)
- 3 - Probiotic Beer Boosts Immunity and Improves Gut Health : National University of Singapore (2017/06/28)
- 4 - Probiotics Improve Memory in People with Alzheimers Disease : Alzheimer's Research UK (2016/11/11)
- 5 - Study Shows Bio-k+cl1285 Can Prevent Antibiotic-associated Diarrhea : Bio-K + International inc. (2010/08/08)
- 6 - Mothers Probiotic Use Limits Eczema in their Babies : Norwegian University of Science and Technology (2010/07/20)
- 7 - Lactic Bacteria: Information on Digestive Health : Disabled World (2014/09/15)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.