Reiki: Holistic Therapy Treatment Information
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Tuesday, 2nd October 2018
Synopsis and Key Points:
Information on Reiki a holistic therapy alternative medicine from Japan that teaches relaxation and feelings of peace security and wellbeing.
What is Reiki?
Reiki (pronounced Ray-key) is described by adherents as a holistic therapy which brings about healing on physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels. Reiki was introduced to the Western world in the mid-1970s. Since then its use has spread dramatically worldwide.
Reiki is a spiritual practice, now considered to be a form of pseudoscience, that was developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui, and which has since been adapted within varying traditions. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing or hands-on-healing as a form of alternative medicine and is sometimes classified as oriental medicine by some professional medical bodies.
Reiki is a spiritual practice, spiritual practices, like meditation, yoga and vegetarianism, have often been thought to characterize Eastern religion more than Western, developed in 1922 by Mikao Usui. After three weeks of fasting and meditating on Mount Kurama, in Japan, Usui claimed to receive the ability of "healing without energy depletion".
After Usui's death, Chujiro Hayashi a former student of Usui left the Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai and formed his own association. Hayashi simplified the Reiki teachings, stressing physical healing and using a more codified and simpler set of Reiki techniques.
The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words;
- Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power"
- Ki which is "life force energy"
So Reiki is actually "spiritually guided life force energy." Since the word Reiki means Universal Life Force Energy, it (strictly speaking) refers to the energy and not the specific techniques taught by Reiki Masters.
Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and wellbeing.
Reiki energy is regarded as life energy at its most effective-with the maximum vibration.
It is considered to have an almost divine quality and as such includes everything, in a world where problems and disorders are deemed to be due to the feeling of detachment from the world.
A portion of the practice, tenohira or palm healing, is used as a form of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Tenohira is a technique whereby practitioners believe they are moving "healing energy" (a form of ki) through the palms. Usui said that by mystical revelation he had gained the knowledge and spiritual power to apply and attune others to what is called Reiki.
While Reiki is spiritual in nature, it is not a religion.
It has no dogma, and there is nothing you must believe in order to learn and use Reiki. In fact, Reiki is not dependent on belief at all and will work whether you believe in it or not.
Reiki teachings claim that there is an inexhaustible, universal "life force" spiritual energy, that can be used to induce a healing effect. Believers say that anyone can gain access to this energy by means of an attunement process carried out by a Reiki Master. Claims for such energy have no known theoretical or biophysical basis. The belief is that the energy will flow through the practitioner's hands whenever the hands are placed on, or held near a potential recipient, who can be clothed. A second level of training, including another initiation, is said to equip the practitioner to perform Reiki treatments from a distance.
There is no accreditation body for Reiki, nor any regulation of the practice.
Reiki courses can even be taken over the Internet, although traditionalists state that attunement must be done in person in order to take effect, as the Reiki Master/Teacher doing the attunement must be able to actually touch the energy field of the person being attuned.
There is no belief system attached to Reiki so anyone can receive or learn to give a Reiki treatment, the only prerequisite is the desire to be healed.
Concerns about safety in Reiki are similar to those of other alternative medicines. Doctors of medicine and allied health care workers believe that patients might avoid clinically proven treatments for serious conditions in favor of unproven alternative medicines.
The strongest research conducted as of 2008 has failed to demonstrate that Reiki is an effective treatment for any condition.
It is Said Some Reiki Healing Health Benefits Include:
- Can help with acute (injuries) and chronic problems (asthma, eczema, headaches, etc.) and aides the breaking of addictions,
- Helps relieve pain,
- Creates deep relaxation and aids the body to release stress and tension,
- Assists the body in cleaning itself from toxins,
- Reduces some of the side effects of drugs and helps the body to recover from drug therapy after surgery and chemotherapy,
- Supports the immune system,
- It accelerates the body's self-healing abilities,
- Aids better sleep,
- Raises the vibrational frequency of the body,
- Helps spiritual growth and emotional clearing
- Reduces blood pressure,
- Removes energy blockages, adjusts the energy flow of the endocrine system bringing the body into balance and harmony,
- Increases vitality and postpones the aging process,
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.