Mothers Wins Compensation After MMR Injection Left Son Disabled
Author: Paul Rooney Solicitors
Published: 2010-09-22 : (Rev. 2015-03-31)
Synopsis and Key Points:
A Warrington mother has won a legal battle for compensation after her son was left severely disabled by the MMR vaccine.
A Warrington mother has won a 13-year battle for compensation after her son was left severely disabled by the MMR vaccine.
Jackie Fletcher received a payout of £90,000 from the Government for her son Robert, who suffered severe brain damage after having the controversial jab when he was 13 months old.
Robert, now 18, frequently has epileptic fits, is unable to talk, stand unaided or feed himself, and as such, he requires round-the-clock care from Jackie and his father John.
Jackie has always believed that the MMR jab triggered her son's illness; Robert suffered a fit just ten days after receiving the vaccine.
Having had her original application for compensation under the Vaccine Damage Payment Scheme rejected in 1997, Jackie appealed the decision, and a medical assessment panel of two doctors and a barrister has now concluded that the vaccine was to blame for Robert's condition.
Jackie, who now runs a support group for families seeking compensation claims for their vaccine-damaged children, said the money would go towards making adaptations to the family home for Robert's benefit.
A spokesman for the Department of Health said: "The safety of MMR has been endorsed through numerous studies in many countries. It has been used extensively and safely around the world for over 30 years.
"The World Health Organization recognizes MMR as being a 'highly effective vaccine which has an outstanding safety record'. Parents and carers should continue to get their children immunized when called to do so."
For more information visit the personal injury compensation claims specialists www.paulrooney.co.uk/
At Paul Rooney Solicitors in Liverpool, we specialize in personal injury and accident compensation claims. We have been practicing law for over 30 years and are proud to offer our clients professional personal injury solicitors complete with exceptional standards of service.
- 1 - Vaccine for Urinary Tract Infections : University of Michigan Health System (2010/11/12)
- 2 - Vaccinating Pre-schoolers with Asthma Against the Flu : University of Montreal (2018/06/29)
- 3 - Global Resurgence of Deadly Pertussis Bacteria : Wolters Kluwer Health (2014/06/14)
- 4 - CVS Health Offering Hepatitis A Vaccine to Broward County Residents : CVS Health (2017/11/03)
- 5 - Breakthrough in Cancer Vaccine Research : University of Cambridge (2010/11/05)
- 6 - Missouri Seniors Should Get Flu and Pneumonia Vaccines : Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Missouri (2011/01/18)
- 7 - Free Flu Shots for North Carolina's Youth : Urgent Cares of America (2011/01/10)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.