Family favors Cannabis Oil Over Chemotherapy for Child with Brain Tumor
Author: Patrick Allen : Contact: The Jonah Fund - Ph. +1 3037201796
The Green Solution has launched a trial fundraising campaign in hopes of supporting a surge of pediatric cancer patients seeking alternative therapy in Colorado.
Main DigestCalled The Jonah Fund, the campaign is named for 2-year-old Jonah Allen of Longmont, Colo., who was diagnosed in 2013 with a glioma - an inoperable tumor on the left side of his brain. The Green Solution is subsidizing a portion of the cost of cannabis oil therapy for Jonah. The cannabis oil is made up of THC and CBD. CBD is scientifically known as Cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive concentrate extracted from the Cannabis sativa plant. The oil is administered orally. THC is the more commonly known compound in cannabis that is known for producing a "high" and when coupled with CBD it is considered to have greater cancer fighting properties.
Jonah's campaign comes on the heels of the December 2013 annual report released by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) Medical Marijuana Registry, which recorded an 81 percent increase in the number of children under age 18 seeking hemp therapy in the state over the past year. According to CDPHE archive reports, the number of cancer patients using medical marijuana in the state has more than tripled in just four years, increasing from 908 patients in 2009 to 3,079 patients in 2013.
However, surging demand, along with the cost of therapy, has limited the availability of treatment for many families. Although medical marijuana was legalized in Colorado in 2000, helping patients avoid legal qualms, the cost of therapy can be prohibitive.
"We have thousands of dollars still in debt to hospitals, we can't afford the oil without help," said Patrick Allen, Jonah's father. The Allen family, who had relocated to Massachusetts in 2013, returned to Colorado to seek cannabis oil treatment upon learning their son had a brain tumor.
Prices for a one-month supply of cannabis oil can run between $1,000 and $2,000 according to Realm of Caring, a Colorado non-profit organization specializing in treatment of pediatric ailments with cannabis oil.
In addition to receiving cannabis oil, Jonah is also seeing traditional oncologist. Although his family has health insurance, the cost of CT scans and office visits has been mounting since Jonah's birth. Already diagnosed before birth with Pediatric Hydrocephalus, a buildup of fluid around the brain that can cause fatal swelling, Jonah endured three surgeries before the tumor was discovered.
Compelled by Jonah's story, The four Speidell brothers who own The Green Solution, decided to host a fundraiser to ease the cost of his care. The Speidells hope that Jonah's story will continue the groundswell of support for CBD/THC research and assistance to families seeking treatment with medical marijuana.
"We are happy to help in any way we can," said one of the Speidell brothers.
Proceeds raised up to $30,000 will immediately benefit Jonah, with any additional funding directed toward The Jonah Fund's mission to financially assist other families using CBD/THC therapy.
The Green Solution is a family-owned dispensary with four locations in Colorado. Committed to safe, friendly access with an innovative touch, the company extensively tests its products for potency and purity.
The Realm of Caring in Colorado Springs, which developed the now famous CBD strain Charlotte's Web, works to treat patients, gather scientific data, promote clinical studies, and educate the public about cannabis therapy.
Supporters can donate securely online to The Jonah Fund at YouCaring.com/TheJonahFund or by visiting any of four The Green Solution locations. The online campaign ends in just a few days on February 28. More information about Jonah and his family can be found at PrayForJonah.com
- 1 - U.S. Medical Cannabis Protections Extended to 46 States : Ultra Health (2018/03/27)
- 2 - Medical Marijuana for Pain Treatment in Elderly Patients : Disabled World (2016/09/21)
- 3 - Medical Cannabis Significantly Safer than Opioids for Seniors with Chronic Pain : American Associates, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (2018/02/13)
- 4 - Medical Marijuana for Arthritis Pain : Thomas C. Weiss (2012/11/08)
- 5 - Quebec Patients Have Legal Access to Medical Marihuana : MEDME SERIVCES LTD. (2010/07/14)
- 6 - Veterans with PTSD - Medical Marijuana Treatment Options : Thomas C. Weiss (2014/02/01)
- 7 - Medical Marijuana Rated Much More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Symptoms Than Drugs : The National Pain Foundation (2014/04/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.