DePuy ASR Hip Replacement Recall: 12,000 Patients Will Need Revision Surgery
- Publish Date: 2010/11/03
- Author: Advice Company
Outline: The DePuy ASR recall affects over 90,000 hip implant patients of which approximately 12000 will have to undergo additional hip replacement surgeries.
Main DigestThe DePuy ASR recall affects over 90,000 hip implant patients - of which approximately 12,000 will have to undergo additional hip replacement surgeries.
The August 2010 DePuy ASR recall affects over 90,000 hip implant patients - of which approximately 12,000 will likely have to undergo additional, painful and expensive hip replacement surgeries - not to mention medical monitoring for heavy metal toxicity issues due to metal debris entering the blood stream.
DePuy ASR Hip Recall Announced After 13% Failure Rate Released
The August 2010 DePuy ASR recall of the ASR XL Acetabular System and the ASR Hip Resurfacing System will affect over 90,000 hip implant patients around the world. DePuy only recalled these metal-on-metal devices after the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) received hundreds of complaints from consumers alleging that the devices were defective.
After further investigation, it was revealed that nearly 13% of those patients - about 12,000 people - would likely have to undergo additional hip replacement surgeries to replace the very same hip implant they assumed would last for years and years. While that's bad enough, issues of heavy metal toxicity in all 90,000+ DePuy hip implant patients could result in serious injuries for many down the road.
Metal-On-Metal Debris May Cause Heavy Metal Toxicity
DePuy hip implant lawyers say that all patients who were implanted with a DePuy ASR hip replacement system since 2003 may be susceptible to heavy metal toxicity due to chromium and cobalt parts rubbing together and creating metal debris, or metal ions, that can enter a patient's blood stream and cause serious injuries. Doctors say that even if an injury hasn't yet manifested, patients should be continually and consistently monitored in the future - and that DePuy Orthopedics, a Johnson & Johnson Company, should pay for that.
Contact a DePuy hip recall lawyer to find out how to receive the compensation you deserve for the manufacturers' failure to warn you about its products defects and for waiting too long to recall those products.
Online since 1999, FreeAdvice.com provides consumers and small businesses with balanced and comprehensive legal information covering over 125 legal topics. These useful and professionally prepared answers to thousands of legal questions are written, reviewed, and updated by lawyers from leading law firms across the country. For further information, please contact us at 240-462-5858. Website: www.freeadvice.com
- 1 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2018/04/09
- 2 - Risks of Eating Raw Sprouts | Health Canada | 2010/08/12
- 3 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2017/11/14
- 4 - Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution | American Chemical Society | 2009/08/19
- 5 - Lead and Cadmium Hazard in Children's Jewellery Warning | Health Canada | 2010/02/07
- 6 - FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2017/08/14
- 7 - FDA Warning: Elevated Levels of Belladonna in Certain Homeopathic Teething Products | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2017/01/30
- 8 - Mixing Grapefruit and Medication Can Have Serious Adverse Effects | Canadian Medical Association Journal | 2012/11/26
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media