Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution
Author: American Chemical Society
Published: 2009-08-19 : (Rev. 2017-11-06)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Candles made from paraffin wax source of indoor air pollution including known human carcinogens.
Burning candles made from paraffin wax, the most common kind used to infuse rooms with romantic ambiance, warmth, light, and fragrance, is an unrecognized source of exposure to indoor air pollution, including the known human carcinogens.
Romantic, candle-lit dinners: An unrecognized source of indoor air pollution
Burning candles made from paraffin wax, the most common kind used to infuse rooms with romantic ambiance, warmth, light, and fragrance, is an unrecognized source of exposure to indoor air pollution, including the known human carcinogens, scientists reported here today.
Levels can build up in closed rooms, and be reduced by ventilation, they indicated in a study presented at the 238th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
In the study, R. Massoudi Ph.D., and Amid Hamidi , Ph.D., said that that candles made from bee's wax or soy, although more expensive, apparently are healthier. They do not release potentially harmful amounts of indoor air pollutants while retaining all of the warmth, ambiance and fragrance of paraffin candles (which are made from petroleum).
"An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you," Hamidi said.
"But lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an un-ventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems."
Besides the more serious risks, he also suggested that some people who believe they have an indoor allergy or respiratory irritation may in fact actually be reacting to air pollutants from burning candles.
- 1 - FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements : U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2017/08/14)
- 2 - Fungal Infections Associated with Contaminated Steroid Injections : Elsevier Health Sciences (2013/06/26)
- 3 - Cyclosporiasis (Cyclospora Infection): Symptoms - Prevention - Treatments : Thomas C. Weiss (2013/09/20)
- 4 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure : U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (2018/04/09)
- 5 - Risks of Eating Raw Sprouts : Health Canada (2010/08/12)
- 6 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks : U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (2017/11/14)
- 7 - Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution : American Chemical Society (2009/08/19)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.