Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution
Published : 2009-08-19 - Updated : 2017-11-06
Author : American Chemical Society
Synopsis* : Candles made from paraffin wax source of indoor air pollution including known human carcinogens.
Burning candles made from paraffin wax, the most common kind used to infuse rooms with romantic ambiance, warmth, light, and fragrance, is an unrecognized source of exposure to indoor air pollution, including the known human carcinogens.
Romantic, candle-lit dinners: An unrecognized source of indoor air pollution
Burning candles made from paraffin wax, the most common kind used to infuse rooms with romantic ambiance, warmth, light, and fragrance, is an unrecognized source of exposure to indoor air pollution, including the known human carcinogens, scientists reported here today.
Levels can build up in closed rooms, and be reduced by ventilation, they indicated in a study presented at the 238th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
In the study, R. Massoudi Ph.D., and Amid Hamidi , Ph.D., said that that candles made from bee's wax or soy, although more expensive, apparently are healthier. They do not release potentially harmful amounts of indoor air pollutants while retaining all of the warmth, ambiance and fragrance of paraffin candles (which are made from petroleum).
"An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you," Hamidi said.
"But lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an un-ventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems."
Besides the more serious risks, he also suggested that some people who believe they have an indoor allergy or respiratory irritation may in fact actually be reacting to air pollutants from burning candles.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Recalls - Advisories Documents
- 1 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure : U.S. FDA restricts sale and distribution of Essure to protect women and to require that patients receive risk information.
- 2 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks : United States FDA issues safety communication about illegal use of injectable silicone for body contouring and associated health risks.
- 3 - FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements : FDA advises not to use any liquid drug or dietary supplement products manufactured by PharmaTech LLC of Davie, Florida, and labeled by Rugby Laboratories, Major Pharmaceuticals and Leader Brands, due to potential contamination.
- 4 - FDA Warning: Elevated Levels of Belladonna in Certain Homeopathic Teething Products : FDA warns homeopathic teething tablets containing belladonna pose unnecessary risk to infants and children and urges consumers not to use these products.
- 5 - Laundry Detergent Pods Deadly Risk for Children : Laundry detergent pods are small, colorful, and may look like candy or juice to a young child.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: American Chemical Society. Electronic Publication Date: 2009-08-19 - Revised: 2017-11-06. Title: Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/recalls/candles-carcinogens.php>Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution</a>. Retrieved 2021-05-09, from https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/recalls/candles-carcinogens.php - Reference: DW#301-2116.