Recipients of Hip Implants Such as DePuy Pinnacle Strongly Encouraged to Receive MRI
Published : 2014-03-14
Author : US Drug Watchdog - Contact: usdrugwatchdog.com
Synopsis* : US drug watchdog strongly encourages recipients of all-metal hip implants such as DePuy Pinnacle to immediately receive MRI for indications of failure.
Main DigestThe US Drug Watchdog is urging anyone who has received a DePuy Pinnacle all metal hip implant to contact their toll-free number 866-714-6466 as soon as possible. As the group would like to explain recipients of this type of hip implant, which have been discontinued due to high failure rates, may be able to find out if they will need a revision surgery based on MRI results. USDrugWatchdog.Com
The US Drug Watchdog says, "A study published in the Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery found that Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) can help identify whether a all metal hip implant will need to be replaced based on the amount of tissue damage.
MRIs are used to get a closer, in-depth look of tissue in the body. MRIs are painless and provide a much more detailed look at soft body tissue.
DePuy Hip X-ray - Source: US DRUG WATCHDOG
The inflammation on the joint linings caused by metal-on-metal hip implants can be seen in MRIs, which can tell doctors whether or not a hip implant is going to fail."
For more information recipients of a DePuy Pinnacle metal on metal hip implant are encouraged to contact the US Drug Watchdog anytime at 866-714-6466. USDrugWatchdog.Com
Metal-on-metal hip implants like the DePuy Pinnacle implant can cause small particles of cobalt and chromium, types of metal, to be released in the body. These metal particles cause inflammation in the tissue and can lead to hip implant failure.
In the study referenced in Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, researchers were able to identify this inflammation in 68% of patients who experienced no symptoms at all and 75% in patients who reported pain.
The study related to all metal hip implants reported in Science Daily in May of 2013 indicated a MRI scan is important for those who have a all metal hip implant, even if they are not experiencing pain or other problematic symptoms. The MRI detects tissue damage, which frequently occurs before symptoms present themselves.
The US Drug Watchdog says, "Most patients wait until pain is severe or until symptoms are uncomfortable to visit their doctors. They end up needing a revision and may have a more complicated revision as a result of the tissue damage that has already occurred."
A spokesperson from the US Drug Watchdog says,
"It's very important for anyone who has received a DePuy Pinnacle metal on metal hip implant to contact us immediately at 866-714-6466 for more information about getting a MRI examination. Waiting until it's too late can mean a more painful hip revision surgery if one is needed, and it could delay or even eliminate the amount of compensation hip implant patients may be entitled to." USDrugWatchdog.com
DePuy Pinnacle U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas MDL Number 2244
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Recalls - Advisories Documents
- 1: Laundry Detergent Pods Deadly Risk for Children : Laundry detergent pods are small, colorful, and may look like candy or juice to a young child.
- 2: FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements : FDA advises not to use any liquid drug or dietary supplement products manufactured by PharmaTech LLC of Davie, Florida, and labeled by Rugby Laboratories, Major Pharmaceuticals and Leader Brands, due to potential contamination.
- 3: Fungal Infections Associated with Contaminated Steroid Injections : CDC investigators describe pathologic findings from reports of fungal infection in patients given contaminated epidural, para-spinal or intra-articular steroid injections.
- 4: Cyclosporiasis (Cyclospora Infection): Symptoms - Prevention - Treatments : Information regarding cyclospora a newly recognized infectious organism that infects the small intestine.
- 5: FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure : U.S. FDA restricts sale and distribution of Essure to protect women and to require that patients receive risk information.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: US Drug Watchdog. Electronic Publication Date: 2014-03-14. Title: Recipients of Hip Implants Such as DePuy Pinnacle Strongly Encouraged to Receive MRI, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/recalls/depuy-hip.php>Recipients of Hip Implants Such as DePuy Pinnacle Strongly Encouraged to Receive MRI</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-18, from https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/recalls/depuy-hip.php - Reference: DW#301-10151.