More Than 500 Food and Product Recalls and Advisories in Canada for 2010
- Publish Date: 2010/12/29
- Author: Health and Safety Watch Inc.
Outline: Health and Safety Watch tracked more than 500 advisories and recalls issued for food and products in Canada.
Main DigestThis year Health and Safety Watch tracked more than 500 advisories and recalls issued for food and products in Canada.
The events included everything from the recent Quaker Canada cereal bar recall due to the possible presence of peanuts, to big ticket items such as GE dishwashers recalled due to possible fire hazards.
"Some of the recalls, especially those related to food, can have a tremendous health impact," said Dr. Jeff Aramini, CEO of Health and Safety Watch. "For those allergic to peanuts, the Quaker product could have caused a life threatening reaction."
Thankfully most of the time there are no injuries to report, though in the case of the dishwasher recall several minor fires were reported.
"It is important to understand that recalls are usually preventative in nature. They are issued because a product may be harmful not because it definitely is," said Aramini. "Regardless, Canadians need to keep informed. Healthandsafetywatch.com is the only web site that tracks recalls and health advisories in Canada."
2010 recalls and advisories:
- 57 Clothing and Accessories
- 44 Toys and Related Products
- 16 Cosmetics and Personal Care Products
- 92 Household Products
- 57 Infant/Child Products NOT Including Toys, including 11 for children's pajamas
- 13 Label Related, products that do not meet labeling requirements
- 13 Outdoor Products, lawn-mowers, barbecues, etc.
- 33 Sports and Recreation Products
- 10 Tools and Hardware
- 15 Other
- 38 Allergy related, allergens like milk, eggs, peanuts possibly in product
- 100 Biologic related, possible E coli, Salmonella, Listeria, etc. contamination
- 6 Chemical or Physical, possible melamine, glass shards, etc. in product
- 11 Other
- 70 Drugs, human use
- 3 Medical Devices, blood glucose meters, wheel chairs, etc.
- 1 Disinfectants
- 1 Veterinary Drugs
- 1 Other
About Health and Safety Watch Inc.
Health and Safety Watch Inc. is a science and technology-based organization dedicated to helping Canadians get the most up-to-date and accurate information on all types of health and safety recalls, warnings, and advisories.
- 1 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2018/04/09
- 2 - Risks of Eating Raw Sprouts | Health Canada | 2010/08/12
- 3 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks | U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) | 2017/11/14
- 4 - Paraffin Candles Source of Carcinogens and Pollution | American Chemical Society | 2009/08/19
- 5 - Lead and Cadmium Hazard in Children's Jewellery Warning | Health Canada | 2010/02/07
- 6 - FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2017/08/14
- 7 - FDA Warning: Elevated Levels of Belladonna in Certain Homeopathic Teething Products | U.S. Food and Drug Administration | 2017/01/30
- 8 - Mixing Grapefruit and Medication Can Have Serious Adverse Effects | Canadian Medical Association Journal | 2012/11/26