Health Dangers of Small Powerful Magnets
Published : 2013-05-24 - Updated : 2021-04-22
Author : Health Canada - Contact: canada.ca/en/health-canada.html
Synopsis* : Recall of novelty magnet sets marketed to adults that contain small powerful magnets which can be easily swallowed or inhaled by children. Rare earth element magnets are many times more powerful than traditional magnets and pose unique dangers. In Canada, the United States and other countries, there have been a number of cases of children requiring emergency surgical treatment to remove swallowed magnets from their intestines.
Harper Government Takes Action to have Dangerous Small, Powerful Magnets Removed from the Marketplace.
Health Canada has published a recall related to a number of novelty magnet sets marketed to adults that contain small, powerful magnets which can be easily swallowed or inhaled by children. The department also issued an Advisory to warn Canadians about the dangers of these and other magnets.
"Canadians expect that products they find on store shelves will be safe," said the Honorable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of Health. "It's clear that some products containing small, powerful magnets pose a danger to children so we are taking action to have them removed from the marketplace."
In Canada, the United States and other countries, there have been a number of cases of children requiring emergency surgical treatment to remove swallowed magnets from their intestines. When more than one powerful magnet is swallowed in a short period of time, the magnets can attract one another while moving through the intestines. This can cause the intestines to twist, creating blockages or tearing of the intestinal walls which can be very serious and life-threatening. For survivors, there can be serious lifelong health problems.
Health Canada is particularly concerned about novelty magnet sets containing more than one small, powerful magnet, regardless of the intended age of the user. These sets are usually intended for use as a toy or manipulative for general entertainment, such as puzzle working, sculpture building, mental stimulation or stress relief. These sets generally consist of a number of rare earth element magnetic pieces in spherical, cube and/or cuboid shapes. Rare earth element magnets are many times more powerful than traditional magnets and pose unique dangers.
Departmental officials have gathered information on novelty magnet sets from a range of sources, including hospital data, incident reports and scientific literature. This information supported a risk assessment that was completed recently, and informed the Department's actions on these products.
Health Canada will continue to take action to have dangerous products removed from the marketplace. The Department continues to remind Canadians to keep products with small, powerful magnets out of the reach of children of any age and to follow these safety tips:
- Keep novelty magnets sets out of the reach of children.
- Do not allow children to play with small toys or other small items that contain powerful magnets.
- Check your children's toys for wear and tear. Throw away any toys with magnets that have come loose.
- Read and follow the age recommendations, warnings, safety messages and assembly instructions for products.
- Teach children of all ages that magnets and items containing magnets should never be placed in their mouth or nose.
- Consumers should immediately stop using any novelty magnet sets and contact their municipality for instructions on how to dispose of or recycle the products.
- Seek immediate medical attention for any child who has swallowed (or is suspected of having swallowed) one or more magnets. You should also report any injuries or safety concerns.
For more information on the danger of swallowing magnets, please see Health Canada's Facts for Hazards of Ingesting Small Magnets
Health Dangers of Small Powerful Magnets | Health Canada (canada.ca/en/health-canada.html). Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related Recalls - Advisories Documents
- 1 - FDA Restricts Sale and Distribution of Essure : U.S. FDA restricts sale and distribution of Essure to protect women and to require that patients receive risk information.
- 2 - FDA Warns About Illegal Use of Injectable Silicone for Body Contouring and Associated Health Risks : United States FDA issues safety communication about illegal use of injectable silicone for body contouring and associated health risks.
- 3 - FDA Warning: Potential Contamination in Multiple Brands Of Drugs, Dietary Supplements : FDA advises not to use any liquid drug or dietary supplement products manufactured by PharmaTech LLC of Davie, Florida, and labeled by Rugby Laboratories, Major Pharmaceuticals and Leader Brands, due to potential contamination.
- 4 - FDA Warning: Elevated Levels of Belladonna in Certain Homeopathic Teething Products : FDA warns homeopathic teething tablets containing belladonna pose unnecessary risk to infants and children and urges consumers not to use these products.
- 5 - Laundry Detergent Pods Deadly Risk for Children : Laundry detergent pods are small, colorful, and may look like candy or juice to a young child.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Health Canada. Electronic Publication Date: 2013-05-24 - Revised: 2021-04-22. Title: Health Dangers of Small Powerful Magnets, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/recalls/magnets.php>Health Dangers of Small Powerful Magnets</a>. Retrieved 2021-05-09, from https://www.disabled-world.com/medical/recalls/magnets.php - Reference: DW#301-9732.