Green Tea Fights Glaucoma and Eye Diseases
- Publish Date: 2010/02/18 - (Rev. 2016/10/02)
- Author: American Chemical Society
Outline: New evidence that green tea may help fight glaucoma and other eye diseases.
Scientists have confirmed that the healthful substances found in green tea, renowned for their powerful antioxidant and disease-fighting properties, do penetrate into tissues of the eye.
Their new report, the first documenting how the lens, retina, and other eye tissues absorb these substances, raises the possibility that green tea may protect against glaucoma and other common eye diseases. It appears in ACS's bi-weekly Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry .
Chi Pui Pang and colleagues point out that so-called green tea "catechins" have been among a number of antioxidants thought capable of protecting the eye. Those include vitamin C, vitamin E, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
Until now, however, nobody knew if the catechins in green tea actually passed from the stomach and gastrointestinal tract into the tissues of the eye.
Pang and his colleagues resolved that uncertainty in experiments with laboratory rats that drank green tea.
Analysis of eye tissues showed beyond a doubt that eye structures absorbed significant amounts of individual catechins.
The retina, for example, absorbed the highest levels of gallocatechin, while the aqueous humor tended to absorb epigallocatechin.
The effects of green tea catechins in reducing harmful oxidative stress in the eye lasted for up to 20 hours.
"Our results indicate that green tea consumption could benefit the eye against oxidative stress," the report concludes.
- 1 - Mushrooms: Antioxidants and Possible Antiaging Potential | Penn State | 2017/11/13
- 2 - Maple Syrup Found to Protect Neurons and Nurture Minds | University of Montreal Hospital Research Centre (CRCHUM) | 2016/04/18
- 3 - MitoQ Novel Antioxidant Makes Old Arteries Seem Young Again | University of Colorado at Boulder | 2018/04/22
- 4 - Evidence Reveals Antioxidant Fisetin May Reduce Mental Effects of Aging | Salk Institute | 2017/07/11
- 5 - Green Tea Fights Glaucoma and Eye Diseases | American Chemical Society | 2010/02/18