Poplar Tree Antioxidant Extract May Help Fight Skin Aging
Author: American Chemical Society
Synopsis and Key Points:
Antioxidants are popular anti-aging ingredients in skin creams and now scientists are reporting extract from leaf buds of poplar trees could be a source of antioxidants for skin creams.
Main DigestAntioxidants are popular anti-aging ingredients in skin creams and now scientists are reporting extract from leaf buds of poplar trees could be a source of antioxidants for skin creams.
Antioxidants are popular anti-aging ingredients in skin creams, and now scientists are reporting a new source of these healthful substances - leaf buds of poplar trees.
Their study appears in the ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
Xavier Vitrac and colleagues note that there's a long history of using poplar buds to treat various health problems, such as colds, sinusitis, sunburn and arthritis.
A substance found in beehives that is made from poplar buds (called propolis) also appears to have similar disease-fighting benefits.
Propolis' effects seem to be due to poplar bud compounds, but very little is known about these substances.
To see whether poplar buds are a good source of antioxidants for skin creams, the researchers decided to test an extract from the buds.
The group found that poplar bud extract had moderate antioxidant activity, and it demonstrated anti-aging effects on cells in the laboratory.
"The collective antioxidant properties and transcriptional effect of this extract suggest potential anti-aging properties which could be utilized in cosmetic and nutraceutical formulations," the scientists say.
The authors acknowledge support from Conseil Regional d'Aquitaine and the Association Nationale de la Recherche Technique.
- 1 - Mushrooms: Antioxidants and Possible Antiaging Potential : Penn State (2017/11/13)
- 2 - Maple Syrup Found to Protect Neurons and Nurture Minds : University of Montreal Hospital Research Centre (CRCHUM) (2016/04/18)
- 3 - MitoQ Novel Antioxidant Makes Old Arteries Seem Young Again : University of Colorado at Boulder (2018/04/22)
- 4 - Evidence Reveals Antioxidant Fisetin May Reduce Mental Effects of Aging : Salk Institute (2017/07/11)
- 5 - Green Tea Fights Glaucoma and Eye Diseases : American Chemical Society (2010/02/18)
- 6 - Lipoic Acid: Circadian Rhythms & Biological Function Benefits : Disabled World (2014/08/01)
- 7 - Alpha Lipoic Acid as an Antioxidant : Darrell Miller (2008/12/19)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.