Does Fat Come Back After Liposuction
- Publish Date: 2011/05/10
- Author: University of Colorado Denver
Outline: Study shows after liposuction is performed fat eventually returns within one year and is redistributed to other areas of the body.
Main DigestDo you think liposuction will get rid of that fat forever- What new research shows.
Liposuction has become one of the most popular plastic surgeries in the country. It has been around since 1974 and there are now more than 450,000 operations a year. But does the fat come back? A recent study by Teri L. Hernandez, PhD, RN and Robert H. Eckel, MD, at the University of Colorado School of Medicine have found that the fat eventually returns within one year, and is redistributed to other areas of the body, especially the upper abdomen. There was further redistribution around the shoulders and triceps of the arms.
"The fact that fat returned is of great interest to us as scientists. It supports the idea that levels of body fat are very tightly regulated by mechanisms we have yet to uncover," said Eckel. "This was the hypothesis we were testing and it was confirmed. In rodents when fat is removed it returns, and after weight loss in humans most everyone regains the weight. We think the brain somehow knows how much fat is on board and responds in a manner to regulate that weight. That's why preventing obesity is so important".
The study was a difficult one to execute because fat must be measured precisely with expensive scans that require multiple resources and considerable manpower. The University of Colorado is one of a handful of institutions that could facilitate this type of highly controlled study. Obesity researchers said that they are not surprised the fat came back. Data in animal models have shown that after surgical removal of fat, it tends to return to other areas. The liposuction study performed at the University of Colorado is the first randomized controlled trial in humans.
"We must emphasize that liposuction surgery is not a weight loss procedure. Our research participants are wonderful women who sought to change their shape through liposuction. Despite fat returning, their cosmetic shape benefit was retained and they have been very happy with their surgery results," said Hernandez.
This paper was published in the latest issue of Obesity.
Faculty at the University of Colorado School of Medicine work to advance science and improve care. These faculty members include physicians, educators and scientists at University of Colorado Hospital, The Children's Hospital, Denver Health, National Jewish Health, and the Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Degrees offered by the School of Medicine include doctor of medicine, doctor of physical therapy, and masters of physician assistant studies. The school is located on the Anschutz Medical Campus, one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system. To learn more about the medical school's care, education, research and community engagement, please visit its web site.
- 1 - Benefits of Mommy Makeover Cosmetic Surgery | Disabled World | 2010/10/28
- 2 - Humanitarian Side of Plastic Surgery | Dr. J Plastic Surgery | 2014/12/06
- 3 - Those Traveling Abroad for Plastic Surgery Can Bring Home Serious Complications | Brigham and Women's Hospital | 2018/03/31
- 4 - Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy | www.thebodydoc.com | 2011/02/18
- 5 - Breast Implants After Breast Cancer | Lisa Moore of PlasticSurgeryGuide.com | 2011/07/04
- 6 - Design Your Own Breasts Before Augmentation Surgery | Canfield Imaging Systems | 2011/07/21
- 7 - Anti-Aging Laser Treatment for Wrinkle Reduction | JUVA Skin & Laser Center | 2011/01/22
- 8 - Loose Skin and Facelift Surgeries after Bariatric Surgery | Wolters Kluwer Health | 2015/02/01
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media