World Disability News Coverage
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Friday, 6th March 2020
Coverage, breaking stories, and regularly updated current disability news with a prime focus on important world issues concerning disabilities and those with disability.
Disabled World News features disability items of interest including community support programs, disability sports news and cultural happenings, along with informative issues of medical concerns, carer fact sheets and related information, accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, and some of the latest clinical trials and medical research findings and discovery publications.
Submit Disability News: If you know of an interesting disability related news story, event, assistive product release or update, or an informative publication that you consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, then please see the Disabled World contact details and submission guidelines page for further information on news, reviews and publications submission.
Latest Disability News and Updates
- 1 - During Pandemic, Disabled Activists Fight a Two-Front War for Their Lives - Op-ed opinion piece looks at critical struggle in Washington and the states to keep seniors and disabled in their homes and not nursing homes that are proving to be dangerous in this new era : Op-ed by Abe Munder (2020/05/24)
- 2 - OpenPandemics COVID-19 World Community Grid Project - During idle times your computer can run COVID-19 experiments to help predict effectiveness of chemical compounds in inhibiting functions of viral proteins as a possible treatment for Coronavirus : Disabled World (2020/05/23)
- 3 - Scott Robertson - H.O.W. (Hell On Wheels) - Signs Agreement with Mirror Image Entertainment Inc. - Scott Robertson, professionally known as H.O.W. (Hell on Wheels), signs recording artist agreement with Atlanta Georgia based record company Mirror Image Entertainment Inc. : Da Godfather of Crunk (2020/05/22)
- 4 - ILCSC Provides Essential Services to Persons with Disabilities During Covid-19 Pandemic Emergency - Persons with disabilities, including youth, older adults and veterans, are benefitting from the information ILCSC is providing for emergency resources : ILCSC (2020/05/20)
- 5 - Cell Pores Discovery: Hope for Millions of Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Patients - Scientists discover new treatment to dramatically reduce swelling after brain and spinal cord injuries, offering hope to 75 million victims worldwide each year : Aston University (2020/05/17)
- 6 - Lime Connect 2020 Pathways Scholarship for High School Seniors with Disabilities - Recipients of the Lime Connect Pathways Scholarship each receive $1,000 in support of their studies at a 4 year university or college in the U.S. or Canada : Lime Connect (2020/05/17)
- 7 - Interact Artists Online Exhibition to Raise Money for Disability Visibility - Interact Center for Visual & Performing Arts presents We Are Not Disposable online exhibition by Interact artists to raise money for disability visibility during coronavirus pandemic : Interact Center for Visual & Performing Arts (2020/05/15)
- 8 - Raising the Bar on Classroom Feedback Techniques for All Learners - Elizabeth Barker and Kristin Basinger from The University of Phoenix paper titled Raising the Bar on Classroom Feedback Techniques for All Learners : Elizabeth Barker and Kristin Basinger (2020/05/14)
- 9 - Learning to Fly a Paramotor in a Wheelchair - Thanks to Mike's incredible determination, the awesome Paramotor community and our epic students, Mike is now a fully qualified Paramotor pilot : Paramotor Training (2020/05/13)
- 10 - No COLA Likely For 2021 Social Security Benefits Lose 30% of Buying Power Since 2000 - Latest U.S. Social Security Loss of Buying Power study by The Senior Citizens League shows Social Security benefits have lost 30 percent of buying power since 2000 : The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) (2020/05/12)
- 11 - COVID-19 Recession Hits Workers with Disability Harder - nTIDE Report featuring Disability Rights Louisiana's Financial Access Inclusion and Resources Program for formerly incarcerated individuals with disabilities : Kessler Foundation (2020/05/10)
- 12 - Largest Analysis Reveals Risk Factors for COVID-19 Death - Risk factors for COVID-19 causes of death by analyzing NHS health data from 17.4M UK adults revealed in the largest analysis of Coronavirus patient records to date : Oxford University (2020/05/09)
- 13 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization - Disabled Sports USA and Adaptive Sports USA join forces to become Move United, the nation's leading community-based adaptive sports organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 14 - Can School Districts Carve Out a Placement from the IDEA's Stay-Put Provision? - Arguably a stay put carve out is not enforceable because it violates the IDEA's public policy of protecting the continuity of disabled students' education : David Greco : RMO LLP (2020/05/01)
- 15 - 2nd Round of Changes to Support Healthcare system During COVID-19 Pandemic - President Trump administration issues second round of sweeping changes to support U.S. healthcare system during COVID-19 pandemic : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (2020/04/30)
- 16 - Serving the Under-served : Health for Everyone App - Communities with less literacy, disabled world, etc., shall benefit even more as such segments will have access to information now, higher awareness and more inclusive : Health for Everyone (2020/04/30)
- 17 - Namibia: Leave No One Behind (LNOB) Creating Access for All - Leave No One Behind (LNOB) a disability accessibility standard for all public buildings and infrastructure has been created in Namibia : Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) (2020/04/30)
- 18 - Action to Support Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities during the COVID-19 Pandemic - $24 Million in temporary wage increases for direct support professionals in group homes and supervised apartments; new guidance for hospitals on families and loved ones : NJ Department of Human Services (2020/04/30)
- 19 - Your Computer Can Help Find Potential COVID-19 Treatments - Scripps Research OpenPandemics COVID-19 project uses home computers to virtually screen chemical compounds that might help fight COVID-19 : IBM (2020/04/29)
- 20 - Live Seated Yoga Classes for Seniors and Disabled - Disabled founders of Wavelength VR launch live seated yoga classes for vulnerable people in self-isolation during covid-19 : Adaptive Yoga Network (2020/04/27)
- 21 - Australian Delivering Skills for Today and Tomorrow Scholarships Program - Australians will be supported to participate in vocational education and training programs through Scholarships Program - Young Australians Delivering Skills for Today and Tomorrow : Disabled World (2020/04/27)
- 22 - A Very British Lockdown - Confused and Chaotic - Paul Dodenhoff from the United Kingdom writes on COVID-19 Coronavirus in the U.K. as well as the current British lockdown and social isolation and lack thereof : Paul Dodenhoff (2020/04/26)
- 23 - COVID-19 Telehealth Toolkit to Accelerate State Use of Telehealth in Medicaid and CHIP - This toolkit provides U.S. states with issues to consider as they evaluate the need to expand their telehealth capabilities and coverage policies : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (2020/04/23)
- 24 - Initiative by Afford Promises All Australians Access to Disability Supports in Response to COVID-19 - Australian Foundation for Disability (AFFORD) has launched a new initiative called Afford Care, to combat gaps in disability supports caused by COVID-19 disruptions : The Australian Foundation for Disability (Afford) (2020/04/17)
- 25 - Invitation for People with Disabilities to Meet and Share COVID-19 Experiences on Zoom - Disability organization RespectAbility is inviting Americans with disabilities to share experiences and organize online in a series of Zoom gatherings : RespectAbility (2020/04/16)
- 26 - COVID-19: Just 1 Infected Person Could Trigger Round 2 - Relaxing social distancing rules before a vaccine or herd immunity is achieved means it will possibly take just one person infected with COVID-19 to restart another worldwide pandemic : Disabled World (2020/04/12)
- 27 - The Brain Broad Talks about Lust: Helping Teenagers with Autism through Puberty and Beyond - In her latest Autism ABCs series Dr. Lynette Louise, aka The Brain Broad, presents her latest video for the letter L which, she decides, stands for Lust : Tsara Shelton (2020/04/11)
- 28 - Millions of Americans with Disabilities Cannot Get Food During Pandemic - Many disabled are vulnerable to COVID-19 because of health conditions, people who are blind and those who use wheelchairs are finding it impossible to maintain social distance : RespectAbility (2020/04/11)
- 29 - Autism ABCs and Fix it in Five: Free from The Brain Broad for April and Beyond - Dr. Lynette Louise releases season one (Uganda) of her international autism docu-series Fix it in Five with Lynette Louise aka The Brain Broad, free for viewing on YouTube : Dr. Lynette Louise (The Brain Broad) (2020/04/09)
- 30 - Happy Potted Plants Delivered by People with Disability Bring Joy to Locals - Happy Pot Plants Project was established to support participants attending the Day Program to get involved in gardening and art activities they love : The Australian Foundation for Disability (Afford) (2020/04/09)
- 31 - List of Skin Diseases and Conditions - Comprehensive list of human skin conditions and diseases of the epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous tissue that make up the skin : Disabled World (2020/04/08)
- 32 - COVID-19 Awareness Ribbons : Coronavirus Ribbon Designs - Submit an awareness ribbon design for Coronavirus COVID-19 or design and color outline that could represent gratitude to front-line workers, remembrance, or other meaning : Disabled World (2020/04/08)
- 33 - Six Feet Not Far Enough Apart for COVID-19 Social Distancing - Article looks at examples of why social distancing should be a far greater distance than the recommended six feet currently advocated : Disabled World (2020/04/06)
- 34 - COVIDView: CDC's Weekly COVID-19 Surveillance Report - U.S. CDC COVIDView includes information related to COVID-19 outpatient visits, emergency department visits, hospitalizations and deaths, as well as laboratory data : U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2020/04/05)
- 35 - Piloting RC Plane with Toes in Time to Music Played Using Hands Video - Video clip features Ali Asgari, who can control a remote control plane with his toes and play music with his hands at the same time : Disabled World (2020/04/03)
- 36 - Global Access to Serious Games and Content for Kids Brain Health - The Uncomplicated Family Group launches Kids Digital Health - a collection of universally accessible serious games and content for children and families with complex needs : The Uncomplicated Family™ (2020/04/02)
- 37 - World Autism Awareness Day with The Brain Broad - Dr. Lynette Louise (aka The Brain Broad), and people who build their lives and livings out of helping others, are finding creative and powerful ways to reach out to their communities : Tsara Shelton (2020/04/02)
- 38 - Key COVID-19 Recommendations to Nursing Homes, State and Local Governments Issued by Trump Administration - CMS and CDC issue critical recommendations to state and local governments and nursing homes to help mitigate spread of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in nursing homes : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (2020/04/02)
- 39 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman...October, Please, Leave Me Now and Never Come Back!!! A poem written by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 40 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa - A short poem written by Flora Aguasa, in regards to the current novel coronavirus global pandemic, titled COVID-19... Leave The World Now! : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 41 - Funding Available for Arts Participation by People with Disability - California's Arts and Accessibility grant program offers support to artists with disabilities and organizations enhancing arts and culture opportunities for people with disabilities : National Arts and Disability Center at UCLA (NADC) (2020/03/28)
- 42 - The Uncomplicated Family Tackles Autism Challenges Amid Global Health Pandemic - Calgary-based digital healthcare services company provides digital health expertise and platform that ensures ongoing healthcare delivery in no and low-touch environments : The Uncomplicated Family™ (2020/03/27)
- 43 - Disability Discrimination Complaint Filed Over COVID-19 Treatment Rationing Plan in Washington State - Health care professionals in US developing protocols including COVID-19 treatment rationing that will determine who will and will not have access to life-saving treatment : Alexandra Deas, Communications Coordinator, Disability Rights Washington : Kristin Wright, Senior Communications Manager, The Arc (2020/03/24)
- 44 - Conductology: Irish Breakthrough Brings Hope to Kids with Disabilities - Shaun Healy, the first person with severe intellectual disabilities to conduct an orchestra, invented Conductology, a new gesture language for music : University of Conductology (2020/03/23)
- 45 - U.S. Medicare and Telehealth Services During COVID-19 Pandemic - Due to COVID-19 Medicare temporarily expands coverage of telehealth services, including evaluation and management visits, mental health counseling and preventive health screenings : Disabled World (2020/03/22)
- 46 - Washing Hands Properly : Hand Sanitizer vs Soap and Water - Explains the difference between alcohol based hand sanitizer and plain hand soap. Information includes when and how to use each one to wash your hands properly : Disabled World (2020/03/21)
- 47 - Airline Seat Design Allows Disabled Passengers to Fly in Own Wheelchair - New prototype airline seat design by Molon Labe Seating of Denver, Colorado will allow disabled passengers to fly in their own wheelchairs : Molon Labe, LLC (2020/03/19)
- 48 - Seriousness of Covid-19 Pandemic in Africa - International NGO ALIMA warns of seriousness of the situation in Africa and calls for emergency deployment of staff, medicine and materials necessary for humanitarian activities : The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) (2020/03/19)
- 49 - The Novel Coronavirus and Your Autistic Child - Dr. Lynette Louise offers tips to help relieve worry and ease health risks from COVID-19 when your child has autism : Dr. Lynette Louise D.Sc., Ph.D. ABD (2020/03/19)
- 50 - U.S. Social Security Urged to Suspend All Continuing Disability Reviews Due to COVID-19 - U.S. Senators urge SSA to temporarily suspend Continuing Disability Reviews (CDRs) under SSDI and SSI programs as America works to combat COVID-19 pandemic outbreak : United States Senator Sherrod Brown (2020/03/19)
Editorials and Opinions
- Editorials - Editorial views on assorted articles and current affairs news stories relating to disability and health.
- Political - World political editorial views on current affairs related to disability and health worldwide.
- Technology - Editorial views on news related to health and disability technology topics in the news.
- Older News Articles - List of articles, fact sheets, and documents from the Disabled World Disability News category.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.