Disability News Stories
Disabled World: Revised/Updated: 2019/10/30
Synopsis: Disabled World coverage of news items and stories from around the world focus on issues and concerns relating to disabilities that are of interest to persons with disability, as well as the general public. Our Disabilities News and Research publications feature selected disability news and findings from around the world. Latest news, headlines, product reviews, photos and videos on Disabilities.
Disabled World News features disability items of interest including community support programs, disability sports news and cultural happenings, along with informative issues of medical concerns, carer fact sheets and related information, accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, disability insurance news, and some of the latest clinical trials and medical research findings and discovery publications.
Submit Disability News
If you have, or know of, an interesting disability related news story, event, assistive product release or update, or an informative publication that you consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, then please see the Disabled World contact details and submission guidelines page for further information on news, reviews and publications submission.
Latest Disability News and Updates
- 1 - The Sunflower Lanyard Program for Hidden Disabilities - Information regarding the invisible disability sunflower lanyard program where a lanyard is worn around the neck to let others know you have hidden disabilities - Disabled World - 2019/11/09
- 2 - Humanitarian Crisis in the Sahel - Large-scale population displacements, armed attacks and high levels of food insecurity have contributed to a humanitarian emergency in the 3 border zone of Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger - The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) - 2019/11/06
- 3 - How Neurodiversity Could Help Improve Your Workforce - By limiting a hiring search to team player candidates could companies restrict their chances of benefiting from diverse innovative thinkers and value added employees - Bill Ryan - 2019/11/02
- 4 - Important Safety Tips and Guidelines for Halloween - Hints and tips provided by authoritative sources including U.S. FDA, Consumer Product Safety Commission, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to enjoy a safe Halloween - Disabled World - 2019/10/23
- 5 - Pitch Black: A Dusklight Story - Accessible Audio Game - Pitch Black is a binaural audio game, entirely accessible to blind and partially sighted people, featuring a fully traversable 3D environment with compelling story, created entirely through sonic environments - Pitch Black - 2019/10/22
- 6 - Innovative Design Competition Shines Spotlight on Spinal Injuries - Competition to discover new generation of designers for people living with spinal injuries. Winning entry receives £3000 and £2000 to be awarded to the winning team's university - Kim Wan - 2019/10/11
- 7 - ILCSC Celebrating 43 Years of Independence - Independent Living Center of Southern California (ILCSC) on Thursday, November 14th, 2019, will be celebrating 43 years of providing services to persons with disabilities over the years to obtain Independence in their lives - Marcy Hernandez, Author/IAAWD Founder - 2019/10/09
- 8 - Seksi Spokes: Colored Covers for Wheelchair Spokes - Dr. Gene Emmer from RehaDesign has just announced the launch of Seksi Spokes, colored covers for wheelchair spokes. - Dr. Gene Emmer - 2019/09/19
- 9 - Daymak All Terrain Boomerbeast 2 Mobility Scooter - Daymak Boomerbeast 2 is the first all terrain electric mobility scooter with fast-charging battery technology - Yoni Erawati - 2019/09/19
- 10 - Gracie's Place Art Studio - What began primarily as nature art, has also blossomed into a popular pet portrait art studio for pet owners who adore their pets - Marcella (Marcy) Hernandez, Founder/Artist/Author - Gracie's Place Art Studio; The International Association of Artists With Disabilities - 2019/09/18
- 11 - 1.6% COLA Estimate for 2020 - 2020 U.S. Social Security cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) benefit boost estimated to be 1.6 percent - The Senior Citizens League - 2019/09/12
- 12 - Art and Disability - Marcy Hernandez discusses art and disabilities. Includes getting motivated to start an art project, and lists some well known famous artists with disabilities - Marcy Hernandez, Founder/Artist The International Association of Artists With Disabilities; Gracie’s Place Art Studio - 2019/09/11
- 13 - Traveling Barbers In-Home Hair Care Services for The Disabled - The Traveling Barbers offer professional mobile barber and hairstylist services for in-home hair care for persons with disabilities and individuals with special-needs - The Traveling Barbers - Hair Professionals for The Disabled - 2019/09/06
- 14 - Tickets for 2020 Tokyo Paralympics On-sale from 5th September 2019 - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announce international tickets and packages for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will be available from Thursday 5th September 2019 - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) - 2019/09/03
- 15 - Diversity in the Gaming Industry - New scoring system that ranks games based on their representation of race, gender and disabilities reveals there is still a long way to go to accurately represent the diverse communities playing them - Currys PC World - 2019/08/31
- 16 - Harder Than You Think - Paralympic Games Documentary Film - Producers John Battsek and Greg Nugent of HTYT Films producing ground-breaking new feature documentary titled 'Harder Than You Think', which charts the extraordinary story of the Paralympic Games - Craig Spence, IPC Chief Marketing and Communications Officer - 2019/08/26
- 17 - Aerobics May Improve Walking and Endurance After Stroke - Research reveals stroke survivors who completed group aerobic exercise programs similar to cardiac rehabilitation programs significantly improved aerobic endurance and walking ability - Journal of the American Heart Association Report - 2019/08/15
- 18 - Should I Go to a Doctor, Walk-in Clinic, Urgent Care Center, or Hospital Emergency Department - Provides information regarding where to go to get medical care when you are not sure if you should go to a walk-in clinic, urgent care center, family doctor, or hospital emergency department - Disabled World - 2019/08/15
- 19 - Famous People Who Died from Head and Neck Cancer - List of notable people who died from head and neck cancers that include; throat, esophageal, laryngeal, oral, and thyroid cancers - Disabled World - 2019/08/13
- 20 - Local UK Councils Disabled Facilities Grant Spending - Freedom of Information Requests submitted on behalf of A Wood Idea have revealed that UK council funding through Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) is at a 10-year high - Autumn Wiberg - 2019/08/06
- 21 - Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will Transform Japan - Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will transform Japanese society and significantly raise awareness of and advance Sustainable Development Goals according to IPC Chief Marketing and Communications Officer Craig Spence - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) - 2019/08/03
- 22 - Record Live Sports Broadcasts for Tokyo 2020 Paralympics - IPC announces a record 21 disciplines from 19 sports will be broadcast live from the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) - 2019/07/22
- 23 - HealthPedal: Pedal Powered Mobility and Fitness Wheelchair Device - HealthPedal is an indoor and outdoor pedal powered wheelchair that can be used for mobility, freedom, fitness, and strength building - HealthPedal - 2019/07/19
- 24 - Unpopular Truth Regarding Biases Toward Disabled - The unpopular truth about biases toward people with disabilities by Caroline Brooks and William Chopik at Michigan State University - Michigan State University - 2019/07/19
- 25 - Federal Accessibility Legislation in Canada Now Operational - Accessible Canada Act establishes framework to create a barrier-free Canada through proactive identification, removal and prevention of accessibility barriers - Employment and Social Development Canada - 2019/07/12
- 26 - Media Needs to Start Breaking Down Stigma Surrounding Disability - EESC hearing reveals that to build a more inclusive society that sees the person, not the disability, the media needs to use human rights approach to disability in news and entertainment programs - European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) - 2019/07/11
- 27 - To Improve Mental Health UK Employees Moving to Flexible Workplaces - The results from the survey highlight the real benefits that adopting flexible working can offer to both employees and employers - Wildgoose - 2019/07/10
- 28 - 2019 Statistics Reveal Strong Job Gains for Disabled Americans - June 2019 nTIDE Jobs Report highlights initiatives supporting greater independence for people with disabilities - Kessler Foundation - 2019/07/09
- 29 - Accessible Canada Act - Canadian Federal Accessibility Legislation - Passed in House of Commons and Senate of Canada the new Accessible Canada Act will transform how Canadian Government addresses disability accessibility across the country - Employment and Social Development Canada - 2019/06/22
- 30 - Change TV Channel Using Your Eyes with Xfinity X1 Eye Control - Xfinity X1 users with disabilities like spinal cord injuries or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) can now use their eyes to change channels, set a recording or search for shows - Comcast - 2019/06/19
Editorials and Opinions
- Editorials - Editorial views on assorted articles and current affairs news stories relating to disability and health.
- Political - World political editorial views on current affairs related to disability and health worldwide.
- Technology - Editorial views on news related to health and disability technology topics in the news.
- Older News Articles - List of articles, fact sheets, and documents from the Disabled World Disability News category.