- Synopsis: Disabled World News features a roundup of health and disability news articles and stories from around the globe focusing on issues relating to disabilities.
The Disabled World Disability News category covers the latest information affecting people living with a disability, their families, and carers. News includes community support programs, sports and cultural happenings, along with issues of medical concerns, current and future treatments available, and care options.
You'll also find documents relating to accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, disability insurance news and updates, health care, special needs education, and some of the latest clinical trials and medical research findings.
Get Published: We publish fundraising efforts and coming events, as well as outreach and disability/health awareness initiatives. To have information published on Disabled World see further down the page for news, articles, and event submissions.
- Arson Attack On British Special Needs School Causes £23,000 Worth Of Damage - 2017-04-26
Arson attack on school catering for special needs in Lancashire caused up to £23,000 in damage costs, wrecking an outdoor classroom and destroying play equipment.
- New Guideline on Uncommon Risk of Death in Epilepsy - Seizure Control May Reduce Risk - 2017-04-26
Guideline recommends health professionals tell people with epilepsy that controlling seizures, especially tonic-clonic seizures, may reduce risk of SUDEP.
- Diabetes Type 1 and 2 On The Rise Among Children and Teens - 2017-04-26
Report reveals rates of new diagnosed cases of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes are increasing among youth in the United States.
- Game Changer: The Remarkable Story of Caroline's Cart - 2017-04-25
Caroline's Cart creator Drew Ann Long releases book chronicling rise from mom to special needs advocate and entrepreneur.
- Frozen Fruits and Vegetables Help Achieve Nutrition Goals - 2017-04-25
Research shows consumers of frozen fruits and vegetables have significantly greater intakes of key healthy nutrients, such as potassium, fiber and calcium.
- OCE Discovery 2017 - $20,000 in Accessibility Focused Pitch Competition - 2017-04-24
Companies in Ontario that focus on accessibility and assistive technology will compete in Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) $20,000 Accessibility Tech Pitch Competition.
- Virtual Reality Used to Help Prevent Falls - 2017-04-24
VR could be a big help in detecting balance impairments early and for reversing those impairments and preventing falls.
- Owning a Pet is Good for Mental Health Issues - 2017-04-24
Emotional Support Animals are now used in treatment and considered part of the normal care for a variety of mental health issues.
- 2017 Warriors to Summits Expedition Team - 2017-04-20
12 veterans with disabilities will attempt to summit Mount Brooks in Denali National Park and Preserve on September 11th.
- Majority of Americans Still Suffer From Trump Election Results Anxiety - 2017-04-20
New study shows majority of Americans still suffer from election results anxiety as president Trumps's 100th day draws near.
- Beetroot Juice Before Exercise Aids Seniors Brains - 2017-04-19
Study reveals drinking beetroot juice supplement before working out makes the brain of older adults perform more efficiently.
- Sonic Alert Day and Time Clock Helps Memory Loss Patients Know What Day It Is - 2017-04-18
New day and time clock displays day of week, time and date without confusing abbreviations, reducing anxiety and confusion.
- 21-Gene Assay - Are Oncologists Jumping the Gun? - 2017-04-17
Study uncovers discrepant decision making for use of 21-gene assay in women with cancer.
- Potential for Intellectual Disability Personalized Medicine as 26 Novel Genes Identified - 2017-04-16
Study adds to growing knowledge of brain development and functioning and may lead to personalized treatments for intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorders.
- Visually-Impaired Children Experience Egg Hunt with Eggs That Beep - 2017-04-15
ATF creates beeping eggs so vision impaired children can experience an Easter egg hunt.
- WHILL WeDrive - Free Online Community for Mobility Device Users - 2017-04-13
WeDrive connects WHILL owners with people interested in trying mobility devices to independently set up test drives and share experiences.
- Grey Hair Linked to Heightened Heart Disease Risk in Males - 2017-04-13
Study assessed prevalence of grey hair in patients with coronary artery disease and whether it was an independent risk marker of disease.
- Down Payment Main Obstacle for Renters Buying a House - 2017-04-12
Almost 70 percent of renters in 20 U.S. metros say coming up with the down payment is holding them back from homeownership.
- Film Highlights Absurdity of 15 Minute U.K. Care Visits - 2017-04-12
Satirical film starring Claire Sweeney highlights the indignity suffered by thousands of elderly people because of 15 minute care visits.
- Driving with ASD - 1 in 3 Teens Receive Drivers License - 2017-04-11
First large-scale study on driving outcomes among adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders suggests families decision to drive occurs before learners permit.
- Compact DreamStation CPAP Sleep Apnea Device Makes Travel Easier - 2017-04-11
DreamStation Go device is designed to simplify travel for patients living with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
- Stumps and Cranks - An Introduction to Amputee Cycling - 2017-04-08
Book includes amputee cycling tips on two wheelers, tricycles, recumbents, handbikes, tandems, unicycles, electric bikes, and specialized cycling forms designed for the disability market.
- PneuChair Compressed Air Powered Wheelchair - 2017-04-07
PneuChair is a waterproof motorized wheelchair that runs entirely on compressed air instead of batteries and electronics.
- Epigenetic Clock Distinguishes Between Chronological and Biological Age - 2017-04-07
Traditional clocks measure the passage of chronological time and age, an epigenetic clock can also measure biological age.
- KFC To Eliminate Use of Medically Important Antibiotics from Chicken Supply - 2017-04-07
KFC U.S. announces by the end of 2018 all chicken purchased by KFC will be raised without antibiotics important to human medicine.
Editorials, Submissions, and Newsletters
Editorials: Our Editorials section includes Political, Technology, and Veterans opinion pieces.
Submissions: To submit disability related items, events, and news releases - visit our submission guidelines.
Newsletter: Click Here to Subscribe to our weekly roundup of the latest published disability news and articles.
Disability Newsletters: List of other newsletters regarding disability issues and news - Disability Newsletters List.
Latest Disability News Publications
- UN Expert Claims After a Decade Disability Rights Still Lagging
States must urgently step up their work to ensure that persons with disabilities can take their place as equal members of society - United Nations human rights expert.
- Nearly 25% of Children Live in Conflict or Disaster Stricken Countries
UNICEF states an estimated 535 million children live in countries affected by conflict or disaster, often without access to medical care, quality education, proper nutrition and protection.
- DEWA Inaugurates 1st Annual Conference for People with Disabilities
Conference supports DEWA strategy to empower people with disabilities and contribute to integrating them into society as individuals capable of innovation and creativity.
- Holly Robinson Peete Speaks on Importance of Hiring People with Disabilities
Holly Robinson Peete speaks at Gatepath Event on importance of hiring people with disabilities - Special announcement about son RJ landing job with Los Angeles Dodgers.
- UN Humanitarian Summit Endorses New Charter for Persons with Disabilities
A new charter to significantly improve living conditions of persons with disabilities during emergencies has been endorsed at the United Nations World Humanitarian Summit.
Full List of Disability News Documents (22 Items)