World Disability News Coverage
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Friday, 6th March 2020
Coverage, breaking stories, and regularly updated current disability news with a prime focus on important world issues concerning disabilities and those with disability.
Disabled World News features disability items of interest including community support programs, disability sports news and cultural happenings, along with informative issues of medical concerns, carer fact sheets and related information, accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, and some of the latest clinical trials and medical research findings and discovery publications.
Submit Disability News: If you know of an interesting disability related news story, event, assistive product release or update, or an informative publication that you consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, then please see the Disabled World contact details and submission guidelines page for further information on news, reviews and publications submission.
Latest Disability News and Updates
- 1 - COVIDView: CDC's Weekly COVID-19 Surveillance Report - U.S. CDC COVIDView includes information related to COVID-19 outpatient visits, emergency department visits, hospitalizations and deaths, as well as laboratory data : U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2020/04/05)
- 2 - Piloting RC Plane with Toes in Time to Music Played Using Hands Video - Video clip features Ali Asgari, who can control a remote control plane with his toes and play music with his hands at the same time : Disabled World (2020/04/03)
- 3 - Global Access to Serious Games and Content for Kids Brain Health - The Uncomplicated Family Group launches Kids Digital Health - a collection of universally accessible serious games and content for children and families with complex needs : The Uncomplicated Family™ (2020/04/02)
- 4 - World Autism Awareness Day with The Brain Broad - Dr. Lynette Louise (aka The Brain Broad), and people who build their lives and livings out of helping others, are finding creative and powerful ways to reach out to their communities : Tsara Shelton (2020/04/02)
- 5 - Key COVID-19 Recommendations to Nursing Homes, State and Local Governments Issued by Trump Administration - CMS and CDC issue critical recommendations to state and local governments and nursing homes to help mitigate spread of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in nursing homes : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (2020/04/02)
- 6 - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman - A Voice of a Forlorn Blind Woman...October, Please, Leave Me Now and Never Come Back!!! A poem written by Flora Aguasa : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 7 - COVID-19... Leave The World Now! A Poem by Flora Aguasa - A short poem written by Flora Aguasa, in regards to the current novel coronavirus global pandemic, titled COVID-19... Leave The World Now! : Flora Aguasa (2020/03/31)
- 8 - Funding Available for Arts Participation by People with Disability - California's Arts and Accessibility grant program offers support to artists with disabilities and organizations enhancing arts and culture opportunities for people with disabilities : National Arts and Disability Center at UCLA (NADC) (2020/03/28)
- 9 - The Uncomplicated Family Tackles Autism Challenges Amid Global Health Pandemic - Calgary-based digital healthcare services company provides digital health expertise and platform that ensures ongoing healthcare delivery in no and low-touch environments : The Uncomplicated Family™ (2020/03/27)
- 10 - Disability Discrimination Complaint Filed Over COVID-19 Treatment Rationing Plan in Washington State - Health care professionals in US developing protocols including COVID-19 treatment rationing that will determine who will and will not have access to life-saving treatment : Alexandra Deas, Communications Coordinator, Disability Rights Washington : Kristin Wright, Senior Communications Manager, The Arc (2020/03/24)
- 11 - Conductology: Irish Breakthrough Brings Hope to Kids with Disabilities - Shaun Healy, the first person with severe intellectual disabilities to conduct an orchestra, invented Conductology, a new gesture language for music : University of Conductology (2020/03/23)
- 12 - U.S. Medicare and Telehealth Services During COVID-19 Pandemic - Due to COVID-19 Medicare temporarily expands coverage of telehealth services, including evaluation and management visits, mental health counseling and preventive health screenings : Disabled World (2020/03/22)
- 13 - Washing Hands Properly : Hand Sanitizer vs Soap and Water - Explains the difference between alcohol based hand sanitizer and plain hand soap. Information includes when and how to use each one to wash your hands properly : Disabled World (2020/03/21)
- 14 - Airline Seat Design Allows Disabled Passengers to Fly in Own Wheelchair - New prototype airline seat design by Molon Labe Seating of Denver, Colorado will allow disabled passengers to fly in their own wheelchairs : Molon Labe, LLC (2020/03/19)
- 15 - Seriousness of Covid-19 Pandemic in Africa - International NGO ALIMA warns of seriousness of the situation in Africa and calls for emergency deployment of staff, medicine and materials necessary for humanitarian activities : The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) (2020/03/19)
- 16 - The Novel Coronavirus and Your Autistic Child - Dr. Lynette Louise offers tips to help relieve worry and ease health risks from COVID-19 when your child has autism : Dr. Lynette Louise D.Sc., Ph.D. ABD (2020/03/19)
- 17 - U.S. Social Security Urged to Suspend All Continuing Disability Reviews Due to COVID-19 - U.S. Senators urge SSA to temporarily suspend Continuing Disability Reviews (CDRs) under SSDI and SSI programs as America works to combat COVID-19 pandemic outbreak : United States Senator Sherrod Brown (2020/03/19)
- 18 - Shabnam Rangwala from Mumbai Shortlisted for Prestigious Humanitarian Award - Shabnam Rangwala from Mumbai has been shortlisted to win a coveted humanitarian honor at the Bond International Development Awards 2020, London, UK : Disabled World (2020/03/18)
- 19 - Webinar, Fact Sheet for Protecting Students Civil Rights During COVID-19 - U.S. Department of Education releases webinar and fact sheet for protecting American students civil rights during COVID-19 response : U.S. Department of Education (2020/03/18)
- 20 - The Disability Download Podcasts - A series of podcasts known as The Disability Download, brought to you by pan-disability charity Leonard Cheshire, that respond to topics, stories and conversations about disabilities : Disabled World (2020/03/17)
- 21 - Disability Provider Training Program to Help Create Jobs, Services and Prosperity - Small to medium disability service providers across Australia set to benefit from launch of free interactive learning program designed to help them maximise growing number of opportunities generated by NDIS : Community Business Bureau (CBB) (2020/03/16)
- 22 - Due to COVID-19 Social Security Offices to Provide Phone and Online Services Only - All local U.S. Social Security offices will be closed to the public for in-person service starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020 : United States Social Security Administration (2020/03/16)
- 23 - COVID-19 Death Rate by Percentage, Sex, Pre-existing Condition - Facts and statistics tables regarding the current mortality rate from contracting the COVID-19 Coronavirus : Disabled World (2020/03/14)
- 24 - Underlying Medical Conditions That Increase Risk of Serious COVID-19 Illness for All Ages - List of medical conditions and factors that can place a person diagnosed with the novel coronavirus at a higher risk of developing severe symptoms and side effects, of COVID-19 : Disabled World (2020/03/13)
- 25 - Coronavirus Outbreak: Thoughts From the UK - Paul Dodenhoff writes from the UK regarding the possible effects and outcome of the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic in Britain : Paul Dodenhoff (2020/03/12)
- 26 - DVPRS 2.0 Pain Scale Chart for Service Personnel and Veterans - The Defense and Veterans Pain Rating Scale DVPRS 2.0 is a pain assessment tool using a rating scale, word descriptors, color coding, pictorial facial expressions matching pain levels : Disabled World (2020/03/12)
- 27 - How Will the COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak End? - Humans have not seen this strain of Coronavirus before, meaning we are not immune to it, making COVID-19 in the case of a pandemic a potential for many millions of infections : Disabled World (2020/03/11)
- 28 - Call for Caution and Care as COVID-19 Coronavirus Continues to Spread - American Academy of Nursing call for caution and care as the COVID-19 coronavirus continues to spread - attention to the elderly, frail, and immunodeficient are paramount : American Academy of Nursing (2020/03/10)
- 29 - Telehealth : A Lifeline for Patients During Coronavirus Outbreak - Telehealth program benefits help patients access their provider without visiting the office and are a lifeline for patients during COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak : U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services - Part of Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) (2020/03/09)
- 30 - COVID-19 : Individual Response Just as Important as Government Action - Researchers suggest what can be done to minimize a possible COVID-19 epidemic spread and its impact on the world's population : University of Oxford (2020/03/06)
Editorials and Opinions
- Editorials - Editorial views on assorted articles and current affairs news stories relating to disability and health.
- Political - World political editorial views on current affairs related to disability and health worldwide.
- Technology - Editorial views on news related to health and disability technology topics in the news.
- Older News Articles - List of articles, fact sheets, and documents from the Disabled World Disability News category.