World Disability News Coverage
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Wednesday, 3rd June 2020
Synopsis and Key Points:
Coverage, breaking stories, and regularly updated current disability news with a prime focus on important world issues concerning disabilities and those with disability.
Disabled World News features disability items of interest including community support programs, disability sports news and cultural happenings, along with informative issues of medical concerns, carer fact sheets and related information. We also provide relevant information concerning new and changes to accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, and present some of the latest available clinical trials, medical research findings, and discovery papers and publications.
Submit Disability News:
If you know of an interesting disability related news story, event, assistive product release or update, or an informative publication that you consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, then please see the Disabled World contact details and submission guidelines page for further information on news, reviews and publications submission.
Latest Disability News and Updates
- 1 - Pakistan Will Fail To Reach the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) Without Focus on Disability - In Pakistan people with disabilities often have higher health care needs, but may find it difficult to access services : Cynthia Sohail (2021/01/12)
- 2 - What 2020 Taught Me About Disability in the UK - Paul Dodenhoff reports on how the current COVID-19 global pandemic has further highlighted people with disabilities are still actively discriminated against : Paul Dodenhoff (2021/01/04)
- 3 - Why We Revolt: A Patient Revolution for Careful and Kind Care - Book review of Why We Revolt: A Patient Revolution for Careful and Kind Care written by Victor Montori : Tsara Shelton (2020/12/28)
- 4 - Stop Therapy Doll Shaming - A Personal Plea - A personal plea by Thecla, a survivor of childhood abuse and bullying, to stop therapy doll shaming and discrimination : Thecla (2020/12/25)
- 5 - Metolazone Could be Key to Increased Lifespan - Existing anti-hypertension drug Metolazone can activate mitochondrial stress response that prolongs lifespan shows potential for re-purposing into anti-aging pharmaceutical drugs for humans : Osaka City University, Japan (2020/12/24)
- 6 - U.S. Federal Legislation Prevents Organ Transplant Discrimination - Charlotte Woodward Organ Transplant Discrimination Prevention Act prohibits discrimination against individuals based on their disability when seeking an organ transplant : National Down Syndrome Society (2020/12/24)
- 7 - LED Lights Found to Kill Coronavirus Quickly and Cheaply - The research has both commercial and societal implications, given the possibility of using LED bulbs in all areas of our lives, safely and quickly : Tel Aviv University (TAU) (2020/12/22)
- 8 - Santiago 2023 Parapan American Games - Facts and information regarding The Santiago 2023 Parapan American Games sporting program an international multi-sport event for athletes with disabilities : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/12/16)
- 9 - Ireland: Persons with Disabilities Health Survey Results - Information, including facts and statistics regarding the results of the Irish Health Survey 2019, Disabilities : CSO: Central Statistics Office (2020/12/16)
- 10 - New Scotland Child Disability Payment - The Scottish Child Disability Payment pilot areas have been announced and initial applications are to be taken in three local authority areas : Scottish Government (2020/12/10)
- 11 - Mother's Empathy Linked to Epigenetic Changes to Oxytocin Gene - Research article regarding study that shed light on interconnectedness among Oxytocin gene, brain structure, and maternal empathy : University of Fukui, Japan (2020/12/09)
- 12 - Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled - Voiceitt announces people with speech impairments will now be able to use the Voiceitt mobile app to access and interact with Amazon Alexa : Voiceitt (2020/12/05)
- 13 - Emotional, Social, and Developmental Benefits of Gaming - Expert psychologists and doctors reveal the benefits of gaming, especially during the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic : Currys PC World (2020/12/04)
- 14 - The Brain Broad's COVID-19 Response - A few of the changes Dr. Lynette Louise, The Brain Broad, made due COVID restrictions : Tsara Shelton (2020/12/03)
- 15 - Diversity in the TV Industry - How accurately minorities are represented in TV Industry jobs compared with presence in wider UK workforce and national population : Currys PC World (2020/11/25)
- 16 - Disability Bias in AI Hiring Tools and Legal Protection - Artificial Intelligence (AI) bias in job hiring and recruiting causes concern as new form of employment discrimination : Juyoun Han and Patrick Lin (2020/11/25)
- 17 - 3dRudder Foot Mouse - The 3dRudder Foot Mouse is designed for people who are unable to use a standard mouse using hands, but still need the use of a mouse : Stanislas Chesnais (2020/11/24)
- 18 - U.S. FBI Hate Crime Statistics 2019 - FBI hate crime data submitted by 15,588 law enforcement agencies provide information about offenses, victims, offenders, and locations of hate crimes : FBI National Press Office (2020/11/17)
- 19 - Gona Rubian Ranesa: Reynols New Studio Album - New music studio album Gona Rubian Ranesa by Reynols, one of the longest running inclusive rock bands led by Down Syndrome drummer/singer Miguel Tomasín : Daphnia Press (2020/11/11)
- 20 - Tidal Basin Revitalization - Disability Community Voice Vital - FDR Memorial Legacy Committee mission to ensure disability community efforts at FDR Memorial in Washington DC become part of the Memorial's educational materials, visitor information, and collective memory. : FDR Memorial Legacy Committee (FDR Committee) (2020/10/29)
- 21 - Doctors Telling Patients Get Flu Shot this Season - Majority of U.S. doctors (92%) tell patients to get the flu shot and majority of physicians and doctors worldwide believe second wave of COVID-19 likely : Sermo (2020/10/25)
- 22 - Hearing Aids Market Worth $7 Billion by 2025 - CAGR: 3.9% - Report published by Polaris Market Research reveals the global hearing aids market is anticipated to reach USD 6,992.1 million by 2025 : Polaris Market Research (2020/10/22)
- 23 - 1.3% COLA Benefit Increase for 2021 | Social Security - U.S. Social Security Administration announces Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for Americans to increase 1.3 percent in 2021 : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/10/13)
- 24 - Free Virtual Acting Courses For People With Physical Disability - Angel City Sports presents virtual acting workshops with free 8 week course designed for those with physical disabilities : Angel City Sports (2020/10/08)
- 25 - United Through Sports 2020 World Virtual Youth Festival : IPC - IPC and multiple sport organisations have partnered with United Through Sports to launch 2020 World Virtual Youth Festival to get youngsters around the world active during COVID-19 pandemic : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/10/07)
- 26 - Proposed Changes to Medical Assistance in Dying Legislation : Canadian Government - Medical Assistance In Dying (MAID) is a complex and deeply personal issue. Article outlines reintroduced proposed changes to Canada's Criminal Code provisions on MAID : Department of Justice Canada (2020/10/07)
- 27 - Live Well By Eating Green Foods - Naturopaths have recommended the use of green foods to enhance the treatment of diseases such asthma candida lupus and HIV : Disabled World (2020/10/01)
- 28 - Medicare Health and Drug Plans - Are You Paying Too Much? - Chances are high that most retirees are paying too much for their Medicare health and drug plans, says The Senior Citizens League (TSCL). : The Senior Citizens League (2020/09/30)
- 29 - Public Sector EU Websites Must Now Be Accessible - All European public-sector bodies now legally obliged to have accessible websites for all members of the public including persons with disabilities : European Disability Forum (EDF) (2020/09/25)
- 30 - NCPD ID Cards for Persons with Disabilities and Disability App - National Commission for Persons with Disabilities proposes mobile app for persons with disabilities and their families in addition to creation of an ID Card for persons with disabilities : Matt Maura : Bahamas Information Services (2020/09/24)
- 31 - Event with Paralympians Tatyana McFadden, John Boie and Rose Hollermann - Digital Day Dream event on Wednesday, September 23 at 7:00pm EST with Paralympians McFadden, Boie, and Hollermann inspires kids with life-altering conditions : Dream On 3 (2020/09/20)
- 32 - Traipsin Global On Wheels Podcast and Platform - Traipsin Global On Wheels (TGOW) provides a platform and podcast to inform and advance disability rights and advocacy work in the area of climate change, travel, and fitness : Disabled World (2020/09/18)
- 33 - Beijing 2022 and Paris 2024 Paralympic Games Media Rights - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) launches requests for information for Beijing 2022 and Paris 2024 Paralympic Games media rights in Europe : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/09/17)
- 34 - 2021 COLA: 1.3% Predicted - U.S. Social Security recipients likely to get 1.3 percent cost of living adjustment (COLA) in 2021 - the 2nd lowest ever paid, according to The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) : The Senior Citizens League (2020/09/16)
- 35 - SMA1 Infant Life-Saving Zolgensma Therapy Unavailable in Canada - Ground-breaking new drug Zolgensma that could stop progression of Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1 (SMA1) is the most expensive medication in the world : John and Amanda Hanki (2020/09/15)
- 36 - Saved and Remade Series Seeking Applications from Disabled Community - Saved and Remade, a new series for BBC Two with presenter Sabrina Grant, is looking for people with disabilities to take part on the show : Red Sky Productions (2020/09/14)
- 37 - Vichay Phommachan: Deaf Artist, Actor, Model, and Dancer - Biography of Vichay Phommachan an 35 years old deaf artist, actor, model, and dancer born in Thailand and raised in Tecumseh, Nebraska : Disabled World (2020/09/12)
- 38 - IWBF's Non-compliance with 2015 IPC Athlete Classification Code - An open letter to interested stakeholders regarding the IWBF's non-compliance with the 2015 IPC Athlete Classification Code : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/09/04)
- 39 - How to Create God Mode in Microsoft Windows 10 - Instructions to create Windows 10 God Mode folder to provide convenient and accessible access to many of your Microsoft PC computer settings all in the one place : Disabled World (2020/09/04)
- 40 - Online Social Security Video Hearings Due to COVID-19 - U.S. Department of Social Security announces an two way online video service for people awaiting a hearing decision : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/09/04)
- 41 - Obesity, Smoking, Physical Labor May Explain Disability Disparities - University of Michigan (U-M) study reveals excess body mass, smoking, and manual labor explain a large proportion of disability disparities in the U.S. : The Gerontological Society of America (GSA) (2020/09/01)
- 42 - Channel 4 Secures Paris 2024 Paralympic Games Broadcast Rights - Channel 4 awarded UK television rights to the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games including multi-platform broadcast rights within the UK : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/08/28)
- 43 - Clip-Knix Front Fastening Underwear - Clip-Knix are attractive, front-fastening underwear that can be put on easily without the need to bend or balance on one leg : Clip-Knix (2020/08/25)
- 44 - Campus Maps for Students with Visual Impairments - SAS launches free resources to create and share non-visual digital maps to help open up the higher education experience : SAS (2020/08/24)
- 45 - Using Uncertainty Reduction Theory to Help Students Deal with Stress and Anxiety and Improve Their Overall Classroom Performance - Uncertainty reduction theory assumes uncertainty in new situations makes communication difficult; uncertainty can create frustration and reduced satisfaction; reducing uncertainty can alleviate these negative feelings : Kristin Basinger, Tracy Crawford, Lauren Critchley, and Jennifer Romano, Full Time Faculty, University of Phoenix (2020/08/06)
- 46 - Smart Mouthware: Control Phone or Computer Using Tongue - Smart Mouthware Computer Mouse is a touchpad built into an orthodontic retainer that allows users to move the cursor by moving their tongue across the roof of the mouth : JJ Moritz, President, Sapien LLC (2020/08/02)
- 47 - DOJ Settlement with Bank of America to Resolve Claims of Disability Discrimination and Compensate Victims - Complaint alleges that the Bank of America refused to issue mortgages to individuals who are under guardianships : U.S. Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs (2020/07/31)
- 48 - BafA Stimulates Production of New Blood Vessels - Study provides insight about BafA protein that may be further used in regenerative medicine for replacing or regenerating lost or damaged parts of the body : Fujita Health University, Japan (2020/07/22)
- 49 - Nearly 50% of Seniors Go Without Essentials During Pandemic - Survey to learn the financial impact of the coronavirus on older Americans indicates almost half of retirees say they have gone without essential items : The Senior Citizens League (2020/07/22)
- 50 - COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games - The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Governing Board discuss impact of COVID-19 pandemic across the Paralympic Movement, including the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/07/11)
Editorials and Opinions
- Editorials - Editorial views on assorted articles and current affairs news stories relating to disability and health.
- Political - World political editorial views on current affairs related to disability and health worldwide.
- Technology - Editorial views on news related to health and disability technology topics in the news.
- Older News Articles - List of articles, fact sheets, and documents from the Disabled World Disability News category.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.