Disabled World: Revised/Updated: 2019/04/12
Synopsis: Disabled World coverage of news items and stories from around the world focus on issues and concerns relating to disabilities that are of interest to persons with disability, as well as the general public. Our Disabilities News and Research publications feature selected disability news and findings from around the world. Latest news, headlines, product reviews, photos and videos on Disabilities.
Disabled World News relating to disability items of interest includes community support programs, disability sports news and cultural happenings, along with informative issues of medical concerns, carer fact sheets and related information, accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, disability insurance news, and some of the latest clinical trials and medical research findings and discovery publications.
If you have, or know of, an interesting disability news story, event, assistive product, or informative article that you consider will be of interest, then please see the Disabled World contact details and submission guidelines page for further information on news, reviews and publications submission.
• Innovative Design Competition Shines Spotlight on Spinal Injuries - Competition to discover new generation of designers for people living with spinal injuries. Winning entry receives £3000 and £2000 to be awarded to the winning team's university - Kim Wan - 2019/10/11
• ILCSC Celebrating 43 Years of Independence - Independent Living Center of Southern California (ILCSC) on Thursday, November 14th, 2019, will be celebrating 43 years of providing services to persons with disabilities over the years to obtain Independence in their lives - Marcy Hernandez, Author/IAAWD Founder - 2019/10/09
• Seksi Spokes: Colored Covers for Wheelchair Spokes - Dr. Gene Emmer from RehaDesign has just announced the launch of Seksi Spokes, colored covers for wheelchair spokes. - Dr. Gene Emmer - 2019/09/19
• Daymak All Terrain Boomerbeast 2 Mobility Scooter - Daymak Boomerbeast 2 is the first all terrain electric mobility scooter with fast-charging battery technology - Yoni Erawati - 2019/09/19
• Gracie's Place Art Studio - What began primarily as nature art, has also blossomed into a popular pet portrait art studio for pet owners who adore their pets - Marcella (Marcy) Hernandez, Founder/Artist/Author - Gracie's Place Art Studio; The International Association of Artists With Disabilities - 2019/09/18
• 1.6% COLA Estimate for 2020 - 2020 U.S. Social Security cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) benefit boost estimated to be 1.6 percent - The Senior Citizens League - 2019/09/12
• Art and Disability - Marcy Hernandez discusses art and disabilities. Includes getting motivated to start an art project, and lists some well known famous artists with disabilities - Marcy Hernandez, Founder/Artist The International Association of Artists With Disabilities; Gracie’s Place Art Studio - 2019/09/11
• Traveling Barbers In-Home Hair Care Services for The Disabled - The Traveling Barbers offer professional mobile barber and hairstylist services for in-home hair care for persons with disabilities and individuals with special-needs - The Traveling Barbers - Hair Professionals for The Disabled - 2019/09/06
• Tickets for 2020 Tokyo Paralympics On-sale from 5th September 2019 - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announce international tickets and packages for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will be available from Thursday 5th September 2019 - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) - 2019/09/03
• Diversity in the Gaming Industry - New scoring system that ranks games based on their representation of race, gender and disabilities reveals there is still a long way to go to accurately represent the diverse communities playing them - Currys PC World - 2019/08/31
• Harder Than You Think - Paralympic Games Documentary Film - Producers John Battsek and Greg Nugent of HTYT Films producing ground-breaking new feature documentary titled 'Harder Than You Think', which charts the extraordinary story of the Paralympic Games - Craig Spence, IPC Chief Marketing and Communications Officer - 2019/08/26
• Aerobics May Improve Walking and Endurance After Stroke - Research reveals stroke survivors who completed group aerobic exercise programs similar to cardiac rehabilitation programs significantly improved aerobic endurance and walking ability - Journal of the American Heart Association Report - 2019/08/15
• Should I Go to a Doctor, Walk-in Clinic, Urgent Care Center, or Hospital Emergency Department - Provides information regarding where to go to get medical care when you are not sure if you should go to a walk-in clinic, urgent care center, family doctor, or hospital emergency department - Disabled World - 2019/08/15
• Famous People Who Died from Head and Neck Cancer - List of notable people who died from head and neck cancers that include; throat, esophageal, laryngeal, oral, and thyroid cancers - Disabled World - 2019/08/13
• Local UK Councils Disabled Facilities Grant Spending - Freedom of Information Requests submitted on behalf of A Wood Idea have revealed that UK council funding through Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) is at a 10-year high - Autumn Wiberg - 2019/08/06
• Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will Transform Japan - Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will transform Japanese society and significantly raise awareness of and advance Sustainable Development Goals according to IPC Chief Marketing and Communications Officer Craig Spence - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) - 2019/08/03
• Record Live Sports Broadcasts for Tokyo 2020 Paralympics - IPC announces a record 21 disciplines from 19 sports will be broadcast live from the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) - 2019/07/22
• HealthPedal: Pedal Powered Mobility and Fitness Wheelchair Device - HealthPedal is an indoor and outdoor pedal powered wheelchair that can be used for mobility, freedom, fitness, and strength building - HealthPedal - 2019/07/19
• Unpopular Truth Regarding Biases Toward Disabled - The unpopular truth about biases toward people with disabilities by Caroline Brooks and William Chopik at Michigan State University - Michigan State University - 2019/07/19
• Federal Accessibility Legislation in Canada Now Operational - Accessible Canada Act establishes framework to create a barrier-free Canada through proactive identification, removal and prevention of accessibility barriers - Employment and Social Development Canada - 2019/07/12