World Disability News Coverage
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Wednesday, 3rd June 2020
Synopsis and Key Points:
Coverage, breaking stories, and regularly updated current disability news with a prime focus on important world issues concerning disabilities and those with disability.
Disabled World News features disability items of interest including community support programs, disability sports news and cultural happenings, along with informative issues of medical concerns, carer fact sheets and related information. We also provide relevant information concerning new and changes to accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, and present some of the latest available clinical trials, medical research findings, and discovery papers and publications.
Submit Disability News:
If you know of an interesting disability related news story, event, assistive product release or update, or an informative publication that you consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, then please see the Disabled World contact details and submission guidelines page for further information on news, reviews and publications submission.
Latest Disability News and Updates
- 1 - Using Uncertainty Reduction Theory to Help Students Deal with Stress and Anxiety and Improve Their Overall Classroom Performance - Uncertainty reduction theory assumes uncertainty in new situations makes communication difficult; uncertainty can create frustration and reduced satisfaction; reducing uncertainty can alleviate these negative feelings : Kristin Basinger, Tracy Crawford, Lauren Critchley, and Jennifer Romano, Full Time Faculty, University of Phoenix (2020/08/06)
- 2 - Smart Mouthware: Control Phone or Computer Using Tongue - Smart Mouthware Computer Mouse is a touchpad built into an orthodontic retainer that allows users to move the cursor by moving their tongue across the roof of the mouth : JJ Moritz, President, Sapien LLC (2020/08/02)
- 3 - DOJ Settlement with Bank of America to Resolve Claims of Disability Discrimination and Compensate Victims - Complaint alleges that the Bank of America refused to issue mortgages to individuals who are under guardianships : U.S. Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs (2020/07/31)
- 4 - BafA Stimulates Production of New Blood Vessels - Study provides insight about BafA protein that may be further used in regenerative medicine for replacing or regenerating lost or damaged parts of the body : Fujita Health University, Japan (2020/07/22)
- 5 - Nearly 50% of Seniors Go Without Essentials During Pandemic - Survey to learn the financial impact of the coronavirus on older Americans indicates almost half of retirees say they have gone without essential items : The Senior Citizens League (2020/07/22)
- 6 - COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games - The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Governing Board discuss impact of COVID-19 pandemic across the Paralympic Movement, including the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/07/11)
- 7 - Towards a Disability-Smart World: Strategies for Global Disability Inclusion - Towards a Disability-Smart World: Developing a global disability inclusion strategy study draws on evidence and case studies from organisations including Shell, Unilever, HSBC, Accenture and Microsoft : Business Disability Forum (2020/07/08)
- 8 - Call for Immediate Adoption of Wearing Face Masks and Coverings - Cloth face coverings and homemade masks made with the correct material effective in reducing spread of COVID-19 for the wearer and surrounding people : Oxford University (2020/07/07)
- 9 - ADA and COVID-19 Fraudulent Face Mask Flyers - U.S. Department Of Justice warns of inaccurate flyers and postings regarding the use of face masks and The Americans With Disabilities Act : USDOJ-Office of Public Affairs (2020/07/01)
- 10 - Disabled Vets Receive Free Lifetime Access to U.S. National Parks - U.S. Senate passes S.327 Wounded Veterans Recreation Act allowing all veterans with service-connected disabilities free lifetime entry to US national parks and federal land : United States Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs (2020/06/26)
- 11 - BigBoxPlay: Fun Modular STEM Toys for Children - BigBoxPlay STEM play system focuses on physical free play, tactile/multi-sensory learning, creativity and imagination for children 2-8 years old and is based on kids love of building forts from cardboard boxes : BigBoxPlay - Disabled World (2020/06/18)
- 12 - Lifelong Housing and Job Opportunities for Those with Autism and Neuro-Diversities - Neuro Diverse Living a 501(c)3 nonprofit to develop lifelong housing and job opportunities for those with autism and other neuro-diversities : Neuro Diverse Living (2020/06/17)
- 13 - Legal Cannabis Set to Grow Scientific R&D - What legal Cannabis in Canada means for Science showcases research demonstrating how industry developments are expected to promote growth over 50% : Delta Scientific (2020/06/14)
- 14 - 656 Down's Syndrome Abortions in 2019 - Department of Health and Social Care 2019 abortion statistics show 656 abortions where a baby had Down's syndrome. Under current law, abortion is allowed up to birth if a baby has a disability including Down's syndrome : Don't Screen Us Out (2020/06/12)
- 15 - Rare Diseases List and Definitions - Information includes a list of rare diseases and the definition of the term orphan disease, which is sometimes used as a synonym for rare disease : Disabled World (2020/06/09)
- 16 - List of Currently Incurable Diseases - Listing of diseases considered to be incurable including disorders of both infectious and non-infectious, neoplastic, autoimmune, genetic, or metabolic that have no known current cure : Disabled World (2020/06/07)
- 17 - Human Diseases and Disorders Acronyms - List of acronyms, abbreviations, and initials that relate to human diseases and includes both infectious and non-infectious diseases and medical disorders. : Disabled World (2020/06/06)
- 18 - eSight and CNIB Foundation Scholarship for Students with Sight Loss - The scholarship will award five students living with sight loss, with eSight eyewear to help significantly enhance their vision making it easier to achieve their academic goals : eSight and CNIB Foundation (2020/06/03)
- 19 - Still Taking it On The Chin: UK'S Continuing Obsession With Herd Immunity - Whether the plan was always to allow the disease to spread uncontrolled through UK population or not, the UK's approach was distinctly out-of-sync with the rest of Europe : Paul Dodenhoff (2020/05/29)
- 20 - Lower Out of Pocket Insulin Costs for U.S. Medicare Seniors - Across America, 88 Part D Sponsors applied to the Part D Senior Savings Model to offer enhanced plans with a maximum $35 copay for a broad set of insulins beginning in 2021 : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (2020/05/26)
- 21 - In Service : U.S. Memorial Day 2020 - 25th May, 2020 is Memorial Day in America, an occurrence observed annually on the last Monday of May, set aside to honor and remember those who have died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces : Tsara Shelton (2020/05/25)
- 22 - During Pandemic, Disabled Activists Fight a Two-Front War for Their Lives - Op-ed opinion piece looks at critical struggle in Washington and the states to keep seniors and disabled in their homes and not nursing homes that are proving to be dangerous in this new era : Op-ed by Abe Munder (2020/05/24)
- 23 - OpenPandemics COVID-19 World Community Grid Project - During idle times your computer can run COVID-19 experiments to help predict effectiveness of chemical compounds in inhibiting functions of viral proteins as a possible treatment for Coronavirus : Disabled World (2020/05/23)
- 24 - Scott Robertson - H.O.W. (Hell On Wheels) - Signs Agreement with Mirror Image Entertainment Inc. - Scott Robertson, professionally known as H.O.W. (Hell on Wheels), signs recording artist agreement with Atlanta Georgia based record company Mirror Image Entertainment Inc. : Da Godfather of Crunk (2020/05/22)
- 25 - ILCSC Provides Essential Services to Persons with Disabilities During Covid-19 Pandemic Emergency - Persons with disabilities, including youth, older adults and veterans, are benefitting from the information ILCSC is providing for emergency resources : ILCSC (2020/05/20)
- 26 - Cell Pores Discovery: Hope for Millions of Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Patients - Scientists discover new treatment to dramatically reduce swelling after brain and spinal cord injuries, offering hope to 75 million victims worldwide each year : Aston University (2020/05/17)
- 27 - Lime Connect 2020 Pathways Scholarship for High School Seniors with Disabilities - Recipients of the Lime Connect Pathways Scholarship each receive $1,000 in support of their studies at a 4 year university or college in the U.S. or Canada : Lime Connect (2020/05/17)
- 28 - Interact Artists Online Exhibition to Raise Money for Disability Visibility - Interact Center for Visual & Performing Arts presents We Are Not Disposable online exhibition by Interact artists to raise money for disability visibility during coronavirus pandemic : Interact Center for Visual & Performing Arts (2020/05/15)
- 29 - Raising the Bar on Classroom Feedback Techniques for All Learners - Elizabeth Barker and Kristin Basinger from The University of Phoenix paper titled Raising the Bar on Classroom Feedback Techniques for All Learners : Elizabeth Barker and Kristin Basinger (2020/05/14)
- 30 - Learning to Fly a Paramotor in a Wheelchair - Thanks to Mike's incredible determination, the awesome Paramotor community and our epic students, Mike is now a fully qualified Paramotor pilot : Paramotor Training (2020/05/13)
- 31 - No COLA Likely For 2021 Social Security Benefits Lose 30% of Buying Power Since 2000 - Latest U.S. Social Security Loss of Buying Power study by The Senior Citizens League shows Social Security benefits have lost 30 percent of buying power since 2000 : The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) (2020/05/12)
- 32 - COVID-19 Recession Hits Workers with Disability Harder - nTIDE Report featuring Disability Rights Louisiana's Financial Access Inclusion and Resources Program for formerly incarcerated individuals with disabilities : Kessler Foundation (2020/05/10)
- 33 - Largest Analysis Reveals Risk Factors for COVID-19 Death - Risk factors for COVID-19 causes of death by analyzing NHS health data from 17.4M UK adults revealed in the largest analysis of Coronavirus patient records to date : Oxford University (2020/05/09)
- 34 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization - Disabled Sports USA and Adaptive Sports USA join forces to become Move United, the nation's leading community-based adaptive sports organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 35 - Can School Districts Carve Out a Placement from the IDEA's Stay-Put Provision? - Arguably a stay put carve out is not enforceable because it violates the IDEA's public policy of protecting the continuity of disabled students' education : David Greco : RMO LLP (2020/05/01)
- 36 - 2nd Round of Changes to Support Healthcare system During COVID-19 Pandemic - President Trump administration issues second round of sweeping changes to support U.S. healthcare system during COVID-19 pandemic : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (2020/04/30)
- 37 - Serving the Under-served : Health for Everyone App - Communities with less literacy, disabled world, etc., shall benefit even more as such segments will have access to information now, higher awareness and more inclusive : Health for Everyone (2020/04/30)
- 38 - Namibia: Leave No One Behind (LNOB) Creating Access for All - Leave No One Behind (LNOB) a disability accessibility standard for all public buildings and infrastructure has been created in Namibia : Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) (2020/04/30)
- 39 - Action to Support Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities during the COVID-19 Pandemic - $24 Million in temporary wage increases for direct support professionals in group homes and supervised apartments; new guidance for hospitals on families and loved ones : NJ Department of Human Services (2020/04/30)
- 40 - Your Computer Can Help Find Potential COVID-19 Treatments - Scripps Research OpenPandemics COVID-19 project uses home computers to virtually screen chemical compounds that might help fight COVID-19 : IBM (2020/04/29)
- 41 - Live Seated Yoga Classes for Seniors and Disabled - Disabled founders of Wavelength VR launch live seated yoga classes for vulnerable people in self-isolation during covid-19 : Adaptive Yoga Network (2020/04/27)
- 42 - Australian Delivering Skills for Today and Tomorrow Scholarships Program - Australians will be supported to participate in vocational education and training programs through Scholarships Program - Young Australians Delivering Skills for Today and Tomorrow : Disabled World (2020/04/27)
- 43 - A Very British Lockdown - Confused and Chaotic - Paul Dodenhoff from the United Kingdom writes on COVID-19 Coronavirus in the U.K. as well as the current British lockdown and social isolation and lack thereof : Paul Dodenhoff (2020/04/26)
- 44 - COVID-19 Telehealth Toolkit to Accelerate State Use of Telehealth in Medicaid and CHIP - This toolkit provides U.S. states with issues to consider as they evaluate the need to expand their telehealth capabilities and coverage policies : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (2020/04/23)
- 45 - Initiative by Afford Promises All Australians Access to Disability Supports in Response to COVID-19 - Australian Foundation for Disability (AFFORD) has launched a new initiative called Afford Care, to combat gaps in disability supports caused by COVID-19 disruptions : The Australian Foundation for Disability (Afford) (2020/04/17)
- 46 - Invitation for People with Disabilities to Meet and Share COVID-19 Experiences on Zoom - Disability organization RespectAbility is inviting Americans with disabilities to share experiences and organize online in a series of Zoom gatherings : RespectAbility (2020/04/16)
- 47 - COVID-19: Just 1 Infected Person Could Trigger Round 2 - Relaxing social distancing rules before a vaccine or herd immunity is achieved means it will possibly take just one person infected with COVID-19 to restart another worldwide pandemic : Disabled World (2020/04/12)
- 48 - The Brain Broad Talks about Lust: Helping Teenagers with Autism through Puberty and Beyond - In her latest Autism ABCs series Dr. Lynette Louise, aka The Brain Broad, presents her latest video for the letter L which, she decides, stands for Lust : Tsara Shelton (2020/04/11)
- 49 - Millions of Americans with Disabilities Cannot Get Food During Pandemic - Many disabled are vulnerable to COVID-19 because of health conditions, people who are blind and those who use wheelchairs are finding it impossible to maintain social distance : RespectAbility (2020/04/11)
- 50 - Autism ABCs and Fix it in Five: Free from The Brain Broad for April and Beyond - Dr. Lynette Louise releases season one (Uganda) of her international autism docu-series Fix it in Five with Lynette Louise aka The Brain Broad, free for viewing on YouTube : Dr. Lynette Louise (The Brain Broad) (2020/04/09)
Editorials and Opinions
- Editorials - Editorial views on assorted articles and current affairs news stories relating to disability and health.
- Political - World political editorial views on current affairs related to disability and health worldwide.
- Technology - Editorial views on news related to health and disability technology topics in the news.
- Older News Articles - List of articles, fact sheets, and documents from the Disabled World Disability News category.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.