World Disability News Coverage
Updated/Revised Date: 2021-02-27
Author : Disabled World - Contact: Disabled-World.com
🛈 Synopsis : Coverage, breaking stories, and regularly updated current disability news with a prime focus on important world issues concerning disabilities and those with disability.
Disabled World News features disability items of interest including community support programs, disability sports news and cultural happenings, along with informative issues of medical concerns, carer fact sheets and related information. We also provide relevant information concerning new and changes to accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, and present some of the latest available clinical trials, medical research findings, and discovery papers and publications.
Submit Disability News:
If you know of an interesting disability related news story, event, assistive product release or update, or an informative publication that you consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, then please see the Disabled World contact details and submission guidelines page for further information on news, reviews and publications submission.
Latest Disability News and Updates
- 1 - COVID-19 Vaccine (in)equity No Right of Way for EU Disabled - National vaccination strategies do not have clear-cut criteria for prioritising persons with disabilities (PWDs) to receive the COVID-19 vaccine : European Economic and Social Committee (2021/04/08)
- 2 - Pinwheels and Prevention (Childhood Abuse Prevention Month) - Article by Tsara Shelton looks at the month of April being Child Abuse Prevention, Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention as well as Autism Acceptance Month : Tsara Shelton (2021/04/08)
- 3 - Hidden Grief by Kathleen M. Cleaver - Article by Kathleen M. Cleaver, the parent of Tricia who has multiple disabilities caused by hypoxia during the birth process : Kathleen M. Cleaver (2021/04/08)
- 4 - Medical Triage Explanation and Tag Color Chart - Chart and information concerning medical triage, the process of determining priority of patient treatment by severity of condition or likelihood of recovery with and without treatment : Disabled World (2021/04/06)
- 5 - Children with Disabilities Often Invisible, Not Heard and Not Counted - Mind the Gap research reveals children with disability are often invisible, as they are overlooked in many child and disability focused laws, policies and programs : Ombudsman for Children's Office (2021/03/30)
- 6 - U.K. Disability Charities to Benefit from Government Funding - The money will fund services to provide practical support for disabled children, set up and expand helplines, and provide mental health and well-being support : Department of Health and Social Care (2021/03/30)
- 7 - Relief for Student Loan Borrowers with Disabilities During COVID-19 - The United States Department of Education announces relief for student loan borrowers with total and permanent disabilities during the COVID-19 emergency : U.S. Department of Education (2021/03/29)
- 8 - Update to Learning Disability Mortality Review - NHS - National Health Service (NHS) announces autistic people will now be specifically included in an improved and expanded LeDeR program : National Health Service (NHS) (2021/03/27)
- 9 - WILD GOOSE Online Art Exhibition - WILD GOOSE is an online exhibition exploring landscape painting through the parallel practices of two artists - Carl Clark and Jack Arthur Wood : Interact Center for the Visual and Performing Arts (2021/03/27)
- 10 - Of Women and Salt by Gabriela Garcia - Book review by Tsara Shelton of the novel Of Women and Salt written by Gabriela Garcia : Tsara Shelton (2021/03/26)
- 11 - Scaling Up European Action on Disability Policies - Commissioner for Equality, the EESC welcomes new EU Disability Rights Strategy for the next decade, a key moment for the rights of persons with disabilities : European Economic and Social Committee (2021/03/26)
- 12 - Social Security Outreach to Vulnerable During COVID-19 - U.S. Social Security Administration outreach to vulnerable populations during COVID-19 Pandemic - Advocates and community organizations can help connect people : U.S. Social Security Administration (2021/03/25)
- 13 - Anthroposophic Medicine: The Art of Healing Short Film Series - Rooted in the relationship series of short films on The Art of Healing gives insight into Anthroposophic Medicine : Goetheanum (2021/03/24)
- 14 - New COVID-19 Variants and Mutations List - Information and list of Variant of Concern (VOC) and Variant Under Investigation (VUI) mutations of COVID-19 coronavirus (2019-nCoV) : Disabled World (2021/03/14)
- 15 - Best Video Games for Visually-Impaired Gamers - In-depth look at top rated and most accessible video and board games reveals how well the industry supports visually-impaired gamers : Lenstore (2021/03/13)
- 16 - Recite Me: Not for Profit Web Accessibility Solution - Recite Me is a cloud-based web accessibility assistive toolbar solution that allows website visitors to customize a site in a way that works best for them : Recite Me (2021/03/09)
- 17 - Walker-Warburg Syndrome Awareness Ribbon - The Walker-Warburg Syndrome Awareness Ribbon features light blue and navy blue colors, representing hydrocephalus, brain malformations and diseases : Christine McCollum (2021/03/05)
- 18 - Everybody Eats - A Mom and Daughter Food Tale - An article by Tsara Shelton in regards to an invitation she and her mom received to write for Eat, Darling, Eat, a website that publishes stories submitted by women around the world : Tsara Shelton (2021/03/05)
- 19 - The Relationship of Food and Health : Jasmin Peschke - Jasmin Peschke finds it essential to look beyond the ingredients and understand food quality as an expression of the relationship with the lifeworld : Jasmin Peschke (2021/02/26)
- 20 - Providing U.S. Disabled Veterans Both Disability and Retired Payments - The Major Richard Star Act would repeal current unfair offset, allowing disabled veterans to receive both retirement pay and disability compensation : United States Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs (2021/02/23)
- 21 - Invisible Illnesses: Underlying Medical Problems - Invisible disability expert Dr. Diana Driscoll discusses Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), vagus nerve disorders, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), and similar invisible illnesses : Dr. Diana Driscoll (2021/02/23)
- 22 - Growing Evidence That Mentally Ill Youths Become Less Healthy Adults - Studies suggest mental health struggles in early life can lead to poorer physical health and advanced aging in adulthood : Duke University (2021/02/17)
- 23 - European Space Agency Seeks Parastronaut Recruit - ESA looking to recruit first disabled parastronaut for possible space missions to the International Space Station (ISS), The Moon and Mars : European Space Agency (ESA) (2021/02/17)
- 24 - Amtrak Compensates People with Disabilities Facing Station Barriers - U.S. railway company Amtrak starts compensating disabled experiencing inaccessibility at rail stations : National Disability Rights Network (NDRN) (2021/02/05)
- 25 - Hank and Emma Faye to Teach Children Sign Language, Inclusivity, and Kindness - Deaf host debuts a new video series, Hank and Emma Faye, on KLRN PBS to teach children sign language, inclusivity, and kindness : Hank and Emma Faye (2021/01/31)
- 26 - 'Making Sense' Film Stars People with Disabilities Representing Primary Senses - Independent feature film Making Sense starring people with disabilities representing five primary senses to premiere at Boston Sci-Fi Film Festival : Making Sense Film (2021/01/31)
- 27 - Love, Lies, and Language Barriers - Tsara Shelton writes on some of the barriers encountered having moved to the province of Quebec, Canada : Tsara Shelton (2021/01/29)
- 28 - U.S. Seniors Agree on Ways to Strengthen Social Security and Medicare - Older Americans agree on ways to strengthen Social Security and Medicare, according to surveys by The Senior Citizens League : The Senior Citizens League (2021/01/26)
- 29 - Free Online Training and Wellbeing Workshops for Deaf and Disabled Artists Affected by Pandemic - Disabled led theatre company Graeae announces Beyond: Develop FREE online wellbeing and Creative Professional Development workshops for Deaf and disabled artists affected by the COVID-19 : Graeae (2021/01/21)
- 30 - Phoenix Instinct AI Powered Smart Wheelchair Wins Toyota Mobility Challenge - Toyota Mobility Foundation, in partnership with Nesta Challenges, announces the winner of $4 million global Mobility Unlimited Challenge in virtual event : Toyota Mobility Foundation (2021/01/20)
- 31 - Cancer Care Adaptations and Innovations Through COVID-19 - On World Cancer Day UICC shines a light on responses to COVID-19 pandemic by world cancer organization's and individuals struggling to maintain progress in cancer care : Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) (2021/01/20)
- 32 - World Cancer Day Awareness - Outline of World Cancer Day and associated events focused on cancer awareness which takes place each year on the 4th February : Disabled World (2021/01/19)
- 33 - Pakistan Will Fail To Reach Sustainable Development Goals Without Focus on Disability - In Pakistan people with disabilities often have higher health care needs, but may find it difficult to access services : Cynthia Sohail (2021/01/12)
- 34 - What 2020 Taught Me About Disability in the UK - Paul Dodenhoff reports on how the current COVID-19 global pandemic has further highlighted people with disabilities are still actively discriminated against : Paul Dodenhoff (2021/01/04)
- 35 - Why We Revolt: A Patient Revolution for Careful and Kind Care - Book review of Why We Revolt: A Patient Revolution for Careful and Kind Care written by Victor Montori : Tsara Shelton (2020/12/28)
- 36 - Stop Therapy Doll Shaming - A Personal Plea - A personal plea by Thecla, a survivor of childhood abuse and bullying, to stop therapy doll shaming and discrimination : Thecla (2020/12/25)
- 37 - Metolazone Could be Key to Increased Lifespan - Existing anti-hypertension drug Metolazone can activate mitochondrial stress response that prolongs lifespan shows potential for re-purposing into anti-aging pharmaceutical drugs for humans : Osaka City University, Japan (2020/12/24)
- 38 - U.S. Federal Legislation Prevents Organ Transplant Discrimination - Charlotte Woodward Organ Transplant Discrimination Prevention Act prohibits discrimination against individuals based on their disability when seeking an organ transplant : National Down Syndrome Society (2020/12/24)
- 39 - LED Lights Found to Kill Coronavirus Quickly and Cheaply - The research has both commercial and societal implications, given the possibility of using LED bulbs in all areas of our lives, safely and quickly : Tel Aviv University (TAU) (2020/12/22)
- 40 - Santiago 2023 Parapan American Games - Facts and information regarding The Santiago 2023 Parapan American Games sporting program an international multi-sport event for athletes with disabilities : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/12/16)
- 41 - Ireland: Persons with Disabilities Health Survey Results - Information, including facts and statistics regarding the results of the Irish Health Survey 2019, Disabilities : CSO: Central Statistics Office (2020/12/16)
- 42 - New Scotland Child Disability Payment - The Scottish Child Disability Payment pilot areas have been announced and initial applications are to be taken in three local authority areas : Scottish Government (2020/12/10)
- 43 - Mother's Empathy and Epigenetic Changes to Oxytocin Gene Link - Research article regarding study that shed light on inter-connectedness among Oxytocin gene, brain structure, and maternal empathy : University of Fukui, Japan (2020/12/09)
- 44 - Voiceitt Makes Alexa Accessible for Disabled - Voiceitt announces people with speech impairments will now be able to use the Voiceitt mobile app to access and interact with Amazon Alexa : Voiceitt (2020/12/05)
- 45 - Emotional, Social, and Developmental Benefits of Gaming - Expert psychologists and doctors reveal the benefits of gaming, especially during the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic : Currys PC World (2020/12/04)
- 46 - The Brain Broad's COVID-19 Response - A few of the changes Dr. Lynette Louise, The Brain Broad, made due COVID restrictions : Tsara Shelton (2020/12/03)
- 47 - Diversity in the TV Industry - How accurately minorities are represented in TV Industry jobs compared with presence in wider UK workforce and national population : Currys PC World (2020/11/25)
- 48 - Disability Bias in AI Hiring Tools and Legal Protection - Artificial Intelligence (AI) bias in job hiring and recruiting causes concern as new form of employment discrimination : Juyoun Han and Patrick Lin (2020/11/25)
- 49 - 3dRudder Foot Mouse - The 3dRudder Foot Mouse is designed for people who are unable to use a standard mouse using hands, but still need the use of a mouse : Stanislas Chesnais (2020/11/24)
- 50 - U.S. FBI Hate Crime Statistics 2019 - FBI hate crime data submitted by 15,588 law enforcement agencies provide information about offenses, victims, offenders, and locations of hate crimes : FBI National Press Office (2020/11/17)
Editorials and Opinions
- Editorials - Editorial views on assorted articles and current affairs news stories relating to disability and health.
- Political - World political editorial views on current affairs related to disability and health worldwide.
- Technology - Editorial views on news related to health and disability technology topics in the news.
- Older News Articles - List of articles, fact sheets, and documents from the Disabled World Disability News category.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: Disabled World. Revised Publication Date: 2021-02-27. Title: World Disability News Coverage, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/news/>Disability News</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-12, from https://www.disabled-world.com/news/ - Reference: DW#87-17.172.98-6c.