World Disability News Coverage
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Wednesday, 3rd June 2020
Synopsis and Key Points:
Coverage, breaking stories, and regularly updated current disability news with a prime focus on important world issues concerning disabilities and those with disability.
Disabled World News features disability items of interest including community support programs, disability sports news and cultural happenings, along with informative issues of medical concerns, carer fact sheets and related information. We also provide relevant information concerning new and changes to accessibility laws and legislation, disability rights issues, and present some of the latest available clinical trials, medical research findings, and discovery papers and publications.
Submit Disability News:
If you know of an interesting disability related news story, event, assistive product release or update, or an informative publication that you consider will be of interest to persons with disabilities, then please see the Disabled World contact details and submission guidelines page for further information on news, reviews and publications submission.
Latest Disability News and Updates
- 1 - Diversity in the TV Industry - How accurately minorities are represented in TV Industry jobs compared with presence in wider UK workforce and national population : Greenlight Digital (2020/11/25)
- 2 - Disability Bias in AI Hiring Tools and Legal Protection - Artificial Intelligence (AI) bias in job hiring and recruiting causes concern as new form of employment discrimination : Juyoun Han and Patrick Lin (2020/11/25)
- 3 - 3dRudder Foot Mouse - The 3dRudder Foot Mouse is designed for people who are unable to use a standard mouse using hands, but still need the use of a mouse : Stanislas Chesnais (2020/11/24)
- 4 - U.S. FBI Hate Crime Statistics 2019 - FBI hate crime data submitted by 15,588 law enforcement agencies provide information about offenses, victims, offenders, and locations of hate crimes : FBI National Press Office (2020/11/17)
- 5 - Gona Rubian Ranesa: Reynols New Studio Album - New music studio album Gona Rubian Ranesa by Reynols, one of the longest running inclusive rock bands led by Down Syndrome drummer/singer Miguel Tomasín : Daphnia Press (2020/11/11)
- 6 - Tidal Basin Revitalization - Disability Community Voice Vital - FDR Memorial Legacy Committee mission to ensure disability community efforts at FDR Memorial in Washington DC become part of the Memorial's educational materials, visitor information, and collective memory. : FDR Memorial Legacy Committee (FDR Committee) (2020/10/29)
- 7 - Doctors Telling Patients Get Flu Shot this Season - Majority of U.S. doctors (92%) tell patients to get the flu shot and majority of physicians and doctors worldwide believe second wave of COVID-19 likely : Sermo (2020/10/25)
- 8 - Hearing Aids Market Worth $7 Billion by 2025 - CAGR: 3.9% - Report published by Polaris Market Research reveals the global hearing aids market is anticipated to reach USD 6,992.1 million by 2025 : Polaris Market Research (2020/10/22)
- 9 - 1.3% COLA Benefit Increase for 2021 | Social Security - U.S. Social Security Administration announces Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for Americans to increase 1.3 percent in 2021 : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/10/13)
- 10 - Free Virtual Acting Courses For People With Physical Disability - Angel City Sports presents virtual acting workshops with free 8 week course designed for those with physical disabilities : Angel City Sports (2020/10/08)
- 11 - United Through Sports 2020 World Virtual Youth Festival : IPC - IPC and multiple sport organisations have partnered with United Through Sports to launch 2020 World Virtual Youth Festival to get youngsters around the world active during COVID-19 pandemic : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/10/07)
- 12 - Proposed Changes to Medical Assistance in Dying Legislation : Canadian Government - Medical Assistance In Dying (MAID) is a complex and deeply personal issue. Article outlines reintroduced proposed changes to Canada's Criminal Code provisions on MAID : Department of Justice Canada (2020/10/07)
- 13 - Live Well By Eating Green Foods - Naturopaths have recommended the use of green foods to enhance the treatment of diseases such asthma candida lupus and HIV : Disabled World (2020/10/01)
- 14 - Medicare Health and Drug Plans - Are You Paying Too Much? - Chances are high that most retirees are paying too much for their Medicare health and drug plans, says The Senior Citizens League (TSCL). : The Senior Citizens League (2020/09/30)
- 15 - Public Sector EU Websites Must Now Be Accessible - All European public-sector bodies now legally obliged to have accessible websites for all members of the public including persons with disabilities : European Disability Forum (EDF) (2020/09/25)
- 16 - NCPD ID Cards for Persons with Disabilities and Disability App - National Commission for Persons with Disabilities proposes mobile app for persons with disabilities and their families in addition to creation of an ID Card for persons with disabilities : Matt Maura : Bahamas Information Services (2020/09/24)
- 17 - Event with Paralympians Tatyana McFadden, John Boie and Rose Hollermann - Digital Day Dream event on Wednesday, September 23 at 7:00pm EST with Paralympians McFadden, Boie, and Hollermann inspires kids with life-altering conditions : Dream On 3 (2020/09/20)
- 18 - Traipsin Global On Wheels Podcast and Platform - Traipsin Global On Wheels (TGOW) provides a platform and podcast to inform and advance disability rights and advocacy work in the area of climate change, travel, and fitness : Disabled World (2020/09/18)
- 19 - Beijing 2022 and Paris 2024 Paralympic Games Media Rights - International Paralympic Committee (IPC) launches requests for information for Beijing 2022 and Paris 2024 Paralympic Games media rights in Europe : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/09/17)
- 20 - 2021 COLA: 1.3% Predicted - U.S. Social Security recipients likely to get 1.3 percent cost of living adjustment (COLA) in 2021 - the 2nd lowest ever paid, according to The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) : The Senior Citizens League (2020/09/16)
- 21 - SMA1 Infant Life-Saving Zolgensma Therapy Unavailable in Canada - Ground-breaking new drug Zolgensma that could stop progression of Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1 (SMA1) is the most expensive medication in the world : John and Amanda Hanki (2020/09/15)
- 22 - Saved and Remade Series Seeking Applications from Disabled Community - Saved and Remade, a new series for BBC Two with presenter Sabrina Grant, is looking for people with disabilities to take part on the show : Red Sky Productions (2020/09/14)
- 23 - Vichay Phommachan: Deaf Artist, Actor, Model, and Dancer - Biography of Vichay Phommachan an 35 years old deaf artist, actor, model, and dancer born in Thailand and raised in Tecumseh, Nebraska : Disabled World (2020/09/12)
- 24 - IWBF's Non-compliance with 2015 IPC Athlete Classification Code - An open letter to interested stakeholders regarding the IWBF's non-compliance with the 2015 IPC Athlete Classification Code : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/09/04)
- 25 - How to Create God Mode in Microsoft Windows 10 - Instructions to create Windows 10 God Mode folder to provide convenient and accessible access to many of your Microsoft PC computer settings all in the one place : Disabled World (2020/09/04)
- 26 - Online Social Security Video Hearings Due to COVID-19 - U.S. Department of Social Security announces an two way online video service for people awaiting a hearing decision : U.S. Social Security Administration (2020/09/04)
- 27 - Obesity, Smoking, Physical Labor May Explain Disability Disparities - University of Michigan (U-M) study reveals excess body mass, smoking, and manual labor explain a large proportion of disability disparities in the U.S. : The Gerontological Society of America (GSA) (2020/09/01)
- 28 - Channel 4 Secures Paris 2024 Paralympic Games Broadcast Rights - Channel 4 awarded UK television rights to the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games including multi-platform broadcast rights within the UK : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/08/28)
- 29 - Clip-Knix Front Fastening Underwear - Clip-Knix are attractive, front-fastening underwear that can be put on easily without the need to bend or balance on one leg : Clip-Knix (2020/08/25)
- 30 - Campus Maps for Students with Visual Impairments - SAS launches free resources to create and share non-visual digital maps to help open up the higher education experience : SAS (2020/08/24)
- 31 - Using Uncertainty Reduction Theory to Help Students Deal with Stress and Anxiety and Improve Their Overall Classroom Performance - Uncertainty reduction theory assumes uncertainty in new situations makes communication difficult; uncertainty can create frustration and reduced satisfaction; reducing uncertainty can alleviate these negative feelings : Kristin Basinger, Tracy Crawford, Lauren Critchley, and Jennifer Romano, Full Time Faculty, University of Phoenix (2020/08/06)
- 32 - Smart Mouthware: Control Phone or Computer Using Tongue - Smart Mouthware Computer Mouse is a touchpad built into an orthodontic retainer that allows users to move the cursor by moving their tongue across the roof of the mouth : JJ Moritz, President, Sapien LLC (2020/08/02)
- 33 - DOJ Settlement with Bank of America to Resolve Claims of Disability Discrimination and Compensate Victims - Complaint alleges that the Bank of America refused to issue mortgages to individuals who are under guardianships : U.S. Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs (2020/07/31)
- 34 - BafA Stimulates Production of New Blood Vessels - Study provides insight about BafA protein that may be further used in regenerative medicine for replacing or regenerating lost or damaged parts of the body : Fujita Health University, Japan (2020/07/22)
- 35 - Nearly 50% of Seniors Go Without Essentials During Pandemic - Survey to learn the financial impact of the coronavirus on older Americans indicates almost half of retirees say they have gone without essential items : The Senior Citizens League (2020/07/22)
- 36 - COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games - The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Governing Board discuss impact of COVID-19 pandemic across the Paralympic Movement, including the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2020/07/11)
- 37 - Towards a Disability-Smart World: Strategies for Global Disability Inclusion - Towards a Disability-Smart World: Developing a global disability inclusion strategy study draws on evidence and case studies from organisations including Shell, Unilever, HSBC, Accenture and Microsoft : Business Disability Forum (2020/07/08)
- 38 - Call for Immediate Adoption of Wearing Face Masks and Coverings - Cloth face coverings and homemade masks made with the correct material effective in reducing spread of COVID-19 for the wearer and surrounding people : Oxford University (2020/07/07)
- 39 - ADA and COVID-19 Fraudulent Face Mask Flyers - U.S. Department Of Justice warns of inaccurate flyers and postings regarding the use of face masks and The Americans With Disabilities Act : USDOJ-Office of Public Affairs (2020/07/01)
- 40 - Disabled Vets Receive Free Lifetime Access to U.S. National Parks - U.S. Senate passes S.327 Wounded Veterans Recreation Act allowing all veterans with service-connected disabilities free lifetime entry to US national parks and federal land : United States Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs (2020/06/26)
- 41 - BigBoxPlay: Fun Modular STEM Toys for Children - BigBoxPlay STEM play system focuses on physical free play, tactile/multi-sensory learning, creativity and imagination for children 2-8 years old and is based on kids love of building forts from cardboard boxes : BigBoxPlay - Disabled World (2020/06/18)
- 42 - Lifelong Housing and Job Opportunities for Those with Autism and Neuro-Diversities - Neuro Diverse Living a 501(c)3 nonprofit to develop lifelong housing and job opportunities for those with autism and other neuro-diversities : Neuro Diverse Living (2020/06/17)
- 43 - Legal Cannabis Set to Grow Scientific Research and Development - What legal Cannabis in Canada means for Science showcases research demonstrating how industry developments are expected to promote growth over 50% : Delta Scientific (2020/06/14)
- 44 - 656 Down's Syndrome Abortions in 2019 - Department of Health and Social Care 2019 abortion statistics show 656 abortions where a baby had Down's syndrome. Under current law, abortion is allowed up to birth if a baby has a disability including Down's syndrome : Don't Screen Us Out (2020/06/12)
- 45 - Rare Diseases List and Definitions - Information includes a list of rare diseases and the definition of the term orphan disease, which is sometimes used as a synonym for rare disease : Disabled World (2020/06/09)
- 46 - List of Currently Incurable Diseases - Listing of diseases considered to be incurable including disorders of both infectious and non-infectious, neoplastic, autoimmune, genetic, or metabolic that have no known current cure : Disabled World (2020/06/07)
- 47 - Human Diseases and Disorders Acronyms - List of acronyms, abbreviations, and initials that relate to human diseases and includes both infectious and non-infectious diseases and medical disorders. : Disabled World (2020/06/06)
- 48 - eSight and CNIB Foundation Scholarship for Students with Sight Loss - The scholarship will award five students living with sight loss, with eSight eyewear to help significantly enhance their vision making it easier to achieve their academic goals : eSight and CNIB Foundation (2020/06/03)
- 49 - Still Taking it On The Chin: UK'S Continuing Obsession With Herd Immunity - Whether the plan was always to allow the disease to spread uncontrolled through UK population or not, the UK's approach was distinctly out-of-sync with the rest of Europe : Paul Dodenhoff (2020/05/29)
- 50 - Lower Out of Pocket Insulin Costs for U.S. Medicare Seniors - Across America, 88 Part D Sponsors applied to the Part D Senior Savings Model to offer enhanced plans with a maximum $35 copay for a broad set of insulins beginning in 2021 : Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (2020/05/26)
Editorials and Opinions
- Editorials - Editorial views on assorted articles and current affairs news stories relating to disability and health.
- Political - World political editorial views on current affairs related to disability and health worldwide.
- Technology - Editorial views on news related to health and disability technology topics in the news.
- Older News Articles - List of articles, fact sheets, and documents from the Disabled World Disability News category.
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.