- Synopsis: Recent news stories and articles from North Carolina USA including medical related news and coming events.
News, and information of interest for persons with disabilities residing in or visiting the State of North Carolina.
Social Security offers an online disability application you can complete at your convenience.
Apply from the comfort of your home or any location at a time most convenient for you. You do not need to drive to your local Social Security office or wait for an appointment with a Social Security representative.
When you file for Social Security disability in North Carolina, a state agency decides whether you are disabled, even though Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are federal programs.
On October 7, 2013, Disability Rights North Carolina released a new report on segregated employment and the payment of sub-minimum wages to people with disabilities.
Released during Disability Employment Awareness Month, the report titled "Sheltered Workshops and the Sub-minimum Wage in North Carolina: Incentives and Accountability" proposes practical steps to address the warehousing of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in settings that lack meaningful work opportunities.
North Carolina Disability Statistics:
- There are an estimated 1,336,000 people in North Carolina over the age of five who have a form of disability.
- Approximately 242,000 people, or 3.1% of the state's population, experience difficulties with performing activities of daily living such as dressing, bathing, or getting around inside of their homes.
- There are around 753,000 people in the state who have a form of work disability, and around 274,000 people with disabilities in North Carolina who are employed.
- Around 45,000 people with disabilities in the state are unemployed, while 426,000 are currently not in the workforce.
North Carolina Disability Resources:
The NCCDD (nccdd.org) has a list of general sources of disability information in North Carolina.
Latest North Carolina Publications
- NC Advocates for People with Disabilities Sought for Hefner Award
Outstanding north carolina advocates for people with disabilities are sought for 2012 Hefner award.
- Free Advocacy Training Program for North Carolinians with Developmental Disabilities and Families Seeks Participants
Free statewide program that develops leadership skills and trains advocates for people with disabilities to voice views and influence policymakers is seeking applicants.
- Leadership Training Program Wins Support of NC Council on Developmental Disabilities
North Carolina program to train future leaders of nonprofit organizations in the disability field has been extended.
- Money Follows the Person Makes A Child's Dream Come True
A child living with complex medical needs will be moving from her current placement back to her family home.
- RHA Howell Employment Resources for People with Disability
RHA Howell is a primary employment resource in North Carolina for people with disabilities.
Full List of North Carolina Documents (20 Items)