- Synopsis: Disability news stories and articles from Rhode Island including medical related press releases news and coming events.
Rhode Island Disability Resources
INSIGHT - Envision a world in which people are valued for who they are, not for what they see - www.in-sight.org
United Cerebral Palsy of Rhode Island
UCP Rhode Island has been supporting adults and children with disabilities living in Rhode Island since 1954 - www.ucp.org/ucp_local.cfm/141
The Corliss Institute, Inc.
A unique adult deaf community where everyone "hears" with their eyes and "speaks" with their hands - www.corliss.org/
Rhode Island ATAP
The Rhode Island Assistive Technology Access Partnership (ATAP) is designed as a statewide partnership of organizations, each with a targeted assistive technology focus, working together to improve access to and acquisition of assistive technology for individuals with disabilities - www.atap.ri.gov
(401 462 4444) provides information, referrals, and help getting started with programs and services for seniors, adults with disabilities, and their caregivers - adrc.ohhs.ri.gov/
Rhode Island Disability Law Center
Rhode Island Disability Law Center (RIDLC) provides free legal assistance to persons with disabilities - www.ridlc.org
Meeting Street is where infants, preschoolers and children of all ages and abilities receive individualized attention from highly trained, dedicated educators, therapists, and staff who work as a team, sharing strategies and identifying solutions to bring out the best in each and every child - www.meetingstreet.org
Rhode Island Disability Statistics:
- There are an estimated 155,000 people over the age of five who experience a form of disability in the state of Rhode Island.
- Approximately 25,000 people, or 2.6% of the state's population, experience difficulties with activities of daily living, to include bathing, dressing, or moving around inside of their homes.
- Around 87,000 people in Rhode Island have a form of work disability, while 31,000 people with disabilities in the state are employed.
- Approximately 5,000 people with disabilities in the state are unemployed, and 44,000 are currently not in the workforce.
- 2009 data indicates 4.2% of the population of Rhode Island are limited in their daily activities, an additional 7.8% have some other type of disability, and 88.0% have no reported disability.
Latest Rhode Island Publications
- DOJ Reaches Landmark Americans with Disabilities Act Settlement Agreement with Rhode Island
The Justice Department has entered into statewide settlement agreement that will resolve violations of Americans with Disabilities Act for approx 3,250 Rhode Islanders with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Compassion Supporters Help with Medical Cannabis Cultivation for Disabled
Fixed income Rhode Island residents and patients suffering from serious medical conditions get help cultivating their medical marijuana.
- Rhode Island Relay Mobile Captions Service(SM) for Residents With Hearing Loss
From May 1 individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing will be able to read captions on a mobile phone using Voice Carry Over (VCO) technology.
- Senate Passes Bill to Tighten Employee Classification Laws - Rhode Island
Increase government outreach and public awareness of new and current employment laws for businesses.
- 211 Rhode Island to Manage Aging & Disability Resource Center
United Way 2-1-1 in Rhode Island awarded 3 year grant to manage the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) known as THE POINT.
Full List of Rhode Island Documents (6 Items)