Trump Seeks to Slash Social Security Benefits for Disabled
- Publish Date: 2020/01/15
- Author: Arizona Democratic Party(i)
- Contact : azdem.org
Outline: Under proposed change the U.S. government would look more closely at whether certain disability insurance recipients still qualify as disabled after they have already been awarded benefits. President Trump has rolled out a new proposal that could slash Social Security benefits for people with disabilities. It's not the first time that Trump and Washington Republicans have floated reducing benefits or passing deep cuts to Social Security.
Trump seeks to slash Social Security Benefits for Americans with disabilities.
President Trump has kicked off the New Year with a proposal that threatens Social Security benefits - all but breaking his campaign promise to defend Social Security and putting thousands of Arizonans at risk.
President Trump has rolled out a new proposal1 that could slash Social Security benefits for people with disabilities.
Under Trump's proposed change, the government would "look more closely at whether certain disability insurance recipients still qualify as 'disabled' after they've already been awarded those benefits."
It's not the first time that Trump and Washington Republicans have floated reducing benefits or passing deep cuts to Social Security.
Trump repeatedly proposed billions of dollars in cuts to Social Security programs:
"And Mr. Trump proposed spending $26 billion less on Social Security programs, the federal retirement program, including a $10 billion cut to the Social Security Disability Insurance program, which provides benefits to disabled workers.2"
"President Trump's 2018 budget proposed $72.5 billion in cuts to SSDI and to Supplemental Security Income, another program for disabled people, over 10 years.3"
"Trump's budget calls for cutting Social Security disability benefits by nearly $ 70 billion over the next decade by encouraging and, in some cases, requiring people receiving the benefits to re-enter the workforce.4"
Arizonans at Risk
It is clear that Social Security is under threat from the Trump Administration, which puts thousands of Arizonans at risk.
According to AARP5, Social Security is the only source of income for about three in ten Arizonans age 65+. Social Security makes up 50 percent or more of the income for 61 percent of Arizonans age 65 and older.
"After forcing through their trillion-dollar tax cut for big donors and corporate interests, Republicans are once again pushing for cuts to Social Security - and specifically targeting people with disabilities," said Matt Grodsky, spokesman for the Arizona Democratic Party.
"Washington Republicans keep proving that they're only in it for their big donors and corporate backers, and that they have no problem with leaving Arizona's most vulnerable behind."
1 - https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-disability-benefits_n_5e14b935c5b6c7b859d17b97?ri18n=true
2 - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/us/politics/trump-budget.html
3 - https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/6/16735966/social-security-disability-insurance
4 - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/winners-losers-trumps-budget-proposal
5 - https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/surveys_statistics/general/2014/ssqf/Social-Security-2014-Arizona-Quick-Facts-AARP-res-gen.pdf
- 1 - Trump Seeks to Slash Social Security Benefits for Disabled | Arizona Democratic Party (2020/01/15)
- 2 - Morgan's Wonderland Seeks Nominations for Outstanding Benefactors of Those With Special Needs | Bob McCullough - Morgan's Wonderland (2018/06/08)
- 3 - ILCSC 43 Years of Independence - Awards Dinner a Big Success | Marcella Hernandez (2019/11/24)
- 4 - JAR 914: Father Declares War on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy | Jim Raffone (2019/11/19)
- 5 - U.S. Disability and Veterans Parking Privileges | Thomas C. Weiss (2010/05/10)
- 6 - Disability Affects 74% of Likely U.S. Midterm Election Voters | RespectAbility (2018/10/08)
- RSS: If you use a feed reader you are welcome to freely subscribe to our latest USA - Americas publications.
- 👉 For further related information see our full list of USA - Americas Documents - (Currently Listing 78 Fact Sheets).
(i)Source/Reference: Arizona Democratic Party. Disabled World makes no warranties or representations in connection therewith. Content may have been edited for style, clarity or length.