- Synopsis: Latest disability information roundup including health related news from Texas USA.
Information regarding the State of Texas, including facts and statistics, news, and information of interest for persons with disabilities residing in, or visiting the State of Texas.
Texas Disability Resources
Dallas Lighthouse for the Blind
Have been providing opportunities and assistance to visually impaired individuals for more than 75 years. They enhance the lives and opportunities of clients through job training, employment, and a multitude of community services - www.dallaslighthouse.org
Brain Injury Association of Texas (BIATX)
An organization which arose from the mutual frustration and sense of helplessness experienced by families in their search for appropriate facilities and support to return loved ones who had sustained brain injuries to maximum functioning potential - www.biatx.org
Ability Connection Texas
Ability Connection's mission is to provide a full range of services for people with physical and intellectual disabilities as they strive to achieve their highest level of independence - www.abilityconnectiontexas.org
Partners Resource Network
Their mission is to empower parents of children and youth with disabilities in their roles as parents, decision makers, and advocates for their children and to promote partnerships among parents and professionals - www.partnerstx.org
Texas Association of the Deaf
Texas Association of the Deaf (TAD) is an organization for persons who are D/deaf or hard of hearing. It is a membership organization to provide information and education including surveys and studies to bring the viewpoint on various issues affecting the lives who are deaf or hard of hearing at all levels of the community - deaftexas.org/wp/
Statistics: Texas Disability
- There are an estimated 2,962,000 people with disabilities in the state of Texas, or 14,5% of the population over the age of five.
- Approximately 579,000 people, or 2.8% of the state's population, experience difficulties with activities of daily living, to include bathing, dressing, or moving around inside their homes.
- Around 1,504,000 Texans have a form of work disability, while 657,000 people with disabilities in the state are employed.
- Approximately 117,000 people with disabilities in the state of Texas are unemployed, and 869,000 are currently not in the workforce.
Latest Texas Publications
- TxDOT Public Transportation for Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Meeting
TxDOT public outreach meetings regarding public transportation to enhance mobility for seniors and individuals with disabilities in rural communities throughout Texas.
- Accomable Launches U.S. Headquarters in Austin, Texas
Global platform for finding adapted hotels and vacation rentals for disabled and elderly people launches in Austin, Texas.
- REVUP America Make the Disability Vote Count Campaign
There are more than 56 million Americans with disabilities and 76 million baby boomers who will soon be coping with disability.
- Texas Court Denies Death Penalty Appeal of Intellectually Disabled Man
Robert Ladd, an intellectually disabled person with an IQ of 67, denied stay of execution by Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. Inclusive Communities Project, Inc.
Statement from the Texas Apartment Association Regarding Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs v. Inclusive Communities Project, Inc..
Full List of Texas Documents (27 Items)