Dance Troupe with Intellectual and Physical Disabilities Visit Disneyland
Author: Department of Aging, Disability and Home Care : Contact: -
Published: 2010-10-07 : (Rev. 2015-03-18)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Dance group of children and adults with intellectual and physical disabilities from Sydney will be performing at Disneyland in California this week.
A dance group of children and adults with intellectual and physical disabilities from Sydney will be performing at Disneyland in California this week.
The Merry Makers group includes performers aged from six to 56 who have improved their social skills through regular dance rehearsals and performances at events across Australia.
The Minister for Disability Services, Peter Primrose, said the group's performances had been acclaimed around the world. He said that the NSW Government had given the group a grant of $10,000 towards the cost of their tour.
"The Merry Makers are a good demonstration of what people with a disability can achieve," Mr Primrose said. "To be invited to a major attraction such as Disneyland must be a huge honor for them and a sign of The Merrymakers' international recognition.
"The NSW Government supports people with a disability in many fields, from the arts to sport and education, to make sure that they are given the same opportunities that all members of the community enjoy."
In November, the NSW Government will again run the Don't DIS my ABILITY campaign in the lead up to the International Day of People with a Disability on December 3.
The campaign celebrates and recognizes the achievements of people with a disability and challenges misconceptions surrounding disability. Up to 150 events are held throughout metropolitan and regional NSW.
A documentary made about the group called The Music in Me has won awards at major film festivals around the world. For more information on The Merrymakers visit: www.merrymakers.com.au
- 1 - Over a Million Australians Live in Unhealthy Housing Conditions : The University of Adelaide (2016/08/25)
- 2 - Australia Launches Braille Banknotes : Reserve Bank of Australia (2016/09/01)
- 3 - NSW Aging and Disability Services Commitment Continues : Aging, Disability and Home Care (2010/05/21)
- 4 - Early Childhood Intervention Australia (ECIA) - Working Together Agreement Package : Early Childhood Intervention Australia (ECIA) (2017/02/14)
- 5 - Hands off the NDIS - Australian Cross Disability Alliance : Australian Cross Disability Alliance (2016/03/09)
- 6 - Australian Deaf Community Celebrates National Awareness Week : Department of aging, Disability and Home Care (2010/10/16)
- 7 - Dance Troupe with Intellectual and Physical Disabilities Visit Disneyland : Department of Aging, Disability and Home Care (2010/10/07)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.