- Synopsis: Calendar of health, disability events and conferences including rehabilitation and assistive technology shows and trade fairs.
Disabled World calendar of events, lectures, and conferences related to health and disability issues that are taking place around the world including rehabilitation and assistive technology shows and trade fairs, information and reports on health and disability events currently in progress, as well as news relating to previous events and happenings. A list of awareness dates can be found Here.
People with disability and organizations that represent the interests of people with disabilities are encouraged to attend these meetings and events. Those who plan to attend a venue and require accommodations should notify the event organizers as soon as possible to allow time to make any additional special arrangements.
Guidelines to Making An Event Accessible to Persons with Disabilities
When planning events open to the public, be sure your organization's events are accessible for people with disabilities. For example the event may require a sign language interpreter, large print handouts, or simply making sure that the room you reserve is easily accessible.
- Assure nearest bathrooms are unlocked.
- Sign Language (ASL) - Sign language interpreter arrangements should be made in advance.
- Elevator Access - Check that the elevators are in working order the day before and the day of the event.
- Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs) - Assistive Listening Device arrangements should be made in advance.
- Seating - Determine the locations of seats free of line-sight obstruction or ambient- noise interference. Try to choose rooms with ramp platforms to most, if not all, parts of the room. Locate seats for optimal viewing and listening.
- The Podium - It is impossible to assume in advance the needs of all your participants. If the event includes members of the public as presenters or speakers, be sure to consider access to the podium and all event activities.
- Alternative Print - Consider print alternatives, including handouts in large print or on discs (for persons who have requested this with advance notice). Please also post printed materials electronically, if possible, for reference after your event.
- Audio-Visual Equipment - Technological capabilities available include film and video open captioning, FM microphones, printed or print alternative copies of dialog and scripts of media presentations, monitors and boards fully visible from all seats, and amplification appropriate for particular rooms.
- Clearly list contact information - Clearly list on all signs, posters, and event advertisements the contact information of the person who is responsible for accessibility issues including: wheelchair accessibility, seating arrangements, audio-visual capabilities, alternative print options, podium access, sign language availability, and accessible van and elevator services as they relate to your event.
- Wheelchair Accessibility - Be aware of the physical accessibility of the building and specific rooms in which events are held, as well as the accessibility of nearby bathrooms. Note the presence/absence and locations of functioning elevators and unobstructed ramps. Also observe entrances and exits to the event, reception, and refreshment areas, as well as proximity of bathrooms to these locations. Consider also the possibility of extra-wide wheelchairs.
Submit a coming event - See our guideline on submitting an event, article, or press release to Disabled World.
Latest Events Publications
- Harris Communications to Showcase Latest Assistive Devices at Deaf Seniors of America Houston Conference
See new options for home signaling systems for the deaf, doorbell and phone alerts, emergency and fire safety equipment, vibrating alarm clocks and more.
- Sweet Honey in the Rock - African Music by Female Cappella Group
Sweet Honey in the Rock will perform at Kean University's Enlow Recital Hall, 215 North Avenue, Hillside, NJ, at 3 p.m. on Sunday, February 26.
- 9th Annual Boating and Beach Bash Event for People with Disabilities
2017 Boating & Beach Bash for People with Disabilities to be held Saturday, March 18, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Spanish River Park in Boca Raton.
- Born Dancing NYC Inclusive Dance Company Presents "Wasted Love"
Wasted Love will run at New York Live Arts (219 West 19th Street, NY, NY, 10011), February 17th and 18th at 7:30pm and February 19th at 2:00pm.
- 2017 Face of America Bicycle and Hand Cycle Ride
World T.E.A.M. Sports annual inclusive Face of America bicycle and hand cycle ride is scheduled for April 28-30, 2017.
Full List of Events Documents (31 Items)