Restoring Prosperity to the Middle Class
Synopsis and Key Points:
At AARP National Event and Expo Barry Rand stressed importance of rebuilding economic security of the once thriving middle class.
Main DigestRand comments on the fight in Washington to protect the middle class, calls Congress Super committee efforts to reduce the federal deficit worthwhile.
At AARP's Life@50+ National Event & Expo, AARP CEO A. Barry Rand stressed the importance of rebuilding the economic security of the once thriving middle class, many who are struggling just to make ends meet.
In a speech at the Nokia Theater L.A. LIVE, Rand addressed an audience of AARP members and people 50 and older about the financial challenges faced by America's middle class, and the need to sustain the programs and benefits that older Americans have earned over a lifetime of hard work.
"If we focus on restoring prosperity to the middle class, we will get our economy going again, put people back to work, increase the revenue needed to fund the government and reduce the deficit," he said.
Rand continued his remarks saying,
"Over the past generation, more and more of the middle class have fallen off the cliff into poverty - pulled down by a lack of job opportunities, rising health care costs, inadequate savings, declining home values, a lack of consumer protections and stagnant wages that have not kept pace with the costs of meeting basic needs," said Rand.
Rand touched also on the fact that benefits like Social Security and Medicare have been and continue to be vital to maintaining independence and a middle-class standard of living in retirement. For many in the middle class that way of life is now threatened, both by the recession and the political attacks on these programs in Washington. Rand called for vigilance to protect these critical programs for health and economic security and also offered a message of optimism during this challenging time saying, "...it's during times like this when we can bring opportunity to life..."
- 1 - ILCSC Provides Essential Services to Persons with Disabilities During Covid-19 Pandemic Emergency : ILCSC (2020/05/20)
- 2 - Year of Making a Difference: St. Louis Society for the Blind and Visually Impaired : St. Louis Society for the Blind and Visually Impaired (2012/01/08)
- 3 - Federal State of the Union - NCD : National Council on Disability (2011/11/01)
- 4 - LHB Industries, Inc. Gains ISO9001:2015 Certificate for Quality Management Standards : Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis (2018/04/06)
- 5 - Enhancing Technology Access and Education for People with Disabilities : Comcast Corporation (2014/02/28)
- 6 - Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis Acquires Assets of Badge Magic : Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis (2018/09/27)
- 7 - Lighthouse for the Blind Saint Louis Launches S.O.A.R. Program at Webster University : Lighthouse for the Blind-Saint Louis (2014/06/13)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.