Gary McKinnon: Petition and Appeal to President Barack Obama
Published : 2009-08-07 - Updated : 2015-03-01
Author : UK Autism Foundation - Contact: -
Synopsis* : Joint appeal on Gary McKinnon to President Barack Obama at the White House.
Autism campaigners Ivan Corea of the UK Autism Foundation and Kevin
Healey Chairman of the Staffordshire Adults Autistic Society (who has Asperger's Syndrome) have issued a joint appeal on Gary McKinnon to President Barack Obama at the White House.
SAAS has also launched a new online petition in support of Gary McKinnon who hacked into 97 America military computers at the Pentagon and Nasa between 2001 and 2002.
Lord Carlile, the Home Office's adviser on terror laws, said extraditing Mr McKinnon would be "cruel and unconscionable" when he could be prosecuted in the UK. Opposition Leader David Cameron said he remained "far from convinced" that extradition was the right course of action and Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg has stated that there was no reason why Mr McKinnon should not be tried in the UK.The autism campaigner in the House of Commons Lee Scott has also signed a letter written by MPs to President Obama. Gary McKinnon was recently backed by Cabinet member, Peter Hain, the Welsh Secretary.
Gary McKinnon is also supported by former Home Secretary David Blunkett, Mayor of London Boris Johnson, Sir Bob Geldoff, Dave Gilmour, Chrissy Hynde, Nick Hornby, Trudie Styler and human rights campaigner Terry Waite among a whole host of celebrities and charities. Ivan Corea and Kevin Healey have appealed directly to President Barack Obama on Gary McKinnon.
Ivan Corea said: ' UKAF has joined forces with autism campaigner Kevin Healey of SAAS in appealing to President Obama to show compassion and allow him to be tried in the UK. Gary McKinnon is no terrorist. He has Asperger's Syndrome. He admits he has done wrong - we maintain that autism is a very complex world and sometimes you have unexplained behavior. Gary was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome by the eminent Professor Simon Baron Cohen. He says he was looking for evidence on UFOs. We urge President Obama to be compassionate where Gary McKinnon is concerned,' he said.
The UK Autism Foundation has joined forces with SAAS, the Autism Trust and others in setting up a new online petition in support of Gary McKinnon.
UKAF and SAAS are urging people to sign this new petition in support of Gary McKinnon. His lawyers have 28 days to appeal against the High Court decision.
The Gary McKinnon online petition: signup4garymckinnon.yolasite.com
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related European Disability News Documents
- 1: COVID-19 Vaccine (in)equity No Right of Way for EU Disabled : National vaccination strategies do not have clear-cut criteria for prioritising persons with disabilities (PWDs) to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
- 2: Update to Learning Disability Mortality Review - NHS : National Health Service (NHS) announces autistic people will now be specifically included in an improved and expanded LeDeR program.
- 3: Scaling Up European Action on Disability Policies : Commissioner for Equality, the EESC welcomes new EU Disability Rights Strategy for the next decade, a key moment for the rights of persons with disabilities.
- 4: Coronavirus Outbreak: Thoughts From the UK : Paul Dodenhoff writes from the UK regarding the possible effects and outcome of the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic in Britain.
- 5: Accessible Britain Challenge EFDS Guide : Accessible Britain Challenge vision is for communities to become more inclusive and accessible by engaging and working with disabled people.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: UK Autism Foundation. Electronic Publication Date: 2009-08-07 - Revised: 2015-03-01. Title: Gary McKinnon: Petition and Appeal to President Barack Obama, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/news/uk/gary-mckinnon-petition.php>Gary McKinnon: Petition and Appeal to President Barack Obama</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-16, from https://www.disabled-world.com/news/uk/gary-mckinnon-petition.php - Reference: DW#256-2064.