- Synopsis: Disability and health news and information including medical research covering the counties of Ireland.
Ireland is the third-largest island in Europe and the twentieth-largest island in the world. It lies to the northwest of continental Europe and is surrounded by hundreds of islands and islets. To the east of Ireland is Great Britain, separated from it by the Irish Sea.
Ireland is occupied by two political entities:
- Northern Ireland, established on the 3 May 1921, is a part of the United Kingdom that covers the remaining sixth. Its capital is Belfast.
- The Republic of Ireland, ratified 21 January 1919 and officially formed on the 6 December 1922, (officially Ireland), a sovereign state that covers five-sixths of the island. Its capital is Dublin.
Disability Allowance in Ireland
This is a long-term means-tested weekly allowance made to people with a disability from the age of 16 onwards. The disability must be expected to last at least a year and allowance is subject to medical suitability. If you qualify for Disability Allowance you may also get extra social welfare benefit with your payment and other supplementary welfare payments.
Blind Welfare Allowance
This is a means-tested supplementary payment to a person who is blind or has low vision and is getting a maintenance payment from the Department of Social and Family Affairs (such as Disability Allowance), and who needs extra support or resources to meet their needs.
Irish Disability Resources:
Disability.ie - Aims to provide easy access to a comprehensive on-line information service for people with disabilities - www.disability.ie
NDA - The lead state agency on disability issues and universal design, providing independent expert advice to the Government on policy and practice - www.nda.ie
Disability Federation of Ireland (DFI) - Works to ensure that Irish society is fully inclusive of people with disabilities and disabling conditions so that they can exercise fully their civil, social and human rights. DFI is an umbrella organization of over 100 voluntary disability organizations and groups. Allied to this, it works with and supports over 200 organizations and groups around the country that have a significant and growing disability interest, mainly coming from the statutory and voluntary sectors - www.disability-federation.ie
The Rehab Group - An independent, not-for-profit organization which provides training, employment, health and social care and commercial services for some 56,000 people each year in Ireland, the UK, the Netherlands and Poland - www.rehab.ie
Dublin City University - (DCU) Promote equality of access for learners with disabilities, specific learning difficulties and ongoing medical conditions in DCU. In line with best practice guidelines, they coordinate a range of support for students to ensure they have equity of access to their studies. Phone: 01700 5927, Email: email@example.com, or visit www.dcu.ie
Statistics: Ireland Disability
Disability Statistics for Ireland 2006 - 2007
- Results from the Northern Ireland Survey of people with Activity Limitations and Disabilities (NISALD) show that 18% of the Northern Ireland population of all ages living in private households face limitations in their daily living as a consequence of a disability or long term condition.
- Almost two out of every five households in Northern Ireland include at least one person with a limiting disability.
- More than one-fifth (21%) of adults in Northern Ireland have at least one disability.
- Amongst children, 6% are affected by a disability.
- The most common types of disabilities reported by adults were associated with chronic illnesses, pain, mobility difficulties and dexterity difficulties.
- Amongst children, the most common types of disabilities were linked with chronic illnesses, learning difficulties and social / behavioral difficulties.
- There is a clear increase in disability with age, rising to 60% amongst those aged 75 and above.
- Amongst the very elderly, aged 85 and above, two-thirds are living with a disability or disabilities.
Latest Ireland Disability News Publications
- Health, Disability and Carers in Ireland Statistics
Publication presents profile of health of the Irish population focusing in detail on disability and carers who provide unpaid assistance.
- Disability in Ireland - Policy Changes Necessary
New study has identified significant gaps in public policy and service delivery for people with disabilities in Northern Ireland.
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities - Dublin
The conference will showcase how international cooperation and global collaboration on disability rights has brought positive change for persons with disabilities.
- Disability Access News Radio Ireland
Disability Access News on Corks Life Fm 93.1 radio focuses on disabilities twice daily every Tuesday and Thursday at 3.30pm and 8pm.
- Trabasack Launches in Ireland at Dublin Access Care and Mobility Expo
Trabasack the versatile laptray bag that is useful as laptop bag wheelchair tray or play tray for children in buggies and car-seats is now be available to people in Ireland.
Full List of Ireland Disability News Documents (15 Items)