EU Signs Treaty to Enable Access to Books for People with Vision Disability
- Publish Date: 2014/05/07 - (Rev. 2016/06/11)
- Author: Global Accessibility News
- Contact : globalaccessibilitynews.com
Outline: The European Union signs Marrakesh Treaty to facilitate access to published works for persons who are blind or low vision.
The treaty will ensure that books in formats such as Braille, large print, e-books and audio books with special navigation tools can be exchanged across borders not only within the EU but also between the EU and third countries, said an EU statement.
"Today's signature of the Marrakesh Treaty marks another important step on the road to full access for persons who are blind or low vision and print disabled community to the same books as everyone else," commented EU Internal Market Commissioner Michel Barnier.
"The Marrakesh Treaty is not only of huge importance for persons who are blind or low vision in Europe but also for potential beneficiaries living in developing countries."
Between 17 and 28 June 2013, the World Intellectual Property Organization which is the United Nations agency dedicated to the use of intellectual property , held a conference in Marrakech , Morocco, to conclude a Treaty to facilitate access to published works for persons who are blind, visually impaired, or otherwise print disabled.
The new Treaty allows organizations for blind people to produce, distribute and make available accessible format copies to persons who are blind or low visions without the authorization of the right holder.
According to the World Blind Union, there are an estimated 285 million people with vision disabilities living worldwide; most of them in developing countries and only 5 percent of published books are available in special formats today.
The statement said the objective of the EU, along with the World Blind Union, is to increase it to 100 percent.
- 1 - Media Needs to Start Breaking Down Stigma Surrounding Disability | European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) | 2019/07/11
- 2 - UK Road Atlas for Blue Badge Drivers | The PIE Guide | 2011/07/06
- 3 - The Catastrophe of Disability Welfare Within the UK | Paul Dodenhoff | 2014/06/30
- 4 - Upcoming EU Elections Must Be Accessible to Everyone | EESC Press Unit | 2019/02/11
- 5 - Reintroducing the Sick-role? Disability in Modern Day Britain | Paul Dodenhoff | 2019/01/10