Disability Sports: News, Updates and Information
Disabled World: Revised/Updated: 2019/04/09
Synopsis: Disabled World presents a round up of disability sports news and events, including results, fixtures, and interviews, from around the world. Adaptive sports are also known as disability sports or parasports. Adapted sports help society learn about disabilities.
This section of Disabled World presents a round up of disability sports news and events, including results, fixtures, and interviews, from around the world concerning persons with disabilities.
Disability sporting events around the world are becoming more and more common everyday and round the globe there are numerous organizations working towards improved accessibility of sports for disabled people at every level.
Disabled World wants to make sure that the number of disabled people in sport increases across the board - whether as a participant, trainer or administrator. The aim being to ensure that people with physical, sensory and learning difficulties have equal access to sport and physical activity worldwide. Learn more about the increasing broad aspects of disability sport and get practical tips on inclusion.
What are Adaptive Sports?
Adaptive sports also known as disability sports, adapted sports, or parasports, are sports played by persons with a disability, including physical and intellectual disabilities. Disability exists in four different classes, or categories: mental, physical, permanent and temporary.
Edwards Air Force Base Airmen play a game of wheelchair rugby with Triumph Foundation members. The event was in recognition of National Disability Employment Awareness Month - (U.S. Air Force photo by Kyle Larson).
- Sport for persons with intellectual disabilities began to be organized in the 1960s through the Special Olympics movement.
- Sport for persons with physical disabilities also began to be organized in the U.S. in the late 1960s through Disabled Sports USA.
As many disabled sports are based on existing able bodied sports, modified to meet the needs of persons with a disability, they are sometimes referred to as adapted sports. Today, organized sport for athletes with a disability is generally divided into three broad disability groups:
- The deaf
- People with physical disabilities
- People with intellectual disabilities
Each group has a distinct history, organization, competition program, and approach to sport.
Read about all the disabled sporting action and coming events in our news articles regarding disability in sports, results, breaking sport news, action video clips, and sporting event listings, as well as feature stories and articles. For the latest in paralympic news updates, events, and venues, visit our Paralympic Games Section.
Associated Sub-Topics and Pertinent Documents
Suggested Related Articles
- 1 - Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games - The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) - (2019/04/02).
- 2 - Portable Bocce Courts Could Expand Bocce Playing in Hong Kong - Packaworld - (2018/10/15).
- 3 - International Blind Sports Federation Paralympic Qualifier - Fort Wayne, IN - Summer 2019 - Visit Fort Wayne - (2018/06/21).
- 4 - Turnstone Center Designated as Official Paralympic Training Site by US Olympic Committee - Turnstone - Visit Fort Wayne - (2018/05/21).
- 5 - Turnstone Endeavor Games Concludes with National Records Broken - Turnstone Endeavor Games - (2018/05/17).
- 6 - Goalball UK Trials Revolutionary Portable Goalball Goals - Packaworld - (2018/05/07).
- 👉 For further related information see our full list of Disability Sports News Documents - (90 Fact Sheets).