2014 Warrior Games Concludes
Author: United States Olympic Committee : Contact: www.teamusa.org
Synopsis and Key Points:
2014 Warrior Games presented by Deloitte concluded in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with the Army winning the Chairmans Cup.
Main Digest2014 Warrior Games presented by Deloitte concludes with Chairman's Cup, Ultimate Champion presentation.
The 2014 Warrior Games presented by Deloitte concluded Saturday at the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with the Army winning the Chairman's Cup, the award presented to the top overall performing service branch at the Warrior Games. Air Force Captain Mitch Kieffer was crowned the Ultimate Champion based on individual accolades.
The Warrior Games, which features five U.S. teams (Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Special Operations), is a competition for 200 wounded, ill and injured service members and veterans held over six days at the U.S. Olympic Training Center, Fort Carson, Gary Berry Stadium and the U.S. Air Force Academy. In addition to Deloitte, the presenting sponsor, the fifth annual competition is also supported by the Department of Defense, AT&T, BP, Dow, Semper Fi Fund, The Fisher House Foundation, The Daniels Fund and USO.
"We congratulate all of the 2014 Warrior Games competitors," said Charlie Huebner, vice president, Olympic and Paralympic Foundation. "This great competition wouldn't be possible without the support of the community of Colorado Springs, our military partners and sponsors. This competition is about more than sport, it is about inspiring our service members and veterans as well as all Americans."
The Chairman's Cup is a performance-based team award that tallies each team's top finishes in individual events as well as sitting volleyball and wheelchair basketball, the two team sports contested at the Warrior Games. The Army claimed its first Chairman's Cup with 71 points, topping the Marine Corps, which finished with 54 points. Air Force finished third 48, while Navy and Special Operations took fourth and fifth.
Captain Mitch Kieffer (Apple Valley, Minnesota), who has a traumatic brain injury from injuries sustained when his convoy was attacked in Baghdad, was crowned the Ultimate Champion for the second year in a row. Previous Ultimate Champion winners include U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Daniel Hathorne and Staff Sergeant Scott Martin, who were co-winners in 2010, and Marine Corps Veteran, and two-time winner Marine Cpt. Jonathan Disbro as Ultimate Champion (2011 & 2012). The Ultimate Champion title is based on five competitions: 50-meter freestyle in swimming; 10m prone air rifle, shooting; 100m sprint, track; race based on disability category, cycling; and shot put, field.
Captain Kieffer's performance at the Warrior Games was highlighted by a second place finish the cycling men's open 30km event and a third place finish in the swimming 50m freestyle open event.
Air Force team members Lara Ishikawa (Houston, Texas) finished second in the Ultimate Champion competition with seven points, and Justin Wess (Hubbard, Ohio) from the Marine Corps team took third.
2014 Chairman's Cup final standings:
- Army, 71 medals
- Marine Corps, 54 medals
- Air Force, 48 medals
- Navy, 28 medals
- Special Operations, 22 medals
2014 Ultimate Champion final standings:
- First: Mitch Kieffer, Air Force
- Second: Lara Ishikawa, Air Force
- Third: Justin Wess, Marine Corps
- Fourth: Stephen Toboz, Special Operations
- Fifth: Michael Politowicz, Marine Corps
- Sixth: Isaac Francois, Navy
- Seventh: Michael Roggio, Navy
- Eighth: John Masters, Special Operations
For more on the 2014 Warrior Games presented by Deloitte, visit teamusa.org/WarriorGames/
- 1 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 2 - Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2019/04/02)
- 3 - Portable Bocce Courts Could Expand Bocce Playing in Hong Kong : Packaworld (2018/10/15)
- 4 - Goalball UK Trials Revolutionary Portable Goalball Goals : Packaworld (2018/05/07)
- 5 - North Pole to be Made Wheelchair Accessible : Team Independence '09 (2009/03/30)
- 6 - Disability and Gender Equity in Sport : Canadian Heritage (2018/04/25)
- 7 - International Blind Sports Federation Paralympic Qualifier - Fort Wayne, IN - Summer 2019 : Visit Fort Wayne (2018/06/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.