National Veterans Wheelchair Games Pittsburgh
Author: Paralyzed Veterans of America
Synopsis and Key Points:
More than 600 wheelchair athletes from the United States Puerto Rico and Great Britain will convene in Pittsburgh for the 31st National Veterans Wheelchair Games.
Main Digest31st National Veterans Wheelchair Games Kicks Off August 1 in Pittsburgh.
The following is being released by the Paralyzed Veterans of America:
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Department of Veterans Affairs
More than 600 athletes, all military veterans in wheelchairs
More than 600 wheelchair athletes from across the United States, Puerto Rico and Great Britain, will convene in Pittsburgh for the 31st National Veterans Wheelchair Games. From the Greatest Generation to the latest generation, competing veterans will go for the gold to test their mettle and determination. Among the newest competitors will be veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
The Games include 17 competitive events, such as quad rugby, wheelchair slalom and basketball. Some contestants are first-time, newly injured veterans; others are world-class Paralympians - and all have a story to tell.
The 2011 Disabled Sports, Recreation and Fitness Expo (August 1);
Games Kickoff and Opening Ceremonies (August 1);
Kids Day at the Games (August 5), where local children with disabilities will meet the athletes and learn about wheelchair sports.
August 1 - 6, 2011
Events will be held at venues throughout Pittsburgh, including:
David L. Lawrence Convention Center
University of Pittsburgh
Clairton Sportsmen's Club
Admission is free and all are encouraged to attend.
For more information, visit www.wheelchairgames.va.gov or www.pva.org/2011Games.
- 1 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 2 - Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2019/04/02)
- 3 - Portable Bocce Courts Could Expand Bocce Playing in Hong Kong : Packaworld (2018/10/15)
- 4 - Goalball UK Trials Revolutionary Portable Goalball Goals : Packaworld (2018/05/07)
- 5 - North Pole to be Made Wheelchair Accessible : Team Independence '09 (2009/03/30)
- 6 - Disability and Gender Equity in Sport : Canadian Heritage (2018/04/25)
- 7 - International Blind Sports Federation Paralympic Qualifier - Fort Wayne, IN - Summer 2019 : Visit Fort Wayne (2018/06/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.