RIM-AU Wheelchair Basketball Tournament
Author: Michigan Sports & Spine Centers
Published: 2012-01-12 : (Rev. 2012-01-18)
- 3rd Annual RIM-AU Wheelchair Basketball Tournament January 14 and 15 Beechwood Recreation Center Southfield MI 48033 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 pm Saturday and Sunday.
Main DigestThis year's tournament will be twice as big as in years past with 17 teams participating - fantastic growth over the years!
Wheelchair Basketball - A form of basketball usually played by the physically impaired. Participants play on specially designed wheelchairs, built specifically for the sport.
3rd Annual RIM-AU Wheelchair Basketball Tournament, Presented by Athletes Unlimited and DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan - Wheelchair Basketball Tournament January 14-15, 2012 at Beechwood Recreation Center, Southfield, MI 48033. Games will be played from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.
The teams include 13 Divisions 3 teams and 4 Junior Divisions teams.
Teams will travel from all over to participate: Detroit Diehards, Grand Rapids, London Ontario, Kentwood MI, Nashville TN, Pittsburgh PA, Chicago IL, Cleveland OH, Fort Wayne IN, Romeo MI, Wisconsin, Moraine OH.
The tournament features several Hall of Fame and Paralympics Athletes from Michigan.
The player to watch on RIM's Detroit Diehard team is Mo Phillips and Myreo Dixon. Philips is an amputee who has been playing and coaching both nationally and internationally for over 25 years, coaching the Men's USA wheelchair basketball team from 1998-2004. Over his playing career, Phillips has won 6 National Championships and was inducted into the National Wheelchair Basketball Association Hall of Fame in 1998.
Bring your family and friends as this is sure to be a fun and excited event for all!
For more information about the event, to become a sponsor and support the event, a team or player please feel free to visit Athletes Unlimited website www.athletesunlimited.com or call Mo Phillips Jr. 248.355.5349.
About Athletes Unlimited - Athletes Unlimited is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing social, recreational and athletic outlets to people with disabilities. Our guiding philosophy is that life is not intended to be a spectator sport. Everyone, regardless of ability, can benefit from participating in sports. It continues to be Athletes Unlimited primary goal to provide these opportunities to as many physically challenged individuals as possible. Athletes Unlimited was founded by Jeff S. Pierce D.O. of Michigan Sports & Spine Center (MSS), CORE Sports Fitness and Spa America. Questions about any of these organizations can be directed to MSS at 248.619.9000.
About Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan - DMC's Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan is one of the nation's largest hospitals specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The Institute is home to many innovative programs, including the Southeastern Michigan Traumatic Brain Injury System (SEMTBIS), one of only 16 federally designated centers of excellence in the U.S. for the treatment of brain injuries, and the Center for Spinal Cord Injury Recovery, a world-class facility designed to implement and study innovative treatments in spinal cord injury recovery. RIM is one of eight hospitals operated by the Detroit Medical Center (DMC). The DMC is proud to be the Official Healthcare Services Provider of the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings, and Detroit Pistons.
Michigan Sports & Spine Center is a committed, comprehensive practice dedicated to overall health improvement, as well as injury rehabilitation and prevention. We believe in a non-surgical approach. We will do everything in our power to prevent you from surgery but when it is necessary, we'll make sure you get to the right surgeon. With patients ranging from high-profile athletes to everyday people, we are confident that we can not only relieve, but also resolve your pain. For more information visit our website at www.michigansportsandspine.com or call 248.680.9000.
- 1 - Move United: America's Community Based Adaptive Sports Organization : Susan Rossi (2020/05/05)
- 2 - Rabat the Capital of Morocco to Host African Para Games : The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2019/04/02)
- 3 - Portable Bocce Courts Could Expand Bocce Playing in Hong Kong : Packaworld (2018/10/15)
- 4 - Goalball UK Trials Revolutionary Portable Goalball Goals : Packaworld (2018/05/07)
- 5 - North Pole to be Made Wheelchair Accessible : Team Independence '09 (2009/03/30)
- 6 - Disability and Gender Equity in Sport : Canadian Heritage (2018/04/25)
- 7 - International Blind Sports Federation Paralympic Qualifier - Fort Wayne, IN - Summer 2019 : Visit Fort Wayne (2018/06/21)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.