Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games Information
Author: Disabled World
Published: 2008-12-14 : (Rev. 2009-02-13)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Opening Ceremony for the Paralympic Games will be held on March 12, 2010 at BC Place in Vancouver.
Main DigestVancouver, Whistler and Canada are ready to welcome the world to one of the most exciting and inspiring celebrations of sport, culture and sustainability - the X Paralympic Winter Games - which will be held from March 12 to 21, 2010.
Vancouver, Whistler and Canada are ready to welcome the world to one of the most exciting and inspiring celebrations of sport, culture and sustainability - the X Paralympic Winter Games - which will be held from March 12 to 21, 2010.
The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) has spent more than seven years planning for both Games, and will deliver two of the most accessible and memorable Games experiences in history.
Opening Ceremony for the Paralympic Games will be held on March 12, 2010, at BC Place in Vancouver.
The Paralympic Closing Ceremony will be held on March 21, 2010, in Whistler, BC. Paralympic Victory Ceremonies will be presented in Whistler between 13 and 20 March, 2010.
Nightly medal presentations will celebrate the winners of the alpine and Nordic events, and will be followed by an evening concert.
The Paralympic Winter Games are the ultimate international competition for world-class athletes with a disability. Shortly after the closing of the Olympic Winter Games, 650 of the world's best athletes from more than 40 countries will converge on Vancouver and Whistler to compete in five Paralympic Winter Sports, in six venues.
Ice sledge hockey at UBC Thunderbird Arena
Competition Dates: March 13-14, 16-20
Wheelchair curling at Vancouver Paralympic Center
Competition Dates: March 13 to 20
Alpine skiing at Whistler Creekside
Competition Dates: March 13-16, 18-21
Cross-country skiing at Whistler Paralympic Park
Competition Dates: March 14-15, 18, 20-21
Biathlon at Whistler Paralympic Park
Competition Dates: March 13, 17
As for transportation, British Columbia is home to many vibrant and active communities accessible to persons with a disability. Vancouver 2010 is committed to barrier-free access for persons with a disability in all areas of transportation during the Paralympic Winter Games.
Vancouver is one of the most accessible cities in the world and a leader in providing progressive transportation systems for persons with a disability. Whistler is also very accessible and offers a wide range of accessible routes and adaptive services. All Games venues will be barrier-free, including the transport areas and loading zones.
There will be an enhanced transportation service to optimize the movement of spectators to all city and mountain venues. Increasing public transit capacity and encouraging people to walk, cycle and carpool will help reduce congestion. This will also showcase our collective effort to promote sustainability and healthy ways to get around.
There will be no spectator parking at any of the venues. Parking restrictions are necessary to ensure venues have adequate operating space and to ensure the safe, smooth flow of traffic.
The Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad
The Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad is a series of three festivals that take place before and during the Paralympic Winter Games, showcasing the finest in Canadian and international arts and culture. Launched in February 2008, Cultural Olympiad 2009 takes place from February 1 through March 21, 2009. Cultural Olympiad 2010 kicks off 60 days of celebration on January 22, continuing through March 21, 2010.
Tickets for the 10 days of the X Paralympic Games go on sale May 6, 2009 at vancouver2010.com.
- 1: Paralympics Biathlon - Adaptive Skiing and Shooting : Joe Macmillan and Irma Mac Millan (2008/12/23)
- 2: U.S. National Sled Hockey Team Earns Olympic Committee Honors : USA Hockey (2010/01/24)
- 3: Schools Learn About 2010 Games with Digital Technology : UBC Faculty of Education (2010/02/13)
- 4: Donate Sell or Buy Olympic and Paralympic Games Tickets : VANOC (2009/12/28)
- 5: 2010 Paralympics Games - The Sports : Joe Macmillan and Irma Mac Millan (2008/12/22)
- 6: Paralympic Event Times - 14 Mar 2010 : Disabled World (2010/03/10)
- 7: Paralympic Events and Times - 15 Mar 2010 : Disabled World (2010/03/10)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.