Rio Paralympic Games Broadcasts: Live Stream from Rio 2016 Paralympics
Published : 2016-08-24
Author : IPC - Contact: paralympic.org
Synopsis* : Coverage of sports will be live streamed on 15 High Definition channels during Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
Around 680 hours of coverage from 13 sports will be live streamed on 15 High Definition (HD) channels on the International Paralympic Committee's (IPC) website Paralympic.org during the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
The IPC selected Dailymotion to provide the streaming services. Dailymotion is the world's second largest video sharing website with three billion video views per month. It also has an extensive network of media publishers, such as news sites, which use the Dailymotion player on their websites.
Craig Spence, the IPC's Director of Media and Communications, said: "We're really excited that during Rio 2016 we will be live streaming 72 hours of sport each day across 15 channels. It will mean that fans from around the world can either watch the Games on TV or on Paralympic.org. We're really excited to be working with Dailymotion for the first time, to use their publisher network and bring the Paralympic Games to new audiences."
"Strategically Dailymotion is a really good choice for the IPC. Half of their user base is located in Asia – the location of the next three Paralympic Games."
"Although the IPC has strong broadcast partners in South Korea, Japan and China, we hope that using Dailymotion's publisher network during Rio 2016 will help the IPC to build on that for the Games to come".
The live stream, which will have English commentary, will be available in around 240 territories on Paralympic.org and in around 190 territories on Dailymotion.com/Paralympics. A full list of rightsholding broadcasters can be found here: https://www.paralympic.org/watch-rio-2016. This page will be updated with links to broadcaster streams.
As well as the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, athletics, track cycling, football 5-a-side, football 7-a-side, judo, powerlifting, sitting volleyball, swimming, table tennis, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair fencing, wheelchair rugby and wheelchair tennis will be live streamed. All other sports will feature in the daily highlights which will be streamed at 16:00 and 23:00 BRT each day, as well as two news shows, shown at 03:00 and 10:00 each day.
The IPC will also upload athlete interviews and other original content to the Dailymotion channel.
The Dailymotion player is 100 per cent responsive and HTML5 compliant, the V5 is built for maximum performance on any device.
It also has greater accessibility features, such as screen reader, voice over and subtitles.
"It's our particular goal to distribute content that captivates and engages our existing community of over 400M global visitors," said Maxime Saada, CEO of Dailymotion "Our global audience will enjoy the Rio 2016 Paralympics and the Dailymotion player, and our accessibility features will satisfy the public who will discover Dailymotion through this great event"
The IPC's video and live stream coverage during the Games can be broken down to the following:
- Live coverage of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Up to 72 hours of live sport each day available via 15 HD channels with English commentary
- Almost 700 hours of video on demand
- Two daily highlights shows broadcast in English
- One daily news show
- Athlete interviews and behind-the-scenes content
You're reading Disabled World. Be sure to check out our homepage for further informative disability news, reviews, disability sports events, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Related 2016 Rio Documents
- 1: Symbols of Ability: Paralympians Record Video Blogs Relating to Rio 2016 Paralympic Games : Paralympians record exclusive behind the scenes video blogs in lead up to and during the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
- 2: Have We Just Witnessed the Greatest Paralympics Ever : The RIO 2016 Paralympic Games were highly successful in terms of exciting sport, high ticket sales, full stadiums and great TV coverage.
- 3: Rio 2016 Paralympic Games: List of Athletes to Watch : International Paralympic Committee list of athletes to watch for Rio 2016 Paralympics.
- 4: Rio 2016 Paralympics Had Over 4.1 Billion TV Viewers : IPC announces Rio 2016 Paralympic Games were the most viewed in history attracting a record cumulative audience of more than 4.1 billion people.
- 5: #FilltheSeats Campaign Helped Many Enjoy the RIO 2016 Paralympics : FilltheSeats helped ensure many school children in Brazil who might not have the resources to enjoy the games were able to.
*Disclaimer: Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. View our Advertising Policy for further information. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.
Journal: Disabled World. Language: English (U.S.). Author: IPC. Electronic Publication Date: 2016-08-24. Title: Rio Paralympic Games Broadcasts: Live Stream from Rio 2016 Paralympics, Source: <a href=https://www.disabled-world.com/sports/paralympics/2016/rio2016-broadcast.php>Rio Paralympic Games Broadcasts: Live Stream from Rio 2016 Paralympics</a>. Retrieved 2021-04-18, from https://www.disabled-world.com/sports/paralympics/2016/rio2016-broadcast.php - Reference: DW#343-12333.