2018 PyeongChang Paralympics
Disabled World (disabled-world.com)
Revised/Updated: Wednesday, 3rd April 2019
Synopsis and Key Points:
The 2018 XII Paralympic Winter Games will be held from 9 to 18 March 2018 and hosted by Pyeongchang, South Korea.
The 2018 Winter Paralympics, officially known as the XII Paralympic Winter Games, were held in Pyeongchang, South Korea, from 9th to 18th March 2018.
The Winter Paralympic Games is an international multi-sport event where athletes with physical disabilities compete. This includes athletes with mobility disabilities, amputations, blindness, and cerebral palsy.
The 2018 Winter Paralympic Games will feature up to 670 athletes, a 24% increase on the 539 athletes that competed at Sochi 2014. This number includes a 44% increase in the number of female athletes set compete compared to the Sochi 2014 Paralympics.
Competitions in the 2018 Winter Paralympics will be held in 6 Winter Paralympic sports, with 80 medal events in total. Snowboarding will be expanded into a separate discipline for 2018, with 10 medal events.
Current 2018 Paralympic Sports
- Alpine skiing
- Ice sledge hockey
- Wheelchair curling
- Cross-country skiing
Number of Paralympic Athletes
With 68 athletes, the USA has the biggest delegation at PyeongChang 2018, followed by Canada (52), Japan (38), South Korea (36) and Norway (32). The competing countries are listed below, together with the number of athletes they have entered into competition.
- Andorra (1)
- Argentina (2)
- Armenia (1)
- Australia (12)
- Austria (13)
- Belgium (2)
- Bosnia & Herzegovina (1)
- Belarus (14)
- Brazil (3)
- Bulgaria (1)
- Canada (52)
- Chile (4)
- China (26)
- Croatia (7)
- Czech Republic (21)
- Denmark (1)
- Spain (3)
- Finland (13)
- France (12)
- Great Britain (14)
- Georgia (2)
- Germany (20)
- Greece (1)
- Hungary (2)
- Iran (5)
- Iceland (1)
- Italy (25)
- Japan (38)
- Kazakhstan (6)
- Korea (36)
- Mexico (1)
- Mongolia (1)
- Netherlands (9)
- Norway (32)
- Neutral Paralympic Athlete (30)
- New Zealand (3)
- Poland (8)
- North Korea (2)
- Romania (1)
- Slovenia (1)
- Serbia (1)
- Switzerland (13)
- Slovakia (11)
- Sweden (24)
- Tajikistan (1)
- Turkey (1)
- Ukraine (20)
- USA (68)
- Uzbekistan (1).
Venues for the 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics
- Main Olympic Village - Athletes Village
- Alpensia Resort - Biathlon, cross country skiing
- Gangneung Curling Centre - Wheelchair Curling
- Gangneung Hockey Centre - Ice Sledge Hockey
- Jeongseon Alpine Centre - alpine skiing and snowboarding
- Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium - Awards and Opening and Closing Ceremonies
The Alpensia Resort in Daegwallyeong-myeon will be the focus of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Paralympics.
Bandabi, an Asiatic black bear, has been designated as the official mascot of the 2018 Winter Paralympics.
The official website for the 2018 Paralympic Games is https://www.paralympic.org/pyeongchang-2018
Subtopics and Associated Subjects
- 1 - PyeongChang 2018 Paralympics: Day Eight Highlights : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2018/03/17)
- 2 - PyeongChang 2018 Paralympics: Day Seven Highlights : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2018/03/16)
- 3 - PyeongChang 2018 Paralympics: Day Six Highlights : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2018/03/15)
- 4 - PyeongChang 2018 Paralympics: Day Five Highlights : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2018/03/14)
- 5 - PyeongChang 2018 Paralympics: Day Four Highlights : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2018/03/13)
- 6 - PyeongChang 2018: IPC Confident of Record Breaking TV and Social Media Audience : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2018/03/06)
- 7 - Watch Live Coverage of PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Games : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2018/03/01)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.