Mobility Cup Disability Sailing Race
- Publish Date: 2009/01/12 - (Rev. 2016/06/13)
- Author: Disabled World
- Contact : Disabled World
Outline: Information on the 2009 Mobility Cup a sail boat race by the disabled to promote public awareness of the capacities of people with disabilities.
Marking its tenth anniversary the Disabled Sailing Association of Ontario will host the 2009 Mobility Cup at Toronto's Ashbridge's Bay Yacht Club.
In 1991, Sam Sullivan, quadriplegic founder of the Disabled Sailing Association of BC, envisioned a sailing regatta where people would come together, to promote public awareness of the capacities of people with disabilities and to provide those with disabilities the opportunity to participate in a world class event.
Billed as a "regatta of possibilities" Mobility Cup's inspiring format brings sailors that may have never sailed before to the start line with Mobility Cup champions that have gone on to represent Canada in the Paralympic Games.
Sailing provides a unique sporting opportunity for people with disability, as participants are not segregated by the nature of their disability, the only divisions are according to sailing experience. Over the years this event has been the catalyst for advances in the sport - from the world's first sailboat Sip 'n' Puff system, which debuted at Mobility Cup 1993, to the 1995 commissioning of the Martin 16 boat.
Today the Mobility Cup has become "Canada's showcase" for the development of sailing programs for the disabled. The boat used by disabled sailing programs is the Martin 16 sailboat. The Martin 16 is unsinkable, maneuverable and fast, and it can easily be equipped with a Sip 'n' Puff and joystick system that allows those with little or no upper body mobility to discover or return to the world of sailing.
In September 2009, 60 sailors will come from across Canada and the United States as well as Europe and as far away as New Zealand to compete from Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club on Toronto's waterfront for the Mobility Cup and the Sam Sullivan Trophy.
Last year the 2008 Mobility Cup was held in Montreal, Quebec, on Lac St. Louis, sailing out of the Pointe Claire Yacht Club (PCYC).
For more information on this event visit www.mobilitycup.com
- 1 - Paralympic Sailing Information | Disabled World | 2009/01/13
- 2 - Angle Oar Paddle - Kayaking For People with Disabilities and Seniors | Angle Oar, LLC | 2016/11/24
- 3 - Angle Oar Paddle Design Opens Kayaking to Seniors and People with Disabilities | Angle Oar | 2014/05/18
- 4 - Stay-Focused SCUBA for Teens and Young Adults with Disabilities | Thomas C. Weiss | 2013/07/02
- 5 - Mobility Cup Disability Sailing Race | Disabled World | 2009/01/12
- 6 - Disability Water Sports Programs and Clubs | Disabled World | 2009/01/19
- 7 - Jubilee Sailing Trust Tall Ship Voyage - Bring a Buddy for Free | Jubilee Sailing Trust Limited | 2011/06/28
- 8 - SkiAbility - Water Skiing and Wakeboarding for Persons with Disabilities | Disabled World | 2009/08/04
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media