Can Oil of Oregano Improve Arthritis
Author: Katie Li
Published: 2011-05-19 : (Rev. 2013-08-21)
The high potency of oregano oil active substances can definitely give relief to those who are suffering from arthritis.
Main DigestThe high potency of oregano oil's active substances can definitely give relief to those who are suffering from arthritis.
Arthritis is a painful, chronic, musculoskeletal condition that is accompanied by extreme pain, inflammation and stiffness of joint. The ability of oregano oil to penetrate deeply into the skin and reach the joints can bring relief to those suffering from this disease. The wild oregano plant was used by the ancient Greeks for treating various ailments, ranging from simple skin diseases to digestive and respiratory disorders. They used the wild oregano plant, Origanum vulgare, found in their hilltops. It is not the same as the common oregano, Oreganum marjoram, which is used as food spice.
The modern way is by using the oil of oregano that comes from the leaves of the wild oregano plant. This essential oil is produced by crushing the leaves of the plant and extracting the oil by cold process. No heat is involved in the extraction process, so as not to reduce the potency of the substance. Laboratory studies made by several universities in the United States have already identified the substances in the oil that gives it its high potency. These active agents are carvacrol and thymol. Laboratory experiments conducted by these same universities showed that these two substances are effective in killing bacteria, parasites and fungi. It was also found that the microorganisms were not able to develop resistance against this essential oil.
Ability to Activate HSP
A recent study also showed that carvacrol has the ability to activate HSP through the regulatory T cells and prevent artificially induced autoimmune arthritis. Your T cells are the ones that regulate your tolerance to high stress. They do this by activating your natural anti-inflammatory defense system known as heat shock proteins (HSP). The experiments proved that carvacrol can increase the responses of the T cells against self-stress protein and reduce the inflammation. The scientists concluded that oregano oil, through carvacrol, have completely suppressed the self-induced joint damage.
A published article in Phytotherapy Research stated that oil of oregano is as effective as morphine when used as a pain killer. This is due to the oil's ability to deeply penetrate the skin down to the synovial fluid in the joints. It even surpassed the ability of conventional drugs to reverse pain and inflammation.
Increases Joints and Muscle Flexibility
Since oregano oil can be used either internally or externally, it will help in increasing your joint and muscle flexibility. Inflammation happens in the affected joints and it is caused by infections and other diseases that affect the joints and the tendons. Using oregano oil will help stop these, and when the inflammation is gone, you will regain your muscle and joint flexibility.
Dosage and Application
a) For external application - mix 1 drop of oregano oil with 5 drops of virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil. Generously apply this mixture to the affected joints as often as needed. You can also relieve yourself from pains caused by sore muscles, cramps and other inflammatory problems by using this method. Oil of oregano is very active therefore if your skin is sensitive, you need to do a patch test first before applying it to large areas of skin.
b) For internal usage - add 2 drops of oregano oil to one glass of water or fruit juice. To avoid irritation of your mucous membrane, take it in capsule form. Follow the instructions indicated on the bottle. You can improve the efficacy of this method by drinking extra fluid when taking the oil internally. It is not advisable to take this oil continuously for more than 6 weeks. You could reduce your body's ability to absorb the oil. If you think you need to continue, pause for at least 2 weeks before resuming the treatment.
Due to the high potency of oregano oil, you have to seek the counsel of your health provider, especially if you have an existing medical condition and if you will take it for an extended period of time. There are also some variations of this product that can be harmful to your liver and kidneys, so you therefore need to get the advice of your doctor as to the right type of oregano oil that will be safe for you to take. The highly active ingredients in oregano oil may also be harmful to pregnant and nursing women. It shouldn't be taken internally by babies or children under 7 years old.
- 1 - Including Canola Oil in Diet May Cut Belly Fat : Victoria M. Indivero - Pennsylvania State University (2016/11/02)
- 2 - Status of Fish Oil with Regards to Purity : Dr. Dave's Best (2010/04/02)
- 3 - Delaying Fat Digestion to Curb Appetite : Norwich BioScience Institutes (2010/08/19)
- 4 - High Omega-6 Fatty Acid Levels Can Protect Against Premature Death : University of Eastern Finland (2018/04/01)
- 5 - Omega-3 from Fish Better Than from Flax for Cancer Prevention : University of Guelph (2018/01/27)
- 6 - Eat Fat and Live Longer - High Fat Diet Increases Longevity and Strength : University of California - Davis (2017/09/14)
- 7 - Eating Seafood Weekly May Slow Memory Loss : Rush University Medical Center (2016/05/16)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.