United States Senate Finance Committee to Investigate Long-Term Disability Insurance Claims
Author: Disability Attorneys Dell & Schaefer
Published: 2010-09-24 : (Rev. 2016-11-06)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus will convene a hearing to examine difficulties workers face in securing benefits they are entitled to from private long-term disability insurance plans.
Do Private Long-Term Disability Policies Provide the Protection They Promise
Disability Insurance Attorneys Dell & Schaefer are excited to report that Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) will convene a hearing on Tuesday to examine the difficulties workers face in securing benefits they are entitled to from private long-term disability insurance plans.
The hearing, entitled "Do Private Long-Term Disability Policies Provide the Protection They Promise " will take place at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, September 28 in Room 215 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.
At the hearing, Baucus will focus on whether private-sector long-term insurance claims are being unfairly denied or terminated by the companies providing long-term disability insurance covered under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
The hearing will also examine how these private insurance companies have handled workers' appeals of denials and terminations.
Baucus will raise questions about possible improvements that can be made to ensure claimants and beneficiaries of long-term disability insurance plans covered under ERISA are treated fairly.
The hearing can be watched by going to finance.senate.gov/hearings/
Any individual or organization wanting to present their views for inclusion in the hearing record should submit a typewritten, single-spaced statement, not exceeding 10 pages in length.
Title and date of the hearing, and the full name and address of the individual or organization must appear on the first page of the statement.
Statements must be received no later than two weeks following the conclusion of the hearing.
Statements should be mailed (not faxed) to:
Senate Committee on Finance
Attn. Editorial and Document Section
Dirksen Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510-6200
- 1: Disability Income Insurance Tips : California Department of Insurance (2011/11/24)
- 2: Choosing Between Disability Insurance and Critical Illness Insurance : Disabled World (2010/08/22)
- 3: Critical Illness Insurance Information : Colonial Life (2011/02/17)
- 4: Things to Consider When Buying Disability Insurance : Protect Your Income (2015/09/08)
- 5: Action Needed to Address Social Security Disability Insurance Finances : The National Academy of Social Insurance (2013/05/24)
- 6: Disability Insurance Services Campaign: What Will You Say : Disability Insurance Services Inc. (2011/04/25)
- 7: Critical Illness Insurance : Frank N. Darras (2009/10/28)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.