Disability Insurance: The Need Is Now
Synopsis and Key Points:
AccuQuote in the United States explains the benefits of having quality disability insurance.
Main DigestAccuQuote, a leader in providing term life insurance quotes to people across the United States, explains the benefits of disability insurance.
The multi-carrier life insurance quoting and brokerage firm encourages families to include disability insurance in their overall financial plan.
What is it? Disability insurance, also known as disability income insurance, is designed to compensate an insured person for a portion of their lost income because of a disabling injury or illness. How does it work? Benefit payments are made either weekly or monthly for a specified period of time during the continuance of the insured's disability.
Disabilities happen more often than most people think. Here are the facts:
- The odds of suffering from a disability during your working lifetime are four times greater than the odds of dying before the age of 65, according to LIMRA International.
- One-third of all Americans between 35 and 65 will suffer from a disability that will keep them out of work for more than 90 days, according the American Council of Life Insurers.
- A disabling injury occurs every 1.5 seconds, according to National Safety Council Injury Facts.
- 80 percent of U.S. workers will exhaust their savings in only two months without the ability to earn an income, according to the Commissioner's Disability Table.
"It's something we all take for granted - the ability to work," says Byron Udell, founder and CEO of AccuQuote. "But think about it, what would you do if you weren't able to earn any money for 90 days, a year, five years or even longer? How would you and your family pay for the mortgage, food and other bills? How long could your family survive financially? Disability insurance takes all of those worries away."
AccuQuote offers two types of disability insurance; non-cancel-able and guaranteed renewable. In non-cancel-able disability insurance the policy's premium can never be raised above the amount shown in the policy, and benefits will not be reduced as long as the premiums are paid on time.
Guaranteed renewable disability insurance gives the insured the right to renew the policy with the same benefits, but the insurer can increase the premiums, as long as they are increased for all other policyholders in the same class (i.e., having the same characteristics).
"Keep in mind, if you're counting on your group disability insurance, you may want to take a closer look," says Udell. "One overwhelming disadvantage of group disability insurance is that it can be reduced or even terminated if you leave your current employer."
For more information about disability insurance, contact AccuQuote at 800-442-9899.
About AccuQuote - AccuQuote helps consumers find the best values in term life insurance by combining instant online life insurance quotes with the personal service of unbiased life insurance professionals that can help answer questions, identify important issues, and make meaningful recommendations. The company offers consumers an extensive selection of life insurance options, including term life, whole life, and universal life, as well as selected annuities. The website has many handy insurance tools, including a term life insurance calculator to help you figure out how much to buy, a glossary that explains industry terminology, a collection of articles that cover the basics about life insurance and a blog which answers many questions about life insurance. For additional information or to get quotes for affordable term life insurance, please call 1-888-314-4455.
- 1 - Action Needed to Address Social Security Disability Insurance Finances : The National Academy of Social Insurance (2013/05/24)
- 2 - Disability Insurance Services Campaign: What Will You Say : Disability Insurance Services Inc. (2011/04/25)
- 3 - Critical Illness Insurance : Frank N. Darras (2009/10/28)
- 4 - Benefits of Travel Insurance : Greath Owen (2008/12/29)
- 5 - How to File a SSDI Claim : Allsup (2010/01/08)
- 6 - United States Senate Finance Committee to Investigate Long-Term Disability Insurance Claims : Disability Attorneys Dell & Schaefer (2010/09/24)
- 7 - Health Insurance Options for the Self Employed : Disabled World (2009/02/05)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.