Drop in Number of Workers with Disability Insurance
Published 2011-06-09 12:17:56 - (9 years ago). Last updated 2011-06-09 12:40:20 - (9 years ago).
Author: The Hartford
Outline: Drop in the number of Americans without disability insurance coverage to provide an income if they cannot work due to an illness or non-work related injury.
Main DigestThe Hartford Sees Drop In Number Of U.S. Workers With Disability Insurance - Many consumers do not appear to understand their options.
According to new research1 from The Hartford, 49 percent of U.S. workers have short-term disability insurance and 44 percent have long-term disability insurance. This represents a drop of 6 percent and 3 percent, respectively, over last year's survey in the number of Americans with the coverage that provides an income if one cannot work due to an illness or non-work related injury.
"People understand the importance of insuring their home"
"We are concerned about the lower number of Americans who have coverage designed to provide a financial safety net," said Ron Gendreau, executive vice president of The Hartford's Group Benefits. "Approximately 2 million Americans have experienced a disabling illness or injury so far this year.2 Based on our survey, about half of those workers will continue to have an income to help pay for expenses while they are recovering from their disability."
The Hartford's national survey also found:
92 percent of Americans would need to make lifestyle changes if they lost part of their family income for three to six months;
75 percent of consumers base their buying decisions on their fear of experiencing an unexpected financial hardship; and
Only 25 percent of workers completely understand disability insurance.
"People understand the importance of insuring their home," Gendreau said. "Yet by not protecting their paycheck, consumers are essentially putting their home at risk. Consider that losing your income for two years can be the financial equivalent of losing your home."
Americans can estimate their paycheck protection needs by using The Hartford's calculator.
About The Hartford - The Hartford Financial Services Group Inc. (NYSE: HIG) is a leading provider of insurance and wealth management services for millions of consumers and businesses worldwide. A Fortune 150 company, The Hartford is consistently recognized for its superior service and as one of the world's most ethical companies. More information on the company and its financial performance is available at www.thehartford.com.
1. An independent market research agency retained by The Hartford conducted an online survey polling more than 1,000 U.S. adults, aged 18-64, in March 2011.
2. Council of Disability Awareness disability counter.
- 1 - Action Needed to Address Social Security Disability Insurance Finances | The National Academy of Social Insurance (2013-05-24 12:37:00)
- 2 - Disability Insurance Services Campaign: What Will You Say | Disability Insurance Services Inc. (2011-04-25 12:29:00)
- 3 - Critical Illness Insurance | Frank N. Darras (2009-10-28 09:35:38)
- 4 - Benefits of Travel Insurance | Greath Owen (2008-12-29 19:40:08)
- 5 - How to File a SSDI Claim | Allsup (2010-01-08 09:51:23)