Inclusive Technology's MyZone wins prestigious Award for Best Special Educational Resources or Equipment involving ICT
Author: Inclusive Technology
Synopsis and Key Points:
MyZone helps children and adults with learning difficulties to find things on the computer.
Main Digest"The judges liked the way each colorful zone can be configured specifically for the individual, creating their own simple desktop providing a wealth of activities. They found it secure and very easily accessible through speech and pictures. It is easy to use for both the learner and the teacher."
This was the judges' verdict of MyZone from Inclusive Technology (www.inclusive.co.uk) at the 2011 Education Resources Awards which saw MyZone win the prestigious Best Special Educational Resources or Equipment involving ICT Award. MyZone helps children and adults with learning difficulties to find things on the computer. It features large buttons and simple navigation. MyZone allows users to create personal workspaces as well as providing individual 'zones' for each learner to give them easy access to their programs, activities and games.
Ian Bean, SEN teacher and Special Projects Manager for Inclusive Technology, commented:
"It's a great honor to receive this Award. As a teacher of students with special needs, I am all too aware of the need to tailor systems to meet the exact requirements of students. Throughout the development of MyZone, we endeavored to ensure that it provided students with three key elements - equality of opportunity, personalization and complete inclusivity - and we were very pleased that the judges recognized this."
Jamie Munro, Inclusive Technology's Information Team Manager, added:
Inclusive Technology’s Ian Bean (second from left) accepts the Best Special Educational Resources or Equipment involving ICT at the Education Resources Awards
"We are delighted that this Award has recognized the importance of the MyZone program in providing access to computer-based tools and content for pupils with cognitive and physical disabilities. As the Windows computer interface becomes more sophisticated and complex, it presents more of a barrier for these pupils to access programs, music, videos, photographs and the internet.
"MyZone gives pupils a highly visual and intuitive environment where they can access programs, files, photographs and web pages using a variety of simple input devices such as touch screens or switches. By giving teachers the ability to restrict what individual pupils can access on the computer, it also importantly provides a safe environment for them too."
About Inclusive Technology:
Inclusive Technology provides the very best special educational needs software, switches and computer access devices, simple communication aids and assistive technology for learners with a physical disability, sensory impairment or learning difficulty. As well as their own resources such as the SwitchIt!, ReadIt! and Choose and Tell software series, Inclusive offers the best from AbleNet, AMDi, Crick, IntelliTools, Keytools, Maxess, Mayer Johnson, SoftTouch, Traxsys, Widgit and others.
- 1: Launch of Web Portal on Accessible Workplace Technology : U.S. Department of Labor Office of Disability Employment Policy (2014/10/17)
- 2: Secure 3D QR Codes with No Internet Required : The Optical Society (2014/11/14)
- 3: 3dRudder: Foot Powered VR and Gaming Controller : Disabled World (2017/01/02)
- 4: 3dRudder Foot Mouse : Stanislas Chesnais (2020/11/24)
- 5: Tablet Computers for Educational Medium : University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2015/01/23)
- 6: Sitecues: Improving Patron Web Accessibility : Ai Squared (2016/06/02)
- 7: How to Create God Mode in Microsoft Windows 10 : Disabled World (2020/09/04)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.