Tips for Maintaining Your Hearing Aid
Synopsis: A number of tips for maintaining your hearing aid in top condition. A number of tips for maintaining your hearing aid in top condition.
Main DigestA number of tips for maintaining your hearing aid in top condition.
Hearing aids and in particular digital hearing aids are sophisticated piece of technology. In spite of their somewhat fragile appearance, these devices will last for many years, provided the right care and maintenance is preserved. Here are our tips for maintain your hearing aid:
1. Switch it off when not in use - This will ensure the battery will last for longer saving you money in the long run. It will also help ensure that the device will have a working battery when needed. When the device is switch on again always perform a basic hearing test based on the particular hearing aid you have.
2. Remove it completely when not in use - This will ensure that the device does not incur unnecessary wear and tear. The most obvious activities are showering, bathing, sleeping and certain types of physical activities. After removing the device, carefully wipe it down with a dry soft clothe or tissue and remove any earwax which might have accumulated at the end of the aid.
3. Place it in a safe place - When the device is removed, place it in a safe place away from children and pets. If possible, store it in an environment which isn't too cold or too hot. In layman's terms, don't leave it exposed in the sun or vise versa in damp conditions. Consider using a type of dry store device which removes moisture, dries earwax and kills germs.
4. Clean and inspect it often - Chances are that your hearing aid came with cleaning instructions. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the cleaning process and clean the device often. During the cleaning process check the battery compartment for corrosion or rust which might damage the device.
5. Replace the batteries quickly - When the battery runs out, avoid leaving it in the device for long. Replace the battery as soon as you can so you don't have to reprogram it.
Bonus tip - Before you put your hearing aid back in, always make sure that your ears are dry. Because of its sophisticated engineering, damp or wet conditions might damage the device.
Daily cleaning and regular inspection should become a routine task. It will prolong the life of the hearing aid and will also ensure that the device preforms to the same standard as the day you bought it.
Article by UK based start up Hearing Direct. HearingDirect.com offers digital hearing aids at a fraction of High Street prices as well as a free online hearing check which is accurate and quick - www.hearingdirect.com
📢 Discover Related Topics
👍 Share This Information To:
𝕏.com Facebook Reddit
Page Information, Citing and Disclaimer
Disabled World is an independent disability community founded in 2004 to provide disability news and information to people with disabilities, seniors, their family and/or carers. See our homepage for informative reviews, exclusive stories and how-tos. You can connect with us on social media such as X.com and our Facebook page.
Permalink: <a href="https://www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/hearing/hearing-aid-maintenance.php">Tips for Maintaining Your Hearing Aid</a>
Cite This Page (APA): Hearing Direct. (2010, May 12). Tips for Maintaining Your Hearing Aid. Disabled World. Retrieved February 22, 2024 from www.disabled-world.com/assistivedevices/hearing/hearing-aid-maintenance.php
Disabled World provides general information only. Materials presented are never meant to substitute for qualified professional medical care. Any 3rd party offering or advertising does not constitute an endorsement.