Aira Visual Interpreter for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Author: Disabled World : Contact: disabled-world.com
Published: 2017-01-05 : (Rev. 2018-10-07)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Aira visual interpreter for visually impaired brings greater mobility, independence and self confidence to blind.
From exploring new neighborhoods and restaurants in the city, to traveling the globe - Aira empowers the blind to experience their world and surroundings like never before.
Aira is focused on developing transformative remote assistive technology and services that bring greater mobility, independence and self confidence to blind and visually impaired individuals by connecting them, in an Uber style, to a network of certified Agents.
The seeds for starting Aira were planted in 2014 when Suman Kanuganti and Yuja Chang struck up a friendship with a blind communications professional Matt Brock. This led them to begin discussing how Google Glass technology could be used to help the blind and visually impaired become more mobile and independent.
According to the American Foundation for the Blind there are an estimated 20 million blind and low-vision people in the United States.
Aira's goal is to develop leading technology and services that help remove remaining barriers for the visually impaired, expanding their possibilities to live with greater confidence and independence.
Aira Visual Interpreter for the Blind
How Aira Works
Aira's high-tech approach uses a real-time interactive cloud-based dashboard, built to create for the blind an augmented reality context with live data streams from cameras, GPS, and other sensor systems from wearable platforms such as Google Glass and Pivothead. This allows Aira's remote Agents to render live personalized assistance to users in a myriad of daily activities - ranging from navigating busy city streets and catching a bus, to ordering meals from menus at restaurants and literally traveling the globe.
Aira demonstrations are available at CES 2017 at the Sands Pavilion booth #51000
For further information visit: https://aira.io
- 1 - Talking Scientific Calculator for Blind Students : Texas Instruments (2015/09/05)
- 2 - Campus Maps for Students with Visual Impairments : SAS (2020/08/24)
- 3 - Wearable Artificial Vision Device May Help Legally Blind to Read : American Academy of Ophthalmology (2016/10/28)
- 4 - First Artificial Iris Gets FDA Approval : U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (2018/06/11)
- 5 - Acesight Electronic Glasses for Visually Impaired : Acesight (2019/01/04)
- 6 - Aira Visual Interpreter for the Blind and Visually Impaired : Disabled World (2017/01/05)
- 7 - New Artificial Retinas Use 2D Materials : American Chemical Society (ACS) (2018/08/25)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.