Read Naturally® Resources for Blind and Visually Impaired Students Now Available
Author: Read Naturally, Inc.
Synopsis and Key Points:
Read Naturally announces release of Read Naturally Masters Edition (ME) Resources for Blind and Visually Impaired Students.
Main DigestRead Naturally, Inc. announces the release of Read Naturally Masters Edition (ME) Resources for Blind and Visually Impaired Students.
This new set of resource CDs enables blind and visually impaired students to build reading fluency using Braille and large-print versions of Read Naturally's research-proven ME program.
These materials come in response to a growing awareness of the need for Braille fluency tools. Studies indicate that with the development of technologies such as audio books and screen readers, Braille literacy has significantly decreased. A recent study from the National Federation of the Blind shows that less than 10% of legally blind Americans read Braille today, compared to 50% in the 1950s. In addition, a study published in the Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness indicates that visually impaired adults who learn Braille as children are more than twice as likely to be employed as those who do not.
Read Naturally partnered with the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI) to develop new resources to address this growing need.
Read Naturally ME is a structured reading-intervention program that enables students to work independently and at their appropriate fluency level to quickly improve reading proficiency. New Braille and large-print versions of the Read Naturally stories will allow blind and visually impaired students access to these highly-effective materials for the first time.
"Read Naturally is the most effective tool I have found for helping students improve their Braille reading fluency," said Jeri Cleveland, a teacher at TSBVI. "I love the level of autonomy and independence it offers. It is so gratifying to see my students take ownership of their Braille and reading skills."
The resource CDs include two types of files: files for printing the Read Naturally stories in Braille (both Duxbury and Braille2000 format) and files for easily creating large-print versions of the stories. These printed files can be used along with the latest versions of corresponding ME materials. Unit pricing varies from $69 to $159 per level.
For nearly 20 years, Read Naturally has focused on building reading fluency in struggling readers. With the development of Resources for Blind and Visually Impaired Students, Read Naturally continues its mission to help all struggling readers build fluency and become better readers. More information is available at www.readnaturally.com/MEBraille.
About Read Naturally - Read Naturally's innovative, research-proven reading programs provide high-quality interventions and differentiated instruction for struggling readers in a wide range of abilities, from first grade through adults. The company's programs and assessments have helped thousands of students become better readers.
- 1: Seeing Sound: Device Using Auditory Signals Helps Blind See : California Institute of Technology (2015/10/27)
- 2: Electronic Eye Cane Enhances Mobility for Blind : IOSPress_STM (2014/10/20)
- 3: X1 Talks: TV Voice Remote Control for Blind and Visually Impaired : Comcast Corporation (2014/11/12)
- 4: Sonar Technology Aids People with Vision Disabilities : Disabled World (2015/01/23)
- 5: Hearing Impaired Clocks and Vibrating Watches : Disabled World (2009/01/17)
- 6: Bradley Timepiece: Watch for Vision Impaired : Disabled World (2015/03/24)
- 7: Talking Scientific Calculator for Blind Students : Texas Instruments (2015/09/05)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World. Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.